News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Gays, liberal Christianity and consistency

Started by Gorton, April 17, 2011, 06:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:25:56 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:03:22 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 07:59:29 PMNew non-ideas have also shown a rise in popularity, like autism.
What now?

The belief in non-things, or meaningless phrases, like autism, is a non-christian sign of our primitive thinking.
The christian element in autism is something shared by science - animism. In this case it is the belief in a non-material energy or force that inhabits the brain.
Autism of course is eugenics in action. There are many examples of animism in christianity and science.
I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. Keep in mind that I know a great deal about autism, and none of anything you said even comes remotely close to anything about it.

The medical model is christian based and so seeks to diminish a person's profile or autonomy if that person behaves in ways that challenge christian society.
The way to eliminate the threat of people's social non-compliance is to describe them in terms of a pseudo-medical category, like autism.

This is different in non-christian countries.
Still not showing that you know anything about autism. Being described as autistic does not limit a person's ability to to be socially non-compliant. I am socially non-compliant and I am autistic.

@anyone: What's with all the people picking on autism lately?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

not your typical...

Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
I have no idea. It seems that the latest 'controversial' topics are autism and sexual orientation. I don't get what the fascination is.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Jonesboy

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:25:56 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:03:22 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 07:59:29 PMNew non-ideas have also shown a rise in popularity, like autism.
What now?

The belief in non-things, or meaningless phrases, like autism, is a non-christian sign of our primitive thinking.
The christian element in autism is something shared by science - animism. In this case it is the belief in a non-material energy or force that inhabits the brain.
Autism of course is eugenics in action. There are many examples of animism in christianity and science.
I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. Keep in mind that I know a great deal about autism, and none of anything you said even comes remotely close to anything about it.

The medical model is christian based and so seeks to diminish a person's profile or autonomy if that person behaves in ways that challenge christian society.
The way to eliminate the threat of people's social non-compliance is to describe them in terms of a pseudo-medical category, like autism.

This is different in non-christian countries.
Still not showing that you know anything about autism. Being described as autistic does not limit a person's ability to to be socially non-compliant. I am socially non-compliant and I am autistic.

I know what socially non-compliant is, but what's autism?
Autism is a non-thing, a modern belief in a non-thing. No one can say they "have it", because nothing, no "it", is specified, described, or understood.
That's good news.
(I used autism as an example of our religious leanings. Forget this example.)

Willow

Hello Gorton.
Are you from Gorton?  If so would you like to go for a pint?
Willow.

not your typical...

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:29:57 PM
Do you understand this sentence:
"The west, for one, is characterized by a moral panic over experiences that challenge their world view. "
I showed that around my house. The opinion was that with average reading ability and allowance for context it looks straight forward. Who did you say was drunk or on drugs.
That's not the issue here. The issue is how you're stating that everyone is "thoroughbred Christian" when in all honesty, Christianity is turning into a seasonal coat, just take it out on Christmas and Easter, and some don't even acknowledge it. How do you explain the people with no knowledge of God or Christianity whatsoever? And you still didn't answer about how there are Atheist.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Davin

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:37:02 PMI know what socially non-compliant is, but what's autism?
Autism is a non-thing, a modern belief in a non-thing. No one can say they "have it", because nothing, no "it", is specified, described, or understood.
That's good news.
(I used autism as an example of our religious leanings. Forget this example.)
With this, it's time for me to leave the taco stand.

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
I have no idea. It seems that the latest 'controversial' topics are autism and sexual orientation. I don't get what the fascination is.
It's probably because we autistics are the genetically engineered super human future of the human race that the Government has been secretly developing with the aliens since they landed in Roswell. You just wait until our psychic powers are activated by the chemicals put into the air by the contrails of the airplanes and start taking over the human race!

I think I've said too much...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Willow on November 11, 2011, 09:39:33 PM
Hello Gorton.
Are you from Gorton?  If so would you like to go for a pint?
Willow.
He only participated for a few days in April, but his email address is public so you coud always drop him a line via that route.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 04:42:55 AM
Hey. I've been in the dilemma before, well, really I still am in it, of being a Christian and (in my personal case) being bi-curious. While in some communities, Christianity and gay can co-exists, I'm finding it more often that not that they can't. Sucks for me, I guess, but glad to hear you've found someone who almost shared your beliefs.

At the end of the day, god made you that way, yet god says it's not ok? This does not make sense along with most other religious teachings. And that is because they are made up by ancient savages.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:49:30 PM
It's probably because we autistics are the genetically engineered super human future of the human race that the Government has been secretly developing with the aliens since they landed in Roswell. You just wait until our psychic powers are activated by the chemicals put into the air by the contrails of the airplanes and start taking over the human race!
I think I've said too much...
when this does happen, can you promise to spare my life? Even if it means I have to be a lowly servant, I'll take it.

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 10:06:25 PM
At the end of the day, god made you that way, yet god says it's not ok? This does not make sense along with most other religious teachings. And that is because they are made up by ancient savages.
I think the most common responses I get to this by Christians are:
1. It's a trick of the enemy/You allowed demons into your life.
2. It's a test of faith/The devil is planting the seed of temptation. Reject the fruit, for no matter how sweet it may smell, it is still the rotten fruit of sin.
Personally, I think it's more of a nature vs. nurture argument, but that's for another time.

Tank

Hey. I've been in the dilemma before, well, really I still am in it, of being a Christian and (in my personal case) being bi-curious. While in some communities, Christianity and gay can co-exists, I'm finding it more often that not that they can't. Sucks for me, I guess, but glad to hear you've found someone who almost shared your beliefs.

Why were they savages? They may have lacked understanding about the way the world worked but that makes them 'ignorant', not necessarily savages.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2011, 10:13:08 PM

Why were they savages? They may have lacked understanding about the way the world worked but that makes them 'ignorant', not necessarily savages.

They used to sacrifice people and killing in the name of god was just fine. That makes the people of 2,000 years ago savages, IMO.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:34:29 AM

They used to sacrifice people and killing in the name of god was just fine. That makes the people of 2,000 years ago savages, IMO.
I can understand that thought process, but to them, it was the equivalent of going to war, except there reason was to get rid of heathens, not steal land, enslave people, or abuse power. While those things might have happened in the process, that's simply because humans are corrupt, not to be confused with the original reasoning.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:37:16 AM

I can understand that thought process, but to them, it was the equivalent of going to war, except there reason was to get rid of heathens, not steal land, enslave people, or abuse power. While those things might have happened in the process, that's simply because humans are corrupt, not to be confused with the original reasoning.

Just because they thought they had reasons did not make them not savage.

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:42:53 AM
Just because they thought they had reasons did not make them not savage.
That's like saying everyone who goes to war is a savage. While some are, I know of plenty who aren't.

Tank

WTF! Just because some people may carried out human sacrifice 2,000 years ago does not make all people who lived 2,000 years ago savages!