News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Newb

Started by technolud, April 13, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technolud

I say he looks like a Dr. Suess dog.  My wife insists he's a muppet.  Tank has just made her day.  Although Srpocket does share the same mournful expression.

Traveler

Huh. Learn something new everyday. I hadn't even noticed the spoons, much less knew what they were for. Maybe someday I'll get to 1000 so I can eat my soup. LOL
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Anne D.

Joining in very late to say welcome, technolud.  :)

Quote from: technolud on April 14, 2012, 01:17:13 PM
I asked my daughter if she was a member of the HappyAtheist forum.  She responded that she had never heard of it and pointed out that she had steered me to the "friendly atheist" blog instead.  Oh well, I guess God must have had a reason for sending me here.

Now training dogs, thats a more serious subject.

That's pretty funny.

And your very cute dog does look very wise.

technolud

I'm sure this is going to sound "over the top" but I really feel like I've arrived home at this forum.  Good hopes.

Buddy

Quote from: technolud on April 16, 2012, 01:08:33 AM
I'm sure this is going to sound "over the top" but I really feel like I've arrived home at this forum.  Good hopes.

Not over the top at all. I'm pretty sure most if not all of us can relate.  :)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

I suppose the onlyanswer that can be given to this is "welcome home, dude".

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Really glad you wrote that. One of the reasons I joined here was the fact the forum was already older then the three year 'melt down' period that many forums suffer from. It's also essentially a benign dictatorship with Whitney at the top of the pile. A lot of stress and strain on forums comes from barrack room lawyers arguing the toss about the forum rules and how this, that and the other should or should not be done. That doesn't happen here mainly because of the maturity of the members (and maturity has little to do with age) means that when shit disturbing 'troll' types do arrive they don't get to stay too long.

In addition we have a good group of people who can (most of the time) discuss rather than argue.  :D

And of course we have the essential fun members like The Magic Pudding, Asmodean who give this place a unique flavour.

There are also the theists like AnimatedDirt and Ecurb Noselrub who keep the Christian theistic viewpoint represented. We have had transient Muslim members, like iSok, who have spiced things up too, but none are active at the moment.

Then we have the likes of Stevil, Guardian85, Too Few lions, HistoryGeek, xSilverPheonix, Amicale, The Ali, DeterminedJuliet, Recusant, Davin, Scissorlegs, Crocoduck, Velma, Firebird, Twentythree, MadBomr101, Traveler, En_Route, RunFromMyLife, Dobermonster, Willow, Will, Joeactor, Tom62, Budhorse4, Sweetdeath, McQ, BooksCatsEtc, Gawen, Squid, MariaEvri, OldGit, Crow, Ihateyoumike & Hismikeness (brothers), fester30, ThinkAnarchy, philosoraptor, Medusa, Melmoth, En_Route, Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism (I really should not have agreed to that name change!), pytheas, Truthseeker, Augustus, keithpenrod, magdalena, Radiant, squidfetish and Asherah who are just some the current active members. Without their contributions and that of others this place simply would not exist. A forum is the product of its members.

I hope you continue to contribute and enjoy your time here with us.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

technolud

Tank's eloquence leaves my prose feeling woefullly inadequate.

I do have a question though.  Are all Happy Atheists self proclaimed liberals or is there a broader political segment here?  Anyone calling themselves a conservative?

I personally reside in the liberal camp, or maybe somewhere to the left of it, but enjoy listening to well thought out people from all areas.

Tank

Quote from: technolud on April 16, 2012, 11:14:07 AM
I do have a question though.  Are all Happy Atheists self proclaimed liberals or is there a broader political segment here?  Anyone calling themselves a conservative?
In my experience the majority of atheists fall into the 'liberal' camp, if I had to take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) I'd say 70% of atheists are liberal/leftish in their outlook. I fall into the majority group. But the proportions vary to some extent by age, gender and country/culture.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 16, 2012, 10:14:47 AM
Really glad you wrote that. One of the reasons I joined here was the fact the forum was already older then the three year 'melt down' period that many forums suffer from. It's also essentially a benign dictatorship with Whitney at the top of the pile. A lot of stress and strain on forums comes from barrack room lawyers arguing the toss about the forum rules and how this, that and the other should or should not be done. That doesn't happen here mainly because of the maturity of the members (and maturity has little to do with age) means that when shit disturbing 'troll' types do arrive they don't get to stay too long.

In addition we have a good group of people who can (most of the time) discuss rather than argue.  :D

And of course we have the essential fun members like The Magic Pudding, Asmodean who give this place a unique flavour.

There are also the theists like AnimatedDirt and Ecurb Noselrub who keep the Christian theistic viewpoint represented. We have had transient Muslim members, like iSok, who have spiced things up too, but none are active at the moment.

Then we have the likes of Stevil, Guardian85, Too Few lions, HistoryGeek, xSilverPheonix, Amicale, The Ali, DeterminedJuliet, Recusant, Davin, Scissorlegs, Crocoduck, Velma, Firebird, Twentythree, MadBomr101, Traveler, En_Route, RunFromMyLife, Dobermonster, Willow, Will, Joeactor, Tom62, Budhorse4, Sweetdeath, McQ, BooksCatsEtc, Gawen, Squid, MariaEvri, OldGit, Crow, Ihateyoumike & Hismikeness (brothers), fester30, ThinkAnarchy, philosoraptor, Medusa, Melmoth, En_Route, Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism (I really should not have agreed to that name change!), pytheas, Truthseeker, Augustus, keithpenrod, magdalena, Radiant, squidfetish and Asherah who are just some the current active members. Without their contributions and that of others this place simply would not exist. A forum is the product of its members.

I hope you continue to contribute and enjoy your time here with us.

Nawww. You make me feel warm and fuzzy.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

I'm pretty right-wing and voted Conservative all my life until UKIP started.  (That's an anti-EU party.)  Tank's right, though, most atheists here are liberal-left.

Murrikins please note - a RW Tory over here is much like a Democrat where you come from.