News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Newb

Started by technolud, April 13, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 06:55:34 PM
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times on this forum, but what do you all think about the "in your face" acts of some of the atheists?  I'm talking about the bill boards stating that God is a made up story etc.   

I watch these and worry that just now when atheism seems to be gaining some acceptance a back lash is going to be fired up.

Al

Some people like entering the scenario with a bang. It's mostly aimed at supporting other atheists in religious communities to let them at least know that other atheists do exist. ;)

IMO there is a strong Christian backlash, but it isn't mostly for them.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Well, this forum is a bit more mature than the Honda civic one. XD

I dont mind the atheists billboards.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

For the most part, i feel that every person i met under 30, (at least where i live, ) is an atheist or agnostic. I hope with the new generations and access to info through phones , religion will die out.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 13, 2012, 07:14:09 PM
For the most part, i feel that every person i met under 30, (at least where i live, ) is an atheist or agnostic. I hope with the new generations and access to info through phones , religion will die out.

I don't think it'll die out altogether, but I really do hope the younger generarion changes things. ::) The old has to be recycled. It's way past that point.

A lot of it depends on external circumstances: religion thrives in miserable regions and is set up to maintain people in that state. Good opium, if you ask me.

technolud

Yes its true.  There is some hope to be had looking at the young'uns.  My favorites are the people crying how "this young generation is the worst ever!".  I can't figure out how, since every single one is worse then the one before, so many of the kids I meet are so nice.

We're at the "house continually full of teenagers" phase.

technolud

I don't think it'll die out altogether, but I really do hope the younger generarion changes things. Roll Eyes The old has to be recycled. It's way past that point.

A lot of it depends on external circumstances: religion thrives in miserable regions and is set up to maintain people in that state. Good opium, if you ask me.

Didn't Karl Marx say something about this?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2012, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 13, 2012, 07:14:09 PM

I don't think it'll die out altogether, but I really do hope the younger generarion changes things. ::) The old has to be recycled. It's way past that point.

Haha, yeah.
Just let it not be so fucking main stream. It controls too many of our laws and politics  which is insane!! It's gone on too damn long.

Buddy

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 07:19:57 PM

I don't think it'll die out altogether, but I really do hope the younger generarion changes things. Roll Eyes The old has to be recycled. It's way past that point.

Didn't Karl Marx say something about this?

Congrats on your first ten posts! The Vinnie herby grants thee access to the rest of the forum. Use it wisely.   ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

technolud

I'm excited.  10 posts and I don't think I insulted anyone or made a fool of myself yet.  Yipee!.

Guardian85

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 06:55:34 PM
I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times on this forum, but what do you all think about the "in your face" acts of some of the atheists?  I'm talking about the bill boards stating that God is a made up story etc.   

I watch these and worry that just now when atheism seems to be gaining some acceptance a back lash is going to be fired up.

Al

Sometimes you need to walk softly, and sometimes you need to blow crap up (figuratively, of course)!

The bill boards, the books, the rallys... they are all about raising awareness to what we are and how many we are. If atheists were always quiet and careful, do you really think we would make prime time news? Be an actual topic of conversation? It is a fact that after the antics of several outspoken atheists and atheist groups the "atheist movement" picked up a lot of momentum.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2012, 07:08:49 PM
Some people like entering the scenario with a bang. It's mostly aimed at supporting other atheists in religious communities to let them at least know that other atheists do exist. ;)

IMO there is a strong Christian backlash, but it isn't mostly for them.

And also a lot of this.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Whaaaaat?!?  You drive a Honda Civic?!?  You IDIOT.  Honda Accords 4EVA!!!!

(I'm totally 100% kidding, I just can't get over the idea of flame wars on a Honda Civic forum.)

Anyway, welcome!  I think it's great that both of your kids are following in your footsteps.  Well done!

As to "in your face" atheism, it depends on what it is.  If it's a billboard that says "Are you good without god?" then I think why not?  Religious folks get to hang signs and billboards and whatnot for their religion, why can't we do the same?  But I'm sure there are some *too* in your face campaigns out there.  Although I agree that they're probably not aimed at religious types anyway.  If you lose your faith from reading a billboard, it must not have been too strong in the first place, ya know?

xSilverPhinx

I'm sure Marx mentioned the opium, not sure about the rest though.

Out of curiousity, have you dealt with fundamentalist Christians (of whichever branch is predominant in your area) before? Online debates, school battles, etc?

technolud

I searched my way into Atheism.  Started attending bible classes in college to "cut out the middleman" and go right to the source.  Every single one I went to (three over a couple years) concentrated on all the bad things that would happen to you if you were "bad" rather then the good things if you followed the word.  The harder I looked, the more negative I saw.  I still admire people of "faith", a little jelouse actually.  I just can't do it.  I look inside, and there is no God there.  30 years later I'm pretty comfortable with it.

technolud

to Silverphinx

Dealt with fundamentalists, other then in discussion?  Never as a protester.  But I do spend a lot of time down in eastern Arkansas (Mississippi delta) and interact with a lot of very religious people.  They just hate it when you quote the bible to them.  But, a bunch of decent folk for the most part.  No Civic flamers in the bunch.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 07:57:27 PM
I'm excited.  10 posts and I don't think I insulted anyone or made a fool of myself yet.  Yipee!.

Well done! Pick a spoon  ;D

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.