News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I like this song but the video is something to be watched.

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on July 24, 2020, 03:24:49 AM

I haven't heard that song in what seems like a lifetime. I instantly recognized it however. I'll probably listen to it a few more times today.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

billy rubin

if i had a superpower, i would lik eto be able to go inside a really talented muscian's head and see how it worked. or a conductor.

how are musical memories stored? what connections hold certain things together with what other things?

what do artists see when they look at the same things i do, or hear? what does a memory of music look like to a musician?

i still look at the stuff artists do and try to figure out how their minds sees these things. whatever they see/hear/feel/imagine

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

One of my favourite "one hit wonder" songs from the seventies. I'm curious if anyone of you has heard it before.

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

These dudes make some of the best videos I have ever seen!
https://youtu.be/u1ZB_rGFyeU

Randy

No One I love Ok Go's videos!

No one

Yes, they are very entertaining.

Magdalena

Holy God, Dionysus...Bless His Plump Cabernet Grapes. Alcoholism, wow.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Quote from: Tom62 on August 01, 2020, 05:28:39 PM
One of my favourite "one hit wonder" songs from the seventies. I'm curious if anyone of you has heard it before.

I've never heard it before. But that doesn't surprise me. There was a lot I missed in the seventies.

Tom62

Quote from: Randy on August 03, 2020, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on August 01, 2020, 05:28:39 PM

I've never heard it before. But that doesn't surprise me. There was a lot I missed in the seventies.

I would have been surprised if you would have know the song. It was a number 1 hit in the Netherlands and Belgium only.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Here is Streisand and Niel Diamond doing doing a song that has some philosophic implications.

In January 1984, my wife of thirty years died suddenly from a coronary incident.  I had been a loyal husband and a dedicated worker determined to provide for my family. By that time we were empty nesters and we had accumulated a tiny bit of security. We were not wealthy but we were not poor.   Still I persisted with work almost all the time. I did not let her know enough, how much I loved her. Too damned busy with work all the time.

After her death I was in deep depression and after another 35 years I still damn myself for not having brought her flowers anymore.  Listen to me, you husbands out there...........do bring your wife flowers for no reason at all except that you love and appreciate her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxmkoG6dayM

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames