News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

"Did you used to go to church?"

Started by Chimera, October 31, 2008, 03:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera

I take public transportation to school every day and the other day my bus came rolling down the street with a huge ad plastered all over it. The ad asked, "Did you used to go to church? Tell me about it." and then gave a web address where one could take a survey and explain his or her religious background and current beliefs. I had a lot of fun with this one, even though it was just a ploy to try to get me to see a movie called Lord, Save Us from Your Followers. If you'd like to take the survey, here's the link:

http://www.whyiquitchurch.com

You can opt out of the movie tickets; just leave that part of the survey blank.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

quizlixx

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

Doesn't apply to me. I've been inside a church a maximum of 4-5 times in my twenty-some years long life.

That said, is not the correct way of saying it: "did you use_ to go to church?"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Asmodean"Doesn't apply to me. I've been inside a church a maximum of 4-5 times in my twenty-some years long life.

Indeed it isn't ... I wrote the following in the final section:

QuoteWas brought up RC, stopped believing (agnostic) at the age of 13 and stopped attending at about age 15. Attended Anglican church at age 35 for 2 years believing I had no right to teach my 5 year old daughter not to believe (or more to give her balance), still didn't believe but liked the community and stopped 2 years later because of certain individuals in that church (being honoured as exemplary members when I knew they weren't  what they appeared to be). Eventually realised I was atheist when I "met" virtual fundamentalists on the net whilst becoming increasingly science oriented.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Chimera

Quote from: "Asmodean"Doesn't apply to me. I've been inside a church a maximum of 4-5 times in my twenty-some years long life.

Yeah, the grammatical horridness made me cringe a little. LOL
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Kyuuketsuki

So, anyone else get a mail like this?

Quote from: "Dave"James,

Thanks for completing our survey. You have had quite a journey. Are you fulfilled now?

Dave
WhyIQuitChurch.com
I replied:

Am I fulfilled? What an odd question.

When I eventually realised I was an atheist I finally found a position (a philosophical stance if you like) with which I was completely at ease with, the nightmares stopped (religion! The best mind**** ever ... sorry about the bad language but I am not alone in that view) and I began to truly live. So yes you could say I am "fulfilled" though it isn't the term I would use ... I'm very happy with my life.

James

Kyu

Whitney

I got this reply by email:

QuoteThanks for completing our survey. Many times people have distorted the view of God for others. You can view the movie yourself on a PC at www.lordsaveusthemovie.com. Give me some feedback if you watch it.

Dave
WhyIQuitchurch.com

When it got to the info part to get tickets I put that they should show it in dallas instead of providing an address.  I guess the guy meant to say that I can watch a preview on the website because I couldn't find the full movie.  I haven't replied yet but plan on doing so later.

Wraitchel

They're Christians. They are trying to rope in people like us.

Where's the shaking off the heebie-jeebies icon?!

Wraitch

Titan

Isn't that rather unfair to Christians as a whole? "Roping" someone in sounds deceptive and forceful. Either one is a generalization that doesn't describe the community as a whole.
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Whitney

At least they are trying to promote coexistance rather than spreading hate.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Titan"Isn't that rather unfair to Christians as a whole? "Roping" someone in sounds deceptive and forceful. Either one is a generalization that doesn't describe the community as a whole.

Not really because religions need converts to survive and there are various subtle (and often deceptive) ways they achieve that ... the one that springs to mind is "The Alpha Course" which is, to my mind, an utter con job yet is being taken up by many, many churches across the UK.

Kyu

DennisK

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "Titan"Isn't that rather unfair to Christians as a whole? "Roping" someone in sounds deceptive and forceful. Either one is a generalization that doesn't describe the community as a whole.

Not really because religions need converts to survive and there are various subtle (and often deceptive) ways they achieve that ... the one that springs to mind is "The Alpha Course" which is, to my mind, an utter con job yet is being taken up by many, many churches across the UK.

Kyu

I agree.  While not every Christian or Muslim goes on missions to convert, there is still an element to most facets of religions that reaches out to 'sell' their god.  It would make no sense not to do this if you were in the business of religion.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp