News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Recent posts

Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by zorkan - April 19, 2024, 12:20:26 PM
From Buddhism, a godless religion:
The material world only exists because of consciousness.

"Once in Hawaii I was taken to see a Buddhist temple. In the temple a man said, "I am going to tell you something that you will never forget." And then he said, "To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell."
― Richard P. Feynman, The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist.

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4021/the-dark-side-of-buddhism

"I remember one student who was having problems memorising material for tests. Distraught, she went to the monks who explained to her that she was having such trouble now because, in a past life, she was a murderous dictator who burned books, and so now, in this life, she is doomed to forever be learning challenged."

The dark side of us all is that we are just a collection of assembled waves and particles.
(Being miserable keeps me happy}.

From far, from eve and morning
     And yon twelve-winded sky,
The stuff of life to knit me
     Blew hither: here am I.

A E Housman, poet.
Last post by Me_Be - April 19, 2024, 10:08:47 AM
Quote from: zorkan on April 18, 2024, 02:02:52 PMYeah, scrap the religion section and religion with it.
Religion means living in fear for the rest of your life.
Philosophy is dead (Stephen Hawking).
Everything it has ever presented has been proved false.

Scrapping the story that humanity has assumed it, itself has written, is likened or compared to a dream, and nothing ever happened in a dream.

So Who or What is this 'you' without the attachment to story?
Scrapping you're story, is the end of Authorship, the end of belief in Authorship. The end of 'you' and 'me' the end of every-one who believes in Authorship.

Reality has no Author, no Copyright. . except in this conception, the greatest story; no one ever wrote, or heard, or told.

Reality is unwritten; that which is eternal and unreality, or illusion, is that which is temporary.
Note that illusion does exist, but it is unreal in the sense that it's not eternal.

Corinthians 4:18. New International Version.

18 ''So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.''

Compared with...

''Those who are seers of the truth have concluded that of the non-existent [the visible material body] there is no endurance and of the eternal [the invisible spirit soul] there is no change. This they have concluded by studying the nature of both. '' ~ Bhagavad Gita
Last post by Me_Be - April 19, 2024, 08:52:10 AM
Quote from: zorkan on April 18, 2024, 02:02:52 PMYeah, scrap the religion section and religion with it.

It seems philosophy and religion both, are heard as pure ''Dogma''
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
No person knows anything, no person knows anything for sure.
Nothing is happening, where the character ''me'' is just a word, referring to what is not really real.

Knowing from the Nondual perspective points to a grief, a loss of something for the sense of ''me''.
The realisation of no control, no problems, no path, and no goal leading the ''me'' to feel that everything is pointless, meaningless and hopeless.
So human language has sought out a God to help soothe their existential angst.

Irrefutably there is Life, and that You are Life, there is only Life, hence there is no ''My Life'' or ''My story'' 

Last post by Me_Be - April 19, 2024, 08:35:33 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 15, 2024, 03:58:29 AMThis thread is in the wrong section. It should be in the philosophy section.
I'm happy to have this thread moved to the philosophy section. No probs!  :)

Quote from: Icarus on April 15, 2024, 03:58:29 AMOne of the things that I boast about is; although we are happy "atheists" we do not discuss religion, or the absence of it, as a main thrust. We devote more space to petrol heads, photography, music, and strange antipodean stuff that Puddin brings us.

And yet the ''Happy Atheist Forum'' has a Religious section where people are invited to explore - The set of beliefs, rituals, and practices founded on specific supernatural and moral claims about reality and often associated with worship of a deity.

So what to do?  :thoughtful:
Last post by Me_Be - April 19, 2024, 08:30:57 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 18, 2024, 02:00:12 PMYou may have misattributed the quotes slightly. 'Twas not I who said that, 'twas Icarus ;)

Sincere apologies for that, Asmodean.

I hadn't realised until you brought it up. It was a slip of concentration on my part. Sorry about that!
:lol:

But yeah... Unless presented with enough "best practice" scenarios, the AI may act in ways humans find unpredictable, although those ways make perfect "machine sense."

I suppose that will be the differing AI personalities - How and where they do exactly the opposite of what you ask while at the same time doing exactly as you asked.
Reminds me somehow of the movie Dark Star

Doolittle: [Doolittle convinces the bomb not to explode]
Doolittle: [1:12:12] Hello, Bomb? Are you with me?
Bomb #20: Of course.
Doolittle: Are you willing to entertain a few concepts?
Bomb #20: I am always receptive to suggestions.
Doolittle: Fine. Think about this then. How do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: Well, of course I exist.
Doolittle: But how do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: It is intuitively obvious.
Doolittle: Intuition is no proof. What concrete evidence do you have that you exist?
Bomb #20: Hmmmm... well... I think, therefore I am.
Doolittle: That's good. That's very good. But how do you know
Doolittle: that anything else exists?
Bomb #20: My sensory apparatus reveals it to me. This is fun.

Sgt. Pinback: [1:18:22] All right, bomb. Prepare to receive new orders.
Bomb#20: You are false data.
Sgt. Pinback: Hmmm?
Bomb#20: Therefore I shall ignore you.
Sgt. Pinback: Hello... bomb?
Bomb#20: False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.
Sgt. Pinback: Hey, bomb?
Bomb#20: The only thing that exists is myself.
Sgt. Pinback: Snap out of it, bomb.
Bomb#20: In the beginning, there was darkness. And the darkness was without form, and void.
Boiler: What the hell is he talking about?
Bomb#20: And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness. And I saw that I was alone. Let there be light.
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - April 19, 2024, 12:03:57 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 03, 2024, 11:10:57 AMPhilip Glass: Symphony No. 4 "Heroes", inspired by David Bowie.

thank you

i have all day driving the truck to listen to this.
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - April 18, 2024, 11:59:47 PM

i love her music. she is as prolific as her father. her early stuff is hard core traditional, but she began branching out and now produces material like this and more radical.

this is anoushka on the sitar, and her sister norah jones on vocals
Last post by zorkan - April 18, 2024, 02:02:52 PM
Yeah, scrap the religion section and religion with it.