News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Japanese culture

Started by Abletony, July 26, 2011, 10:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yagi-Atama

I, Yagi-Atama, am currently living in Japan; I`ve got to tell you, life here is far better than it ever was in the west. A lot of stores are open 24/7, there`s always a convenient vending machine around, the prettiest girls in the world all are right here- and one of the best things; no feminists.  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Yagi-Atama on July 29, 2011, 04:44:52 PM
I, Yagi-Atama, am currently living in Japan; I`ve got to tell you, life here is far better than it ever was in the west. A lot of stores are open 24/7, there`s always a convenient vending machine around, the prettiest girls in the world all are right here- and one of the best things; no feminists.  ;D
Where did you live before you moved to Japan?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Yagi-Atama

Yagi-Atama

Speaking of which, if there are any Japanese here;

日本にいるなら、あそこに残るべきだよ。オーストラリアとかアメリカなどは文化が全然ないからな。実は、文化の変わりに、フェミニスト、つまり、男嫌い、ばかりいる。俺は外国人として分かるよ。

Tank

Quote from: Yagi-Atama on July 29, 2011, 05:04:15 PM
Speaking of which, if there are any Japanese here;

日本にいるなら、あそこに残るべきだよ。オーストラリアとかアメリカなどは文化が全然ないからな。実は、文化の変わりに、フェミニスト、つまり、男嫌い、ばかりいる。俺は外国人として分かるよ。
I'm not aware of any Japanese speakers here.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Melmoth

Quote from: MinnesotaMikeMost young people obsessed with Japan don't seem to know much about their history or the complexities of their culture. It's typically just an anime phase that about 1 in 4 of the kids were into while I was in high school. Every now and then some new fad comes along and becomes cool simply because it's foreign. Anime, manga, drifting, martial arts, architecture, tentacles... fascinating to the right people, but that appears to be the extent of their interest/knowledge.

I'll happily fess up to being one of those. I like a few animes and some mangas, all while knowing sod all about Japan. I'd say that's because they're incidental to each other. I like the band Caravan Palace because they're good, not because they're French.

Actually, I think it's a shame that anime and manga tend to get seen as just composite parts of a greater, juvenile fetish for Japan - as opposed to simply two more media platforms, which is what they are - because it means people can only approach them from a fairly jaded perspective. There is gold out there... admittedly you have to sift through rivers of shit to find it but that's the same with music and film.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Crow

For me Japan and the UK (my nationality) are like the bird and the bat, both have similar characteristics but very different from each other and I find this fascinating.

I have spent two months in Japan (I highly recommend doing this as its cheaper than a 2 week holiday) and want to go back for a year or two so I can properly explore the country outside of Tokyo. However my Japanese isn't good and not really had the time to study it properly.

@Yagi-Atama I wouldn't say that they are lacking in culture but is poor in comparison due to them being new countries and not having the time to develop a deep routed culture.
Retired member.

MiiriChan

Well, the Japanese style of dress is one thing.  Look up Japanese street styles.
They seem to be just as interested in us as we are in them.
The Ganguro style of Japan is a play off of the "California Girls" look.  They either are very overdramatic(quite possible look at lolita style) or like to make fun of us crazy americans(also very possible).
One way or the other people from different cultures look at each culture that is vastly different from their's and can become quite interested in the culture.  I think that the reason for that is a subconcious desire to understand how we all became such different people all over the world.  Was it because of the place our ancestor's settled?  Or some other unknown reason?  Who really knows?

Buddhasansocie

I didn't feel like reading all of the posts so this may have already been said. Japanese kids are just as interested in our culture as we are in their's. In Japan, the youth are wearing cloths with American writing, listening to American music, BASEBALL (enough said), and other not so apparent things too. Things such as questioning elders, fast food, and marriage constructs. Only one of the previous things I consider a bad thing. I guess what made me post on this thread was how sad it made me. There are things that people in the U.S. could learn from the Japanese. For example, when I was there, I saw a bunch of gulf clubs just sitting on the side of the road. Apparently someone didn't want to take them with them on the bus and just left them there, planning on picking them up later. Of course it was a, small town but I have never been anywhere in the U.S. where someone could do something like that. I don't know what the point is but it bothers me that so many people question why other people are curious and participate in other cultures. The world would be a better place if people experienced what other people experience and only ask two questions....  Does this hurt anyone?... Is this fun?

Asmodean

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on July 29, 2011, 05:45:38 AM
drifting
Where I'm from, we call it "driving-to-work-in-winter-before-the-sand-truck-gets-a-chance-to-show-up"  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

placeboaddiction

I'm a quarter Japanese...and I'll just say with my own experience, and my own opinion..(meaning, yes you may see the world differently, or may not have been raised as I have..blah blah blah) we glamorize the culture a LOT..but they do the same to us. Essentially, though different in perspective of world, they are all human like the rest of us.

People just get into stuff. Some people like pogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs