News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

are there any musicians here?

Started by applesauce, April 01, 2012, 06:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

I play the bassoon. Which likely isn't one the instruments you're looking for.  :D

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Radiant on April 06, 2012, 05:21:48 AM
I play the bassoon. Which likely isn't one the instruments you're looking for.  :D

Oooh, what exactly is a bassoon? :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Harmonie

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 06, 2012, 07:17:05 AM
Quote from: Radiant on April 06, 2012, 05:21:48 AM

Oooh, what exactly is a bassoon? :)

It's a low double-reed woodwind instrument

Or if that means nothing to you here's a Youtube video of somebody playing one.  :D

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Nihilist

I play drums, have for around 20 years not professionally though. But I am pretty good(I think so at least)

Guardian85

Quote from: Nihilist on April 06, 2012, 11:23:55 PM
I play drums, have for around 20 years not professionally though. But I am pretty good(I think so at least)

You're a drummer, too? Cool!
I have played for a good 17 years now, myself. 8)
Are you a properly trained drummer, or just some dude with a drumset in his garage?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 07, 2012, 08:27:51 PM

Are you a properly trained drummer, or just some dude with a drumset in his garage?
Aren't they the best kind?  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2012, 08:34:04 PM

That depends on wheter you want a guy who can actually play or just beat on a drum. Big difference.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

I played guitar, but never got very good because it was during my party days.  Though I can pick up a guitar and learn pretty much anything pretty quick.  I played clarinet from 4th grade through 8th grade and I'm sure I could relearn it in about a day.  Yes I realize it is usually played by girls and no I don't care! I was young and very impressionable and my godmother played it for 8 years. Plus I loved Beavis and butthead and was surrounded by girls with a wood... wind.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2012, 08:34:04 PM

In the world of RPG, it's comparing a wizard to a sorcerer. The first rely on skill and are usually more competent in their early years, but they tend to be poor at jamming. The second rely on talent and get progressively more competent with practice. They tend to be very good improvisers.

It's kind of like that with all instruments, vocals included.

So to answer your question, for a rock band making their own music, the garage variety musicians are usually the best. For a large coordinated outfit playing off a notebook, the "properly trained" ones are best.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

musicality

I'm a pianist :)
Although my time is spent sparingly...college has me in its reigns as well...:(
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Tank

Set as sticky for new members to add themselves.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

rickrocks

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 02, 2012, 10:29:54 AM
My last endeavour (last year) was a metal outfit called MetalTürd which ended as it started - in drunken mayhem. 'Twas a glorious last flicker of light from several aging, tired old metal Dads! We booked rehearsal rooms and everything...

We covered:

Warriors of Ghengis Khan - Bad News (band of The Young Ones cast)
Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
The Gods made Heavy Metal - Manowar
Blitzkrieg - Blitzkrieg
I wanna rock - Twisted Sister.

For a few months we were True Brothers of Heavy Metal but we sucked. It was a hilarious riot of fun - more fun than I ever had when I took it seriously many years previously.

Alas, I am in London, England... and am a rubbish rhythm guitarist (it took me 20 years to work that out!).

Best of luck... Death to False Metal...

I know someone who works with Manowar. He actually goes on tour with  them. He handles the keyboard orchestrations etc. Has been to Europe several times on tour.

Check out my sons' band, Hubris. http://www.facebook.com/thetruehubris They play locally, but have made a few road swings to NYC, Pittsburgh, Rochester, etc. Their first CD release is to happen shortly. I'm a musician, and I say their pretty effen good!

Firebird

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 07, 2012, 09:15:55 PM
I played guitar, but never got very good because it was during my party days.  Though I can pick up a guitar and learn pretty much anything pretty quick.  I played clarinet from 4th grade through 8th grade and I'm sure I could relearn it in about a day.  Yes I realize it is usually played by girls and no I don't care! I was young and very impressionable and my godmother played it for 8 years. Plus I loved Beavis and butthead and was surrounded by girls with a wood... wind.

I played clarinet too, and saxophone. Met most of my early girlfriends through music, a couple of them because I sat next to them in the clarinet section. The gender imbalance didn't bother me one bit ;)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

not your typical...

I've been playing piano for 13 years. :D I'd love to help out. Anything to get me out of the cage. :) I live in Philly though, so getting to Central Park might be a bit of a challenge. But alas, if I can still be useful, I'll try my darndest. ;D
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Harmonie

I just got a tenor saxophone, so I shall be playing that now, too.

Here it is. It's so pretty!  ;D