News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Random Morality Poll

Started by MommaSquid, July 05, 2006, 05:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

Pop quiz.  

Have you ever lied on a job application and been caught?

I thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Jassman

No, I actually haven't. But I will in the future if it will help out with interesting discussion!
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

MommaSquid

I'm currently looking for a job and really hate filling out applications.  The whole "Big Brother" issue really grates my cheese.  I found this article to be interesting.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm

"While some people are not concerned about background investigations, others are uncomfortable with the idea of an investigator poking around in their personal history. In-depth background checks could unearth information that is irrelevant, taken out of context, or just plain wrong. A further concern is that the report might include information that is illegal to use for hiring purposes or which comes from questionable sources."

If I do a bad job, fire me.  But don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong.  Unfortunately, in order to earn money, sometimes we have to agree to things that we don't really agree with.

Whitney

I haven't.  I figure that even if I thought it would be a good idea to lie they would eventually figure it out when I was unable to do what my application claimed.  

I don't know how I feel about background checks.  I personally don't have anything in my past that would be unearthed by one.  Well, unless they go through the trouble of looking through my parent's divorce case.  My mother accused me of tampering with her car then decided to be a bitch and place that in the court papers.  I never touched her pos car other than to look inside and show her how bad her wiring looked after she found out what was wrong with it (the battery cable had wiggled loose).  Anyway, that's certainly something I wouldn't want showing up in a background search, especially since I didn't do anything.

But there are people who did something illegal when they were very young (drunk driving, petty theft, etc) and even though minors usually have their records 'erased' they  aren't really erased and can be found through an in-depth background check.  I also don't think they should look more than 10 years back in an background search...people can change and shouldn't have to be haunted by their past.

In a similar situation.  I was going to have my bf be officially added to my apt lease because that's part of the rules...no roomates without having them on the lease.  Well it asks if he's ever been suied by a landlord in the past.  He has and it should be irrelevant since I have paid the rent every month for a full year.  Plus he got suied due to his roomates not keeping up their end of the bargan, he just happend to be first on the lease.  So now a background check of that nature will make him look irresponsible and they could possibly tell me that he can't live here.  So, I'm just not going to add him to the lease.

What I have never understood are credit checks being run in association with job applications.  What is the point?  If your credit is bad then that's probably why you are trying to find a job or a better job.

Big Mac

Wow I think we've found someone possibly more paranoid than me, you guys!! And the cool thing is he or she likes guns (I can't tell, MommaSquid could be an ironic name....).
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

TwistOfCain

I've never lied on an application. Of course, I've only ever filled out three, and I haven't done anything that'd make me scared of background checks.
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Whitney

Quote from: "Big Mac"Wow I think we've found someone possibly more paranoid than me, you guys!! And the cool thing is he or she likes guns (I can't tell, MommaSquid could be an ironic name....).

MommaSquid's a she.  

I'm not sure if anyone can be more paranoid than you :P

Big Mac

Probably not, I've rigged a way to sleep with my Nagant M1895 right in arms reach.....putting it in my boot (which is beside my bed, I don't sleep with my boots on) with the barrel down. This way my cat won't knock it down and if she does, I doubt she could pull it out. Now that's paranoid.

As for a job application I wouldn't say I've lied per se, but more of trumped up myself within the limits of truth. I use a lawyer's kind of presentation.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "laetusatheos"What I have never understood are credit checks being run in association with job applications.  What is the point?  If your credit is bad then that's probably why you are trying to find a job or a better job.

I'm not defending it, mind you...but, many employers have been persuaded of the statistical correlation between negative employment outcomes and credit usage.  As with most shallow uses of statistical evidence, skimming the surface of a report or using numerical substitutes, such as the FICO score may make it easier for human resources personnel to thin the number of applicants, but many otherwise qualified people will get tossed out in the process.

As this is the world we live in, let it be a lesson to all.  Unless you plan to buck the system, or find a way to forego being a part of it, protect your credit at all costs.  So much of what you want to accomplish may depend upon it.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/bus ... edempl.htm

MommaSquid

Yes, I have become totally paranoid in my old age.  I sleep with my Ruger P89 next to the bed.  And I need more OC pepper spray.

But I digress...

My credit is excellent.  However, because I move a lot in support of my husband's career, my job history does not present me in a good light.  I've left several jobs after 3 or 4 months and I find it's easier to leave those really short employment terms off an application.  

I've never been caught fudging (lying sounds so negative, but everyone likes fudge).  Maybe someday I'll get caught, but it won't be the worst thing that could ever happen.  

That ship has already sailed.

Asmodean Prime

Wow, you guys are so 21st century.  Here is a pic of my weapon of choice.  What's nice is that when not fending off bad guys, it can prepare a nice chop for my wok.  Try doing that with a Ruger or a Nagant M1895.  ;)
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room27/729993/chef.jpg

TwistOfCain

See, I just keep a broadsword and a pair of knives next to my bed. I prefer that visceral feeling of driving a blade into something over shooting.

But I've said too much...*shifty eyes*
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Court

I'm pretty sure I sleep with my kittens and no weapons. :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Court"I'm pretty sure I sleep with my kittens and no weapons. :)

Helllooo? kittens? sleeping?  Never shut your eyes around cats.  They are devious...you'll be lucky to wake up.  Look at these three...isn't it obvious they're up to no good...I never ever turn my back on them.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room27/7 ... %20035.jpg

Court

Oh my goodness, they are so cute, how could they possible be up to no good?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]