News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Learning Russian

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 13, 2019, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I are going on a two week river cruise in Russia in July, so I've been studying Russian.  Geez, it's hard!  First, my brain would not process the alphabet, because they have several letters that look like a Western alphabet but have a completely different sound.  H is N, B is V, C is S, etc.  Then they have backwards letters and other stuff I've never seen.  But the different sounding letters just did not compute in my brain for about 3 months.  I'd been sounding those letters like we do for too long.  Now I've conquered that, but the grammar is inscrutable.  I'm hoping to be able to find a bathroom and order a vodka sometime on my trip, but a detailed conversation is going to have a wait for a while.  It's been a challenging task.  Anyone here speak Russian?

Sandra Craft

I wouldn't even dare try, but how about this:

Then there's this, a little less serious:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Yeah, I probably should have been satisfied with the very basic phrases and then flushed it all after the trip, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

xSilverPhinx

I wish I did! But alas, the only work I know is cyka...and I wouldn't recommend saying that to anybody on your trip.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2019, 03:22:31 AM
I wish I did! But alas, the only work I know is cyka...and I wouldn't recommend saying that to anybody on your trip.

;D  I'm not even going to ask.  My Russian is limited to da, and nyet.  Oh, and pravda, which I only know because it's a newspaper.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 14, 2019, 05:12:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2019, 03:22:31 AM

;D  I'm not even going to ask.  My Russian is limited to da, and nyet.  Oh, and pravda, which I only know because it's a newspaper.

Vodka is simply pronounced "vode-ka".  Water is "voe-da".  The "k" is diminutive, so vodka simply means "little water".   

viocjit

Меня зовут Антони. Я Француз. Мне 25 лет .
Я говорю немножко по-Русский но плохо говорить.

My name is Anthony. I'm French. I'm 25 years old.
I speak a few Russian but speak it poorly.