News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

shit fire the land speed races in july were cancelled. not enough checks came in.

my registration is rolled over to august. but that means the kids will be in school and they may not take the 8 days off it takes to get there and race. so its up in the air.

but ive lost 10 pounds, and im down to where i can put on my leathers by myself. ill keep on losing weight, and ill be around 186- something in 10 more pounds.

ill have time to weld up a better exhauzt system too.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Well nuts. You can't win for losing Billy.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

well, if they fold up the loring timing association forever, i'll stay in the books forever, with the fastest machine in my class that has ever been.

there are two ways to maintain immortality in the record books. one way is to keep racing, and keep inching ahead of your competitors year by year. right now in my racing class, it takes a whole year of thought and innovation to bump the record by less than one mile per hour.

the other way to do it is to have the venue or the class close, and then nobody can ever go faster. lots of all-time records at the bonneville salt flats are permanent, because the class they ran in was abandoned.

i run in a pretty rarified circle: pushrod british 650 twins, no turbo or supercharger, gasoline, no aero aids. there's less than ten people in the world competing with me, as you have to be interested in going 130 mph on a motorcycle over 50 years old to be in the group. i'm already the fastest non-turbo gasoline 650 with a production frame. if i go four mph faster, i'll be faster than any gasoline non-turbo with a 650 engine.

i'm not telling you anything you don't know when i say that life is short, randy. my father died in bed when he was 69, and i'm 64. if i follow him, i have five years to live. i have no intention of wasting my life in trying to prolong it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on June 09, 2020, 01:08:19 AM
i'm not telling you anything you don't know when i say that life is short, randy. my father died in bed when he was 69, and i'm 64. if i follow him, i have five years to live. i have no intention of wasting my life in trying to prolong it.

I'm not sure if I told anybody here but here goes: My father was 58 (a year younger than me) when he died of cancer. He worked his whole life, well more than 40 hours per week, saving for a retirement that would never come. There are probably things he wished he did but I'll never know.

Anyway, watching him deteriorate like that made me realize that life is too short and we simply don't know how much time we have left. When it's all said and done, I won't remember any of this the moment the lights go out in my brain. Life can be boring if it weren't for the things we strive for such as your racing.

So keep it up! I want to hear how it all goes down.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i have chosen certiain goals.

i dont care about deeper meaning.,

xSilverPhinx

I've just spent almost an hour trying to apply an Uber Eats referral promo code to my mother's account so we could both get discounts (yay free food!) but apparently the site's traffic is currently too high and I was unable to.

I know it's saturday night but come on! ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Another one of Satan's dastardly deeds. REPENT NOW!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on June 21, 2020, 12:42:50 AM
Another one of Satan's dastardly deeds. REPENT NOW!

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :nu-uh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

ow ow ow i crashed the little ninja

at maybe three mph. i don't have dramatic crashes any more, i just tip em over.

trying to drive down my lane from the warehouse to the gravel road i dodged a puddle with the tiny little 250 an slipped on the grss in the middle. the front wheel went woosh and i fell over

my foot was stuck under th bike as it fell over and i swear in the microsecond it took me to hit the ground i had time to think

no no don't let me crash the little girl's bike and break my leg if i break my leg on this thing i'll never live it down just a sprain please please

and so i got a sprain and didn't break it.

but it still hurts and so im limping around like chester except that i can deinitely remember which leg i messed up

Icarus

That is a bummer Billy. If it is any consolation, a low side flop is better than a high side one.

Dark Lightning

That's too bad, Billy. Hope you aren't too hurt. When I laid my motorcycle down, it was off an embankment. I jumped, and as I slid down the hill on my face (I had a face shield), I was wondering if my motorcycle was going to run me over. :lol: Turns out that the left handlebar had dug into the dirt and it just laid down, still running. I managed to pick it up and was struggling up the slope. Some people stopped and helped, which was nice of them.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on June 24, 2020, 09:37:51 PM
no no don't let me crash the little girl's bike and break my leg if i break my leg on this thing i'll never live it down just a sprain please please

And who did you plead with to grant you this miracle of a sprain?  :bogey:

Randy

A new reason to be grumpy today:

I went in for my chemo session and talked to the doctor about a minor ache that started happening earlier this week. It's in the left hip where the ball-and-socket joint of the thigh meets. She went out and came back with some paper from a radiologist describing where the (then new) tumor as and it is in the exact same place.

Tomorrow I see another doctor about having radiation zapped in that area. Radiation is no fun. It scars, thickens the skin, is sore for weeks, ... At least with my neck I didn't have anything rubbing it much since my collars are always open and when I came home I'd wear a loose t-shirt.

But this thing is on the inside of my thigh roughly. My trousers and pajamas are going to be rubbing it constantly. And it won't be just there. Here is an example of what I mean:

My first set of radiation treatments were for the base of the tongue where the localized mass was. Essentially we were burning it off with x-rays. But they had to aim the machine at different points along my neck so my whole neck took the abuse and is still taking it. Radiation is the gift that keeps giving.

So now I'm wondering how much of my leg is going to be impacted by this? Oh, I have to get a full bone scan in a couple of weeks because of mentioning this to the doctor to see if it spread to any other areas of my body.

There are other things too but this is enough. I can handle them. I'll have to handle this the same way as I did before, just grin and bear it.

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on June 25, 2020, 09:05:41 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on June 24, 2020, 09:37:51 PM

And who did you plead with to grant you this miracle of a sprain?  :bogey:

i don't have a god thing these days but i don't mind thinbking that it was as if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. or something like that

Recusant

Quote from: Randy on June 25, 2020, 09:19:33 PM
A new reason to be grumpy today:

I went in for my chemo session and talked to the doctor about a minor ache that started happening earlier this week. It's in the left hip where the ball-and-socket joint of the thigh meets. She went out and came back with some paper from a radiologist describing where the (then new) tumor as and it is in the exact same place.

Tomorrow I see another doctor about having radiation zapped in that area. Radiation is no fun. It scars, thickens the skin, is sore for weeks, ... At least with my neck I didn't have anything rubbing it much since my collars are always open and when I came home I'd wear a loose t-shirt.

But this thing is on the inside of my thigh roughly. My trousers and pajamas are going to be rubbing it constantly. And it won't be just there. Here is an example of what I mean:

My first set of radiation treatments were for the base of the tongue where the localized mass was. Essentially we were burning it off with x-rays. But they had to aim the machine at different points along my neck so my whole neck took the abuse and is still taking it. Radiation is the gift that keeps giving.

So now I'm wondering how much of my leg is going to be impacted by this? Oh, I have to get a full bone scan in a couple of weeks because of mentioning this to the doctor to see if it spread to any other areas of my body.

There are other things too but this is enough. I can handle them. I'll have to handle this the same way as I did before, just grin and bear it.

This is daunting stuff. Thank you for keeping us up to date, man.  :bravo:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken