News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

This is the thread to talk about the weather. I might be dry but I am wet inside.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

The Magic Pudding..

It's been a lovely spring like winter, spring is predicted to be dry and summer-like, the summer prediction isn't in yet.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

It must have been good weather in the UK while I was in the US. My grass grew 6"  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

It's been very wet here. All the media are talking about floods and canceled trains because the moment a single drop of water hits the railway tracks, everything everywhere has to stop for somebody to get out there and dry it off, then have a meeting about it, then maybe resume service.

Honestly, why do we even use trains? Expensive, vulnerable infrastructure, which hardly goes where you want to be, hardly ever a departure on time, almost never an arrival on time... It's only a semi-rhetorical question. Trains are pretty good for moving goods around. Passengers, on the other hand... Not so much.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Central Florida is bracing for a Hurricane, It will arrive in its full fury Wednesday morning.  Winds to 120 MPH (about 190 KPH) are expected. At this time, the storm center is projected to pass about 50 miles north of me. The edges of the storm can easily extend 60 miles outward from the center. Serious destruction is certain.

I had to go out to buy gasoline for my small electric power generator. Also had to buy a new tank of LP gas for my barbecue grill.  The Hurricane can be depended upon to wipe out much of the electric power grid.  If my freezer is to preserve its' contents, then I'll have to run the generator. We may lose water utility also. Disconnect the electric hot water heater, We veterans of Hurricane warfare know to fill our bathtubs with water before the storm arrives. Also buy a bunch of drinking and cooking water in those evil plastic containers.

Take down those wind chimes, bring in all furniture from the lanai, pick up all the little flower pots that dot the yard, bring in the trash can and the recycle container, board up the windows, and so on.   

Aside from all that, my weather is hot but manageable. At this time of year I am cognizant of the wisdom in the Gilbert and Sullivan lyrics that say: "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun".

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Yes, noon day sun is not good. It makes stuff made of clay all dry and cracked up in places. Oh, the struggle! :sadshake:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Worrying about Icarus now. The hurricane heading towards him is getting stronger.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Tank on August 30, 2023, 11:26:37 AMWorrying about Icarus now. The hurricane heading towards him is getting stronger.

He'll be OK, how many Florida hurricanes have we vicariously been through now?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Yes, it does tend to get windy over there on occasion. One must assume that their building code reflects that. Of course, there is always the possibility of getting a car through one's freshly-shuttered window, but then, one must assume that people will be alright - most usually are. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on August 30, 2023, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 30, 2023, 11:26:37 AMWorrying about Icarus now. The hurricane heading towards him is getting stronger.

He'll be OK, how many Florida hurricanes have we vicariously been through now?

I hope you're right.

billy rubin

he has a brain. a good one. he ll be fine.

set the function, not the mechanism.