News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Problem of the Fat Man and the Trolley

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 09, 2008, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wechtlein Uns

"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

BadPoison

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"MONSTERS!! All of you!  :D

Sophus

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"MONSTERS!! All of you!  :lol:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

curiosityandthecat

So, what would House do?  :evil:

In my professional opinion (granted, my profession has nothing to do with this, but it sounds good), you kill the one to save the five. Period.

The Sprint Free and Clear Plan is neither free nor clear: discuss.

(Anybody get that reference?)
-Curio

parllagio

I think I would take the choice of doing nothing because that is the choice that doesn't have me spending time in jail for murder. Only pushing the fat man is a crime. And who am I to decide who lives or dies in this scenario? Do all lives have equal value? What if the fat guy is just your average Joe and the five people tied to the train tracks are members of a drug dealing gang. All five have committed murder, robbery, and assault. This explains why they are tied to the train track in the first place. (A rival gang is taking over their territory)  :D

Whitney

I know that in that situation I would not be able to push the fat man, even if I thought it made logical sense.

Btw, how the hell can a fat man be walking if he's fat enough to stop a trolley?  :lol:

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "parllagio"What if the fat guy is just your average Joe and the five people tied to the train tracks are members of a drug dealing gang. All five have committed murder, robbery, and assault. This explains why they are tied to the train track in the first place. (A rival gang is taking over their territory)  :D

That's the beauty of this thought experiment: your decision is always affected by the position and/or relationship to you of those in peril.
-Curio

parllagio

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Oh, come on. Haven't you ever seen the old silent films where the diabolic mad-man has tied the innocent woman to the train tracks? Well, imagine that the jerk-in-black (cause, he's always wearing black) is just really efficient and managed to tie five helpless damsels (sorry, girls; it's just for the sake of argument) to the tracks.

What then?  :D

In that case I change my answer and push the fat man. Only because I am single and if I save the lives of 5 women odds are I can score with at least one of them.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "parllagio"In that case I change my answer and push the fat man. Only because I am single and if I save the lives of 5 women odds are I can score with at least one of them.

Okay, in that case, assume it's five men, no matter how attractive, will never be "into" you. Change your decision?
-Curio

Martian

The one thing that I'd do is look around carefully to see if there was any way that I could be blamed for the situation, and try to avoid it as much as possible. Push someone in front of a trolly? I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison for murder.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Tom62

I five people tied on the tracks cannot stop a trolley then why should one fat man be able to stop it?  I'm not sure that I'd be able to push such a heavy weight over the bridge. It is therefore more likely that the 5 people die and that the fat man beats me up.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

parllagio

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Okay, in that case, assume it's five men, no matter how attractive, will never be "into" you. Change your decision?

Yes, in that case I change back to my original decision. These 5 men are obviously criminals and deserve to be tied to the tracks.  :D

Quote from: "Martian"The one thing that I'd do is look around carefully to see if there was any way that I could be blamed for the situation, and try to avoid it as much as possible. Push someone in front of a trolly? I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison for murder.

That was my original point, no matter how you try to justify it, in this situation if you push the fat man you are committing murder. And probably would be convicted of the same in front of a jury. You have no right to murder the fat man even if you could be saving lives.

They way I originally heard this question, and I will quickly paraphrase so please don't attack the logic, was in a social issues and ethics class. You and 5 friends are exploring a cave with only one entrance/exit. You enter the cave, explore and when leaving the largest of your friends goes through the entrance/exit first and gets stuck. Lucky for you, you always bring dynamite while exploring caves. You have two options, die with all 5 of your friends, or blow the hole where one of your friends is stuck and safely escape with your other 4 friends. No other options available, I know I know, doesn't make much sense but pick one. I am curious if this situation changes anyone's answer to the previous.

bowmore

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"So, what would House do?  :hail:  House  :D
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

Martian

Quote from: "parllagio"They way I originally heard this question, and I will quickly paraphrase so please don't attack the logic, was in a social issues and ethics class. You and 5 friends are exploring a cave with only one entrance/exit. You enter the cave, explore and when leaving the largest of your friends goes through the entrance/exit first and gets stuck. Lucky for you, you always bring dynamite while exploring caves. You have two options, die with all 5 of your friends, or blow the hole where one of your friends is stuck and safely escape with your other 4 friends. No other options available, I know I know, doesn't make much sense but pick one. I am curious if this situation changes anyone's answer to the previous.
Well, if it was 100% certain that there was no other way, then obviously the large guy is going to have to pop. It's either everyone or just him. Since I'm part of the "everyone" group, then I'm going to do what I have to in order to live. But this situation is slightly different, because you can die.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

BadPoison

Quote from: "Martian"
Quote from: "parllagio"They way I originally heard this question, and I will quickly paraphrase so please don't attack the logic, was in a social issues and ethics class. You and 5 friends are exploring a cave with only one entrance/exit. You enter the cave, explore and when leaving the largest of your friends goes through the entrance/exit first and gets stuck. Lucky for you, you always bring dynamite while exploring caves. You have two options, die with all 5 of your friends, or blow the hole where one of your friends is stuck and safely escape with your other 4 friends. No other options available, I know I know, doesn't make much sense but pick one. I am curious if this situation changes anyone's answer to the previous.
Well, if it was 100% certain that there was no other way, then obviously the large guy is going to have to pop. It's either everyone or just him. Since I'm part of the "everyone" group, then I'm going to do what I have to in order to live. But this situation is slightly different, because you can die.

It's also different because the large friend is doomed either way.