News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

this is totally weird

my number two daughter showed me that japan now has musical celebritites thar are completely artificial-- holograms and vocaloid voice softwre:

^^^this one has apparently been around since 2008 and has a recorded repertoire of 100,000 songs. live concerts with real accompanists and real fans.

the character started out with a template from a voice actress, and then morphed into a hologrammatic live action character.

how long before we have virtual poiticians?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Buddy

Been kind of in a music rut lately so I've been going back and listening to old favorites. Pretty sure this will always be my favorite song

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

Tallred, I approve of your choice of music. 

The Pianist appears to be Juja Wang who is not only an acclaimed virtuoso but also a sexy chick. She can be seen and heard on a variety of You Tube vids.  The orchestra and conductor are pretty good at what they do as well.

hermes2015

Quote from: TallRed on December 19, 2019, 10:31:44 PM
https://youtu.be/xOnZ1-sOCwo

Thank you for this; we seem to share the same interest in music. Do you like 20th century music in general?

I usually find Messiaen's religiosity tiresome, but I like this piece very much. Yuja Wang and Gustavo Dudamenl are an explosive combination, really in their element in this performance.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

TallRed

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 20, 2019, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: TallRed on December 19, 2019, 10:31:44 PM
https://youtu.be/xOnZ1-sOCwo

Thank you for this; we seem to share the same interest in music. Do you like 20th century music in general?

I usually find Messiaen's religiosity tiresome, but I like this piece very much. Yuja Wang and Gustavo Dudamenl are an explosive combination, really in their element in this performance.
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I like a wide variety of eras of music. I'm especially fascinated by large ensembles. Schoenberg's Gurrelieder, for instance is underrated, in my opinion. The orchestration, I think, is masterful. With his huge orchestra, he could have just bludgeoned their lister with volumes of unrelenting sound, but like most composers who use big ensembles, he uses the tutti sections as a punctuation mark. The rest of the time, it's almost like chamber music.

I find the same in Turangalila. I'm especially entranced by Messiaen's use of the ondes martenot. I don't find it gimmicky at all. The fact that the symphony is about joy is a welcome relief for me. The world seems consumed by negativity, so that's why I recommended it.

As to your other question, in every era I find works of genius alongside pieces of sheer dreck, so I pick and choose. When I was just out of college, I played part time in a semi-professional chamber orchestra. The musical director was especially fond of 20th century music, Stravinsky in particular. So we played scaled down versions of Petrushka, The Firebird, and Rite of Spring. We also played a fair amount of Bartok. It's becoming harder to find Bartok on a program, for whatever reason. We also played some of Elliott Carter's chamber orchestra works. I don't recall liking them, but they were interesting.

hermes2015

Quote from: TallRed on December 20, 2019, 04:42:31 PM
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I like a wide variety of eras of music. I'm especially fascinated by large ensembles. Schoenberg's Gurrelieder, for instance is underrated, in my opinion. The orchestration, I think, is masterful. With his huge orchestra, he could have just bludgeoned their lister with volumes of unrelenting sound, but like most composers who use big ensembles, he uses the tutti sections as a punctuation mark. The rest of the time, it's almost like chamber music.

I find the same in Turangalila. I'm especially entranced by Messiaen's use of the ondes martenot. I don't find it gimmicky at all. The fact that the symphony is about joy is a welcome relief for me. The world seems consumed by negativity, so that's why I recommended it.

As to your other question, in every era I find works of genius alongside pieces of sheer dreck, so I pick and choose. When I was just out of college, I played part time in a semi-professional chamber orchestra. The musical director was especially fond of 20th century music, Stravinsky in particular. So we played scaled down versions of Petrushka, The Firebird, and Rite of Spring. We also played a fair amount of Bartok. It's becoming harder to find Bartok on a program, for whatever reason. We also played some of Elliott Carter's chamber orchestra works. I don't recall liking them, but they were interesting.

I have loved Bartok's music for a very long time and still recall with fondness the Boulez version of Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, especially the night music movement. Stravinsky is another favourite composer of mine. I can live without Carter. As for big works, the Mahler 8 is in a class with Gurrelieder, not forgetting some of the large scale pieces by Berlioz, Wagner, and Richard Strauss. As I grow older I am listening more to chamber music, especially Schubert and Debussy.

Sorry, was still going to ask what instrument you play.
― Charles Eames

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

Icarus

^ Billy really should get back on his meds..........F'crise sake that ain't app music. That is ............I'll be generous...............creative cacaphony.  App music gotta use the Zither, banjo, or washtub bass or some other cleverly crafted instrument of hillbilly creativity.   ;D

billy rubin