News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Atheist Pilgrimage - Portland, Oregon

Started by AnimatedDirt, May 18, 2012, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 04:01:50 PM
Quote from: hismikeness on May 19, 2012, 05:45:47 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 18, 2012, 10:01:30 PM
I've heard many tales of Oregonians "hating" Californians...this alone would keep me from making such a pilgrimage if I were an atheist.  But I've also heard Oregon is very nice.

A lot of our distaste for Californians is the poor driving.

Define "poor driving". 

Oh please, let me!   ;D  (We in Denver also disapprove of Californians for their poor driving.)  First of all, Californians have no clue how to drive in the snow.  They buy these big honking death machine SUVs, and then either creep along at 5 mph in a light dusting, or do 80 mph down the highway in a blizzard.  They are also wildly aggressive.  One Californian I know drives by the "eye contact rule."  This means, if you make eye contact with a fellow driver, they see you, and you are safe to swerve into their lane, cut them off, et cetera. 

hismikeness

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 18, 2012, 10:01:30 PM
Define "poor driving". 

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
First of all, Californians have no clue how to drive in the snow.
Yep
They are also wildly aggressive. 
Yep

Also, I've personally witnessed littering from cars with Cali plates. Obviously, this isn't indicative of all Californians, but it's enough to form a trend. Things are more laid back in Oregon, traffic wise. Just chill out behind the wheel.

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 04:01:50 PM

Define "poor driving".

Oh please, let me!   ;D  (We in Denver also disapprove of Californians for their poor driving.)  First of all, Californians have no clue how to drive in the snow.  They buy these big honking death machine SUVs, and then either creep along at 5 mph in a light dusting, or do 80 mph down the highway in a blizzard.  They are also wildly aggressive.  One Californian I know drives by the "eye contact rule."  This means, if you make eye contact with a fellow driver, they see you, and you are safe to swerve into their lane, cut them off, et cetera.

Heh...and of course EVERY single person from Oregon or Colorado drives perfectly.  I don't know that I have any "hate" for people from Oregon or Colorado.  I could however say that most out-of-state folks have no idea "how to drive"...IN L.A.  The maze of freeways and highways criss-crossing every which way can be confusing and intimidating.  We don't drive in snow as much and logically would be more cautious driving in/on it.  We tend to drive aggresively for the most part, but that's due to our traffic problems.  We see an opening and we take it if (we feel) it will save us a few seconds or save us from one traffic light.  And I'll admit it's quite needless to do so as I have times of needing to be in front and more times don't really care about time and catch up to those weaving in and out with no effort and giggle at my own stupidity in seeing myself in their shoes.

I'm a Californian and one that spends lots of time driving in snow.  We do our yearly trek to Mammoth and rarely does a trip go without some snow driving.  I'm very comfortable in the snow.  I also spent 4 years living in the Ogden, Utah area and lived the "snow" life for those 4 years.  There are many in Utah that don't necessarily have a clue about driving in the snow either...and it's their home.

Generalizations...we're all guilty of making these.  :)  

Asmodean

I think everyone should drive like Asmo, which is not pushing one's abilities as a driver and following the standing traffic laws and regulations.

Also, if you see a stationary vehicle with its hazards flashing, not stopping to ask if those inside need assistance is just wrong.

Also, too many kids are too irresponsible to drive. I think in stead of general age limits, there should be individual consideration when it comes to who gets the license and when. Can apply to elderly drivers as well, although in my subjetive experience, kids cause more head aches.

Also, those who put ridiculous bodywork and/or spoilers and/or lights on their old cars and think they look cool ought to be hung by their genitals and force-fed their own fecies.

Also... Nevermind. Rant over.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

What I hate about drivers in Indiana is the fact that everyone drives a huge truck and they drive in the middle of the road so that you have to pull over to let them pass. Granted, I have a truck too, but the ones I am talking about are the dully trucks with huge tires and smokestacks.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

AD - We don't "hate" Californians.   Many of my dear friends hail from California (poor dears, no one is perfect.  ;D)  We just think they should ride public transit until they learn to drive in the snow, and stop cutting people off in traffic.  There should be a special driving test just for California natives that involves sitting behind someone at a red light who fails to slam on the gas the very second the light turns green.  If the Californian waits patiently for the person to roll forward, they pass.  If they immediately start honking and gesturing, they get sentenced to another 6 months of RTD.   ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 05:58:11 PM
AD - We don't "hate" Californians.   Many of my dear friends hail from California (poor dears, no one is perfect.  ;D)  We just think they should ride public transit until they learn to drive in the snow, and stop cutting people off in traffic.  There should be a special driving test just for California natives that involves sitting behind someone at a red light who fails to slam on the gas the very second the light turns green.  If the Californian waits patiently for the person to roll forward, they pass.  If they immediately start honking and gesturing, they get sentenced to another 6 months of RTD.   ;D

So you're saying that because I know what to do immediately on a green light, I should be patient for those that are having a difficult time either distinguishing between colors or deciding which light means what?  Heh.  ;)

Asmodean

Ooh, ooh! And those who don't know how to keep a safe distance between the nose of their car and the ass of the car in front, they deserve to get crap all over that nose when the car in front emergency brakes.

Too bad most of them are observant enough to avoid a crash though... I really want some free parts for Rusty  :'(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 06:02:38 PM
Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 05:58:11 PM

So you're saying that because I know what to do immediately on a green light, I should be patient for those that are having a difficult time either distinguishing between colors or deciding which light means what?  Heh.  ;)

No no, simply waiting the 1 second it takes for the driver to react and the car to start moving would be sufficient.  I'm convinced that Californians stay poised at each light with their foot hovering just over the gas pedal (in "ready to mash" position) and their hand just over the horn (also in "ready to mash" position.)  They seem to think that if you don't floor it, you're not moving fast enough.   ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 06:09:57 PM
No no, simply waiting the 1 second it takes for the driver to react and the car to start moving would be sufficient.  I'm convinced that Californians stay poised at each light with their foot hovering just over the gas pedal (in "ready to mash" position) and their hand just over the horn (also in "ready to mash" position.)  They seem to think that if you don't floor it, you're not moving fast enough.   ;D

Ok.  I'll wait one second...and THEN honk. :D Because there's much to do and get to in L.A.  Afterall, I'm not in my car to enjoy being in the car.

Asmodean

Whatever happened to starting early enough to arrive before time?  ???
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Early is relative to the amount of traffic, construction zones, presidential motorcades, cycle races, people requiring a few seconds of staring at a light before pressing the gas pedal...it's all a guess and sometimes we miss calculate.  :)

Asmodean

If I have to drive for more than two hours in urban traffic, I count on at least one hour of delay. Has not failed me yet.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 07:44:48 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Early is relative to the amount of traffic, construction zones, presidential motorcades, cycle races, people requiring a few seconds of staring at a light before pressing the gas pedal...it's all a guess and sometimes we miss calculate.  :)

You know everytime someone behind me honks, they slow themselves down even more because instead of continuing forward, I pause to see who/what they're honking at.  ;)

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 08:35:46 PM
You know everytime someone behind me honks, they slow themselves down even more because instead of continuing forward, I pause to see who/what they're honking at.  ;)

Heh.

Note to those that may visit and drive in L.A.

Do not use your turn signals to change lanes while in traffic.  Most of the time nobody will want to let you in.  It's just a dumb thing we tend to do for no good reason.

Instead, look for the "weak link" in the lane you want to enter.  There's always a person that is about to be honked at or just got honked at and thinks the honk means he/she should slow down or stop.  Then move in to the opening left by the "scared-by-honks" driver.  You're free and clear and everyone else is bothered by the slow person and not you.  :)