Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Am I an atheist?

Started by mjolnir, December 05, 2011, 03:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: mjolnir on December 09, 2011, 12:33:17 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2011, 08:00:00 PM
Find a brick. Drop it on your foot. Report back on your findings.

Lame...
Very good!  :D

(He'd be lame after dropping a brick on his foot)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2011, 09:33:47 AM

Lame...

There is a joke in there somewhere. And The Asmo shall locate it, just you wait!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

mjolnir

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 09, 2011, 04:10:12 AM
Tank, great answer. XDD

It was a terrible answer and would be a completely irrelevant experiment.

1. The gravitational force did not emerge until after the Big Bang. Dropping a brick would provide no insight into what caused the Big Bang.
2. The experiment would provide no insight into why gravity exists. The question would still remain, what force was responsible for shaping our universe, in other words - what force determined that our universe would have gravity?

mjolnir

I've found the answer to the question I originally posed in this thread, and my work here is done.

I appreciate the replies of those that have taken the time to respond thoughtfully and respectfully.

Best wishes to you all.

Tank

Quote from: mjolnir on December 09, 2011, 01:51:38 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 09, 2011, 04:10:12 AM
Tank, great answer. XDD

It was a terrible answer and would be a completely irrelevant experiment.

1. The gravitational force did not emerge until after the Big Bang. Dropping a brick would provide no insight into what caused the Big Bang.
2. The experiment would provide no insight into why gravity exists. The question would still remain, what force was responsible for shaping our universe, in other words - what force determined that our universe would have gravity?
You're right. My bad. Having re-read what I was responding to I had missed the point that you were refereing to the causes of the big bang. And in that respect I too would be agnostic in terms of attributing a cause. Which is why I have much less of an issue with deists than theists as the former make no claim about a god's intent for or ongoing involvement with the universe.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: mjolnir on December 09, 2011, 01:56:56 PM
I've found the answer to the question I originally posed in this thread, and my work here is done.

I appreciate the replies of those that have taken the time to respond thoughtfully and respectfully.

Best wishes to you all.

Well don't be a stranger, come back when you have another question.  ;D

Siz

Quote from: mjolnir on December 09, 2011, 01:56:56 PM

Best wishes to you all.

Might we ask what your conclusions were?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

MadBomr101

*sniff   I feel so used and discarded.   :'(
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2011, 09:33:47 AM

Lame...

Witty ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey