News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Social Issues and Causes / Re: School murder
Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - May 27, 2022, 10:43:13 PM
From the Uvalde city website: photos of all the victims. Horrific.

https://www.uvaldetx.gov/news_detail_T30_R204.php

Both teachers were female and 14 of the 19 kids were girls.

Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - May 27, 2022, 10:41:02 PM
Ha! I feel bad about laughing in this situation, but there is truth in what you say.
Last post by billy rubin - May 27, 2022, 01:36:03 PM
well, its an ob ject lrsson thst tbe job of the police is to show up late, taser yourmother, shoot your dog, and go on paid administrative leave.
Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - May 27, 2022, 12:28:03 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2022, 10:54:53 AMthe uvalde thing is a mess. the cops dithered outside for an hour while the kid killed everyone, in spite of parents being right there begging them to go in.

doesnt look good for the police so far.

Yes, some dads were begging for guns to go in themselves. This is going to be a mess. I hope Biden's visit can help the community. Glad that Jill is going - she does well in those situations.

Social Issues and Causes / Re: Barbette
Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - May 27, 2022, 12:25:52 PM
Thanks, I will check that out. I love Paris and am planning a trip there next year. We will be staying in Montmartre. The thing that struck me about Barbette's story is how different his life was from the place where he grew up. Round Rock back then was as far away from Paris culturally as it was geographically, yet he thrived in Paris in one of its most exciting times. Still, he came back when he was older and infirm, and is buried here. At the end of life, I suppose "going home" can be comforting. At least you are close to family. My conclusion is that while your roots may be in one place, your fruit and flower may flourish in an entirely different environment.

I will get the book - looking forward to reading it.
Current Events / Re: Roe vs Wade under fire, ag...
Last post by billy rubin - May 27, 2022, 10:57:50 AM
alito said it in the draft, explicitly.

abortion deprives the adpption industry of a supply of babies to market.
Last post by billy rubin - May 27, 2022, 10:54:53 AM
the uvalde thing is a mess. the cops dithered outside for an hour while the kid killed everyone, in spite of parents being right there begging them to go in.

doesnt look good for the police so far.
Media / Re: What are you watching?
Last post by Wolfen - May 27, 2022, 09:29:24 AM
Senior Year Netflix
Huge fan of Rebel Wilson, so I liked it.

Season four of Stranger Things (Netflix)
It's finally here!
Current Events / Re: Roe vs Wade under fire, ag...
Last post by Recusant - May 27, 2022, 08:03:38 AM
Not as comprehensive as the lost post, but that's probably a good thing.  ;)

Quote from: Asmodean on May 20, 2022, 07:18:44 AM
Quote from: Recusant on May 20, 2022, 06:49:43 AMIn the theory of government behind the US Constitution, all power and rights are held by the people. The people elect representatives to administer those powers and rights. Thus the 9th Amendment. In this understanding, government does not and can not bestow "new rights." It protects and regulates rights, which are inherent to the people.

A right to privacy is implicitly acknowledged in the Bill of Rights, including the 1st Amendment, the 3rd Amendment, the 4th Amendment and the 5th Amendment. In addition, the due process clause of the 14th Amendment was cited by the US Supreme Court as protecting a right to freedom from undue interference (aka a right to privacy) long before Roe v. Wade.
I see what you are saying, and yet I also see what seems to be reasonable legal arguments that go the other way.

That said, if the right to privacy is protection from "undue" interference, then wherein lies "undue?"

It's been a couple of years since I read Amar's book on the US Constitution so I got it off the shelf and looked to see what it says about the right to privacy. Amar specifically includes the right to privacy in a discussion of the 14th Amendment, which gives the federal government the duty to protect rights from infringement by the states. He describes the US Supreme Court as having recognised that the right to privacy is one of the most important unenumerated rights which must be protected from infringement.

Given that, and given that a right to privacy is an integral underlying aspect of several amendments in the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution, is reasonable to put a right to privacy among the fundamental rights. Anne D. covered the concept upthread. In US infringement of a fundemantal right by the government must pass "strict scrutiny":   It must be shown that there is a "compelling governmental interest" which justifies an infringement of any of these rights.

I consider a governmental ban on abortion to be an undue infringement of a woman's right to control her own life. The Supreme Court has affirmed that to be the case repeatedly, while the draft opinion overturning this 50 year old precedent is questionable for a number of reasons. It isn't difficult to find critical analyses online; I'll link to one which covers several of the dubious aspects of the ruling.

What do you view as reasonable legal arguments in support of the infringement of a woman's right to control her own life, specifically her capacity for reproduction? What compelling governmental interest is being advanced which clearly outweighs a woman's right to bodily autonomy?
Last post by Asmodean - May 27, 2022, 07:34:33 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on May 27, 2022, 03:56:55 AMHave we been raising a generation of isolated, frustrated, hateful, depressed, mentally unstable people that is addicted to social media and violent video games?
Personal opinion? Absolutely.

I don't think violence in movies and video games is necessarily a problem - Norwegian kids watch the same movies and play the same games (Often at a younger age too, if that age-restriction-thing is worth the ink it's printed with, which is debateable, but another conversation) and yet it does not occur to them to solve their issues with a gun, or if it does, they do not go through with it. A lot of them could - they "just" don't.

I have a somewhat-nebulous and not very well structured hypothesis that much of this is due to the way an unfortunate number of kids are being raised these days, that suppresses their instinctive behaviours and allows for very little "figuring shit out for yourself, but not alone" If you mould someone into a shape they don't fit in - there may be cracks. As there will be if, in keeping with the metaphor, you let the clay land where it may.

Again, this is not very well fleshed out. I'll go long-form on it if anybody wants to, but then sometimes parents seem to think, both vocally and rather rudely, that since I myself have always used a rubber, therefore I simply cannot understand what it's like, raising a child, and that I absolutely cannot have a valid opinion on such matters. Nonsense, of course, but more common than you might think.

The Asmo wanders off, ranting about the "lived-experience-or-bust" mentality.