News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

The weather is changing whether we like it or not.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Icarus

Quote from: Tank on July 19, 2023, 03:46:15 PMSouthern Europe is burning up.

Europe heatwave: Nearly all major Italian cities on red heat alert

Parts of the U.S. mostly in the southwest, are in big trouble. Temperatures have hit 110+ F and continued for days.

The result is that air conditioning systems are burdening the power grid. If the grid goes down from overload then people will die.

See? I told you that Jesus is pissed about our unholy behavior. He's gonna bust our chops while keeping his own hands clean. He has made a deal with Lucifer who is now, busily doing his thing.

billy rubin

i refuse to use air conditioning unless i am stationary in a truck cab in the sun. i consider it training for the races

it doesnt get hot where i ive anyway. m
90 F is all. maybe 33 C.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Anne D.

It's like 70F in Minneapolis at the moment, with blue skies and a breeze. Heavenly.

Icarus

Anne, those numbers are sure to become a lot smaller along about November.

I have some sympathy for the poor folks living in our southwest states. Phoenix and Tuscon are seeing 110F for long periods of the days. Dallas, Oklahoma City and other places are hurting aplenty. Air conditioners are running constantly. That saps up a huge amount of electrical energy. So much electric power is being used that the generating plants are operating at or near maximum capability. Those plants are spewing more than usual carbon emissions.

What happens if the power grid goes down as a result of excessive consumption?  The poor Texans are screwed because they are not directly connected to the national grid. If their grid has a failure,it will be a potentially disastrous event.   

billy rubin

i ived in phoenix for years withut air conditioning. the first day i driove into hoenix as a new grsduate studenrt at the university, it was 114 and raining.

nobdy i knew had air vnditioning because it was hundreds of dollrs per month to run one, thousands in modern money..i had a swam p cooler good for 10 degrees. if it was 112 outside, my house was 102.  you got used to it.

you carried leather gloves in the car so you could fasten your seat belt without burning your hands. you never went anywhere without water.

in california i worked my bees every day at over 100 to 110. town was 115.

my wife worked in chest waders in the colorado river at 119

im not saying its not hot, but these people in arizona who have never gone outside need to shut up and acknowledge that its always been hot, and what theyre complaining about is what poorer people have lived with for centuries.

they need to adapt first, and complain later.

billy rubin

lol

listen to me preach

i about died the second day at the races, standing around the runway in my leathers in the sun

MarcusA

billy rubin

QuoteWe have just lived through the hottest three-week-period on record -- and almost certainly in more than a hundred thousand years.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/27/world/july-hottest-month-record-climate/index.html

pretty impressive. looks like much of the shallow water coral wont survive this.

even the sagusros in the lower sonoran desert in the north american southwest are dying from the heat.

Anne D.

I feel like we're living in the end times. Supposedly, Minnesota is already getting climate refugees. I believe it, but we're already starting to get regular triple digits in the summers, which was previously unheard of. Today it's temporarily back to mid-70s F. I live for days like this.

billy rubin

its mild here in the great lakes. 90s only, 65 percent humidity.

thats easy for me. all my co-drivers are complaining about no air conditioning in their old trucks. my truck is new and has great air conditioning but i dont use it.

i consider heat part of my training for the races-- bright sunshine in a heavy leather suit.

Tank

You just like the smell of sweaty leather.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

MarcusA

Another fine winter's day. But everything is not fine with me.