News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Recent posts

Current Events / Re: Israeli-Hamas war
Last post by Tank - April 14, 2024, 03:59:21 PM
Well Iran sent 300+ drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles at Israel. About 3 got through. Defence by USA, UK, Israel and Jordan.
Life As An Atheist / Re: Does atheism have anything...
Last post by Tank - April 14, 2024, 03:53:29 PM
Quote from: zorkan on April 03, 2024, 12:48:25 PMOctopus pizza. You should be ashamed.
Do you know what it means to be an octopus?
It's brain is spread throughout its body and its arms can each think separately.

Adrian Tchaikovsky is an SF writer with an odd pedigree he was a zoologist at one point. In one of his books he deals with genetically engineered octopi and does a lot with the dispersed intelligence in great depth.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Doesn't fit under any othe...
Last post by Tank - April 14, 2024, 03:47:58 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 13, 2024, 05:27:00 PM^ Motorcycle courier was one of the more dangerous jobs.

My wife's uncle was one. He got blown off his bike and hurt his knee just enough to be invalided out. He was Canadian and reckoned it was the best thing that ever happened to him because of the war pension he got.

Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by zorkan - April 14, 2024, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: Me_Be on April 14, 2024, 09:13:19 AMThere is already a potentially infinite period of time where you didn't exist, which ended when you were born. And if you return to the state you were in before you were born after you die, what's stopping you from existing again and again and again, because the very concept of 'you' is already known by the ''Actual'' direct experience of being aware of being aware in the first place.

Entropy.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: what is the worst job you ...
Last post by zorkan - April 14, 2024, 12:11:31 PM
I felt like saying to her why don't you use that brain.
Software engineering might have been a good role for her.
Her social skills were very poor but being with slightly crazy people might have been to her benefit.
I suspect that someone had told her about accountancy and she believed it.

That was my route. Started taking accountancy exams, but found it deadly dull.
Moved to software engineering and so much happier with the challenge and the oddball people!
Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by Me_Be - April 14, 2024, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 07, 2024, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: Me_Be on April 05, 2024, 04:27:03 PMAwareness is the only ONE real reality.
Explain. What precludes other realities from existing?
I don't think nothing precludes other realities existing since the word ''other'' is simply a different 'appearance' of the same ONE existence. The claim 'I exist' is the same experience for every person, and although every person's experience of existence is different, the difference is simply an appearance of the same one aware real existence.

For example: I believe the actual possibility of there being a conscious experience where consciousness is able to be aware it is aware, appears to itself as an ''other' where the illusion of duality is born.

Thought creates a duality, where the same one reality splits into many; into many existing parts by being aware it is aware. Suddenly there is an awareness of I am a ''person'' or a ''self''

This introspection points to the very fact that we are all the same person being different parts of the same one existence unaware of the 'other' experiences; as all 'other' experiences are happening simultaneously all at once within the same one aware reality.

It seems there's just one reality appearing as the many, so yes, on the one hand; it seems there are many different realities, but on the other hand, those ''other's'' are unavailable since they are simply part but NEVER apart of the same one infinite aware existence.

There is already a potentially infinite period of time where you didn't exist, which ended when you were born. And if you return to the state you were in before you were born after you die, what's stopping you from existing again and again and again, because the very concept of 'you' is already known by the ''Actual'' direct experience of being aware of being aware in the first place.

That's the only explanation I've got for the ONE and true real reality, which seems feasible to me right now. It's what I believe anyway, but doesn't mean it's seen this way for every person. It's just my opinion, due to how I perceive reality as and through the lens of my own personal direct experience of what thinking on a philosophical human level means to me here.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: what is the worst job you ...
Last post by Icarus - April 14, 2024, 02:10:02 AM
^ an exceptional mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Last post by Dark Lightning - April 13, 2024, 05:27:00 PM
^ Motorcycle courier was one of the more dangerous jobs.
Last post by billy rubin - April 13, 2024, 05:00:54 PM
my gran dfather worked on the canal duri g constru tion as  a telegraph operator. went on to ride an indian across france in the US signal corps during the great war
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
Last post by Recusant - April 13, 2024, 03:33:43 PM
Good news, Tom. Onward !  :thumb: