News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hockney and Spring

Started by Lark, April 01, 2020, 10:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

Saw this calming, beautiful post today and thought you all might like it.

David Hockney shares exclusive art from Normandy, as 'a respite from the news'

QuoteDavid Hockney is in lockdown at his house in Normandy with his dog Ruby and two of his long-standing assistants, JP and Jonathan.

He is in the garden most days, drawing the spring awakening on his iPad. In a BBC exclusive, he is sharing 10 of his most recent images (including one animation), nine of which have never been published before, for us all to enjoy at this difficult time, along with his thoughts on the role of art in life.

Edited to change image size. - R

hermes2015

Thanks, Lark. I am glad he is OK and still going strong. My ex used to share a house in Holland Park with Janey Ironside, who was very friendly with Hockney, and had many originals by him all over the house. Janey wanted me to meet him, but somehow our paths never crossed, and unfortunately I never met him in the end.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Thank you for this.  Hockney was always my brother's favorite living artist, and now I see why (I never could get the swimming pools).
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Thank you for that, Lark;)

I enjoyed Hockney's work, but wasn't a particular enthusiast. Then we attended A Bigger Picture at the Royal Academy, and I was definitely moved by what I encountered there.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 02, 2020, 06:40:17 PM
Thank you for this.  Hockney was always my brother's favorite living artist, and now I see why (I never could get the swimming pools).

The swimming pools are symbols of freedom and a certain (gay) lifestyle that he found so appealing when he moved to the USA. It's discussed quite well in this video:

Have you seen the movie A Bigger Splash?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

MarcusA

There was a lady taking out a jigsaw puzzle of a gamut of flowers from the local library. I said to her, looking over her shoulder, You have your work cut out there. She said, It's beautiful.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.