News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2023, 10:32:35 AMThe English Channel can't have been fun this morning with 100mph winds!

that happens?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 02, 2023, 12:14:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2023, 10:32:35 AMThe English Channel can't have been fun this morning with 100mph winds!

that happens?

It is quite rare, once a decade or so. It gets very rough around Dover and Calais as the Channel narrows West to East and pinches there. The winds are going West to East along the South coast of England and the North coast of France. It is quite literally a perfect storm. No fatalities yet that I am aware of.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

damn

5 F and 20mph winds

thats -13 C for you easterners

32 F outside my blankets last night.

cold

Asmodean

:sadnod: The Asmo shares the misery.

Black ice. People be complaining. The Asmo also complains, but for different reasons. He doesn't mind driving on it so much, but He does mind melting an inch of it off His car before ever He gets to drive.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Temperatures are down to -8C degrees. We expect for the next 24 hours heavy snowfall and black ice.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Yeah. We are having that heavy snowfall situation. The Asmo is being a bucket of misery about it, but He saw it coming and hid the car in a dry, warm, clean garage before it all started. :smilenod:

Today though... Jack-knifed buses, delayed metro trains, delayed other trains (though that's pretty much normal. Our train operators and the organisation around them have zero respect for their customers' time). Also, I think that there *point* snow blower tractor is stuck.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Tom62

Schools are closed. Public transport is brought to a standstill. People are stuck for hours in their cars because of trucks lying across the roads.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

:sadnod:

"All" the buses over 'ere have crashed, which is weird because they are all battery-powered and cannot be charged in winter... Or summer, as it appears.

And then some people go out and say things like this planet is "made for" human life. Well, what's the point if it is not also made for my comfort?! >:-(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

heat wave!

temperatures soar to -2C!

balmy

snow tonight and tomorrow, then a stumble, then next week is warmer.

singapore was never like this

Tank

Yep we have had a cold snap too. Getting warmer now. Should be above freezing Saturday.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Much of the next week here will be "plus zero" mid-day and "minus zero" mid-night. It's going to get slippery. :sadnod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

1 degree fahrenheit (-17 celsius) at the moment. Supposed to warm up considerably in the next week. We've had virtually no snow this winter, which means no shoveling. And that's awesome in my book.

Asmodean

We just went from the above to the plus zero I mentioned in a few hours. And now I have a head ache.

That's the least of my worries though. While the municipality is out with every truck, tractor and horse cart, salting like there's no tomorrow, they stick to the main roads while my side roads stay steep and slippery.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Storm Isha crossed Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Northern England. We were just below the worst of it. 90mph+ gusts. Weather warnings have just lifted.