News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Categorical Moral Imperatives

Started by Vichy, June 04, 2008, 01:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vichy

If I refuse to buy a car, I am not imprisoned or shot.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Fritz

jcm

Quote from: "Vichy"If I refuse to buy a car, I am not imprisoned or shot.

No if you refuse to buy a car you don't have to pay taxes. If you don't work you don't pay taxes. If you don't buy anything you don't pay taxes. No one is going to imprison you if you don't pay taxes.  But if you want to be included in society and reap the rewards of security and infrastructure, then you should pay your taxes.

Here is where your taxes go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... dget,_2007

19% goes to defense ($548 billion last year). Without this part you would not have the freedom and security in this nation. You can not protect yourself by yourself. If you want a military, pay for it!

You should go live in antarctica maybe you could rule over some penguins. you could command them to bring you some fish and build you an igloo. Good luck when you are invaded.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Will

I have to wonder if Vichy attended public schools, too.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Asmodean

Quote from: "jcm"19% goes to defense ($548 billion last year). Without this part you would not have the freedom and security in this nation. You can not protect yourself by yourself. If you want a military, pay for it!

You should go live in antarctica maybe you could rule over some penguins. you could command them to bring you some fish and build you an igloo. Good luck when you are invaded.

Why should freedom and security depend on military strength?

There are nations that do not have a military force to speak of or have a very weak military, however, as long as they leave everybody else alone, they are usually left alone too. Before you give me the "there is always someone wanting something I have" speech, I have to say that there are countries in the world that have everything the USA or China or Russia for that matter have and more and they don't spend a fifth of their budgets on military. Why isn't every last one of them invaded and conquered a long time ago?

In addition to that, in todays world of alliances, having a massive military is less useful than having reliable neighbours to ally yourself with. In fact, large military forces are nothing but a waste of money and manpower, alliances on the other hand can be useful for oh, so many things.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

myleviathan

Quote from: "jcm"You should go live in antarctica maybe you could rule over some penguins. you could command them to bring you some fish and build you an igloo. Good luck when you are invaded.

This reminds me of an episode of Futurama. The penguins in Antartica were overbreeding so penguin hunting was made legal. Bender accidently gets reprogrammed to 'penguin mode', and becomes a penguin. He protects the penguins from the hunters and they start attacking everyone. The episode concludes with all of the penguins getting eaten by a killer whale.

Here's a picture of Bender feeding his Penguin babies. Funny stuff.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

jcm

Quote from: "Asmodean"There are nations that do not have a military force to speak of or have a very weak military, however, as long as they leave everybody else alone, they are usually left alone too.

You mean like Kuwait.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

jcm

Quote from: "myleviathan"
Quote from: "jcm"You should go live in antarctica maybe you could rule over some penguins. you could command them to bring you some fish and build you an igloo. Good luck when you are invaded.

This reminds me of an episode of Futurama. The penguins in Antartica were overbreeding so penguin hunting was made legal. Bender accidently gets reprogrammed to 'penguin mode', and becomes a penguin. He protects the penguins from the hunters and they start attacking everyone. The episode concludes with all of the penguins getting eaten by a killer whale.

I never watch futurama and i don't know why. maybe i should get a couple of seasons on dvd. awesome.

myleviathan

Quote from: "jcm"I never watch futurama and i don't know why. maybe i should get a couple of seasons on dvd. awesome.

Futurama is kind of hit or miss. One episode can be unbearably boring. Then another can be so funny it hurts. Get a used copy of a season from Amazon or half.com or something.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Will

If you see no other episodes, see "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". Of all the Star Trek lampoons in history, it is by far the best.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jcm

Quote from: "Willravel"If you see no other episodes, see "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". Of all the Star Trek lampoons in history, it is by far the best.

Awesome! I watched it online, thanks!

Here is one of the better episodes of family guy imo

"http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Family-Guy-Petergeist-(full-epo)-6b06.html"

enjoy

jcm

Quote from: "myleviathan"

do you know the name of this episode?

Will

Quote from: "jcm"do you know the name of this episode?
The Birdbot of Ice-catraz.

Asmodean

Quote from: "jcm"
Quote from: "Asmodean"There are nations that do not have a military force to speak of or have a very weak military, however, as long as they leave everybody else alone, they are usually left alone too.

You mean like Kuwait.

No, Not necesserilly. Look at Sweden and Iceland for examples.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

jcm

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "jcm"

You mean like Kuwait.

No, Not necesserilly. Look at Sweden and Iceland for examples.

This is why no one will mess with iceland:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... n2Dg&hl=en

Asmodean

The fact that that is the corner stone of Iceland's safety is highly debateable.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.