News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

An Atheist Behavioral Code?

Started by LARA, November 11, 2008, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Priestly

Just to be contrarian, I voted yes, with caveats. I don't necessarily think that ALL atheists should adopt the same moral code any more than I would expect all established religions to have the exact same moral code. I do think that atheists should start organizing with others who have similar behavioral codes and ideals. The point behind this kind of organization would not be just to form another social group. It would be to reduce discrimination against atheists and increase public acceptance of atheism.

Check out this video on youTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fQA9mt-Mg

It points out that there are US states that still have laws preventing atheists from holding public office. It also gives a quote by the first President Bush (I have not personally verified it) where he says he believes that atheists should not be considered US citizens.

I can't remember where I ran across it, but I saw a statistic saying that 16% of the US population does not believe in god. This is a large minority that has almost no voice in politics or any other aspect of public life. I am regularly annoyed by the Religious Right, and I see no 'Secular Center' to balance that out.  It seems that only the communists support actual atheism, and I am a fan of free markets, so I can't go there.

I haven't really looked for groups advocating the rights of atheists in the US. Does anyone know of such a group? I'm curious.

Being part of an organized group with similar ideas doesn't mean you can't be a free-thinker as well.  Refusing to organize with others who have similar goals does mean you will be politically powerless.
Elvis Priestly

Having fun at the expense of established religion]http://www.thechurchofmike.org[/url]

LARA

Hey, thanks for voting everbody   :D
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Wechtlein Uns

It seems to me that any group seeking to enlarge it's social cohesiveness must have a standard by which to judge threats to the community. It has been demonstrated that moral codes are not the prerogative of religion only, so to say that atheism is automatically opposed to such moral codes is rubbish. Moral codes don't arise because religions tell them to. The arise because communities need them to maintain order and growth. If atheists are serious about establishing a community or organizational presence, a moral code is a requirement.

I will say this however, the lack of religious authority on the atheist side means a recognition that no moral code is absolute. It would be much easier to have a set of moral guidelines that shall no longer apply when no longer useful. Nobody said a moral system HAD to be absolutely followed, and being free thinkers that we are, I think everyone would be more comfortable allowing a moral code that is allowed to be revised and debated indefinitely, rather than a canon set of laws that prescribe death for breaking them.

Either way, without a set of regulations, society can not exist.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Akwo

I think Atheism is too broad to have any code other than the disbelief in a God, but it would be nice to have a bit of unification.