News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Children in Foster Care?

Started by WogglebugLovingFilms, December 14, 2016, 06:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 05:09:25 AM

Not a fan of any of those religions you mentioned. For starters those aren't even developed creeds really. They just vaguely believe in the spirits. There isn't much of a theology

Shinto isn't a developed creed?  Shinto

Pantheists believe in spirits?  Pantheism

QuoteDo you see why I think any religion at all is important? It provides sort of a "template" of some sort for living your life and viewing the world.

You keep writing "any religion", but you eliminate a large number of religions.  I don't think you know what the word "any" means.  As far as a template for living your life and viewing the world, that can easily be gotten outside of religion.

Just one for instance:  Humanism
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 05:09:25 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 03, 2017, 04:57:45 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 03, 2017, 02:15:50 AM
Sorry, but Sister just has to be fake.  She sounds like a Catholic version of Landover Baptist Church. Just a little too over the top.

I've been sitting here wondering that, and also wondering (if she's for real) her belief that any religion is better for kids than no religion would apply to, say, Pantheists, Satanists, Voudoun, Shinto, Wicca, etc.

Not a fan of any of those religions you mentioned. For starters those aren't even developed creeds really. They just vaguely believe in the spirits. There isn't much of a theology.

Now I shall rank thee "acceptable" religions.

1.Protestnatism: Really just the bare bones version of Catholicism really. It's as if they couldn't afford a nice church and 7 sacraments or a priest, so they have their services in a great big gymnasium. Fun fact! Protestanism is  denomination of Catholicism, not Christianity. There were no protestants or "Faithful word Life" churches before 1530 or so.

Protestants are lucky in that their baptisms are in fact valid. They just better get Catholic quick

(Just a note. I am not going to rank the Orthodox. They are Catholic for all intents and purposes despite their protestations to country)

2. Judaism. I actually am fond of this one. What with their ancient looking buildings, mysterious chants and robes, they really are one Messiah  away from being Catholic. There are ever so many similarities. The Jews are also a very funny and clever bunch! I can see why God "Chose" them!

3. Islam. OK I guess but a little scary at times. I suppose my nuns habit has a bit in common with a hijab, but idk.... Isn't it likely that instead of the angel gabriel dictating the quran to Muhammad over the course of 20 years, he instead just plagiarized bits of judaism and Christianity, gave it an Arabic twist and voila! Islam?!

4. Taoism/Confucianism/Buddhism: I like these religions and they are very peaceful seeming. They don't seem to center around a specific deity but are sort of "Power of positive thinking faiths." I did a little eastern meditation and I felt so peaceful inside.

I actually enjoy other religions and enjoy seeing how they stack up against the faith Jesus established himself.

Do you see why I think any religion at all is important? It provides sort of a "template" of some sort for living your life and viewing the world. I don't think its important that some one "believe" or "know" every last darned thing the Church teaches at first. It's a lot to come to terms with! You need time!

But the framework..the message of religions are golden. That is why I am so darned insistent that a child has a quality faith life at home!

You might disagree.. but at least you know why I think this way.

That's the most asinine thing I've read in quite some time. Protestants are a Catholic denomination? I guess that's why they fought a number of wars, persecuted Catholics for centuries, reject Catholic doctrine, and why many consider Catholics to be non-Christian polytheists who follow the Pope and Saints before Jesus.

Might I ask which church school you happen to be affiliated with or, perhaps, which diocese your school is in?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

Apparently, the only thing sister mary gremlin likes more than absurdity, is crack.

Recusant

Quote from: No one on October 03, 2017, 06:08:48 AM
Apparently, the only thing sister mary gremlin likes more than absurdity, is crack.

That remark is a personal attack, No one. If SisterAgatha is actually a troll, you've just helped her succeed. I ask you to please respect the civility rule of this site.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on October 03, 2017, 06:06:08 AM
Quote from: Davin on October 02, 2017, 09:53:08 PM
I guess it's time for me to ignore, the troll.
Hear hear!
User Ranks
Meaning of post #6666: Has finally learned to not feed the trolls.
:sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

Quote from: Magdalena on October 03, 2017, 01:58:35 PM
Hear hear!
User Ranks
Now THIS is a great accomplishment! Both of them. :dance:  :devil2:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dragonia on October 03, 2017, 02:08:25 PM
Hear hear!
User Ranks
Now THIS is a great accomplishment! Both of them. :dance:  :devil2:

:lynch: We should have a party for this as it is quite spectacular! :lynch:

So back in February of this year here in Michigan a three day old baby girl died after her "Christian" parents refused medical treatment for her.

'God ... makes no mistakes': Warned baby could die, couple rejected treatment, police say.

QuoteA Lansing woman refused to seek medical treatment for her newborn daughter even after a midwife warned that the infant's jaundice could lead to brain damage or death, a police detective testified last week in court.

The mother told the midwife her baby was fine, and that "God ... makes no mistakes," the detective said.

Two days later the infant was dead.

Infant's name was Abigail.

QuoteDr. Patrick Hansma, a medical examiner at Sparrow Hospital, later conducted an autopsy and found that Abigail died from unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia and kernicterus. Both conditions are related to jaundice.

"He said if treated, most likely she would've been alive," the detective testified.

QuoteRachel and Joshua Piland, 36, also said they understood the newborn's symptoms but chose to "believe in the word of God over the symptoms," court records show.

QuoteThe couple said they're members of the Free Saints Assembly Church in Lansing and don't believe in medical treatment beyond basic first aid, according to the records.

The murdering couple are out on bond currently while they await trial, and two of their other children who were placed in child protective services could have been returned to the couple this summer, but the parent's rejected the custody because they refused to comply with a judge's order banning "physical discipline."

Couple charged in newborn's death opted for 'physical discipline' over custody of 2 other children

Does anything else really need to be said on this matter and this totally ridiculous and outrageous thread? Seriously, as a Father of two grown children I find the OP's comments not only insulting, but also infuriating and lacking any real meaning or serious discourse other than to demean us as atheists.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-ireland-catholic-orphange-mass-grave-20170303-story.html

QuoteA mass grave containing the remains of babies and young children has been discovered at a former Catholic orphanage in Ireland, government-appointed investigators announced Friday in a finding that offered the first conclusive proof following a historian's efforts to trace the fates of nearly 800 children who perished there.
[...]
That was a common, but ill-documented practice at such Catholic-run facilities amid high child mortality rates in early 20th century Ireland.

Do we even need to get into all the child molesters protected by the church?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Hear hear!
User Ranks

Done.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

A friend of mine was beaten by the nuns at her residential school and sexually abused by the priest. This was after asked for help because her father had abused her also.

It severely affected her life, though she still managed to become the manager of a local council nursery where abused and neglected children had been officially placed in care. The kids adored her.

Though she hated the RCC greatly she kept to her xtian beliefs - but only set foot in churches for the marriages of friends etc. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say she keot her xtian values.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on October 03, 2017, 06:24:40 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 03, 2017, 06:11:56 PM
Hear hear!
User Ranks

Done.  :D

:frolic:

You guys are funny.  :lol:

Tank, is that a hungry troll? (Your avatar)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

SisterAgatha

Look.. I realize that sometimes people of religious faith aren't the most ideal.

Humans are humans and fall short all the time. I just feel the whole moral framework is important.

Can someone tell me why religion itself is unimportant in a childs upbringing? Not religious extremism...but religion generally?