News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 14, 2016, 03:19:37 AM
So the forest is sort of a setting for an English "Deliverance" story.  Instead of dueling banjos there would be dueling lutes, I suppose.
...Or the strongest moonshine dueling.  :smilenod: :headbang:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 14, 2016, 03:19:37 AM
So the forest is sort of a setting for an English "Deliverance" story.  Instead of dueling banjos there would be dueling lutes, I suppose.
Thanks, was trying to remember that film title, Ecurb!

No, think our Foresters are a bit gentler these days, doubt that it was safe in the 1700s though. Maybe even 1800s. People get lost very easily in forests . . .

Anyway, the Sun is shining, the new washing machine works fine and I have a lunch date with my best friend. Will try to ignore the fact that she is moving to Devon soon.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

...So, going back to the topic of "The future of the forum."
I'm glad Tom62 is back. I noticed he wasn't posting and I worried that he had also left us. I'm glad Gloucester and gentle_dissident joined us and stayed. I "spoke" with Bruno de la Pole and Crow and they are definitely not coming back. I've noticed that JJ and Claire haven't been around, does anyone know if they left us also?  :(
~Just curious.
Edit:
I'm sorry, I forgot to include, No one:sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Steeler

Quote from: Magdalena on July 18, 2016, 07:11:40 PM
I'm glad Tom62 is back. I noticed he wasn't posting and I worried that he had also left us. I'm glad Gloucester and gentle_dissident joined us and stayed. I "spoke" with Bruno de la Pole and Crow and they are definitely not coming back. I've noticed that JJ and Claire haven't been around, does anyone know if they left us also?  :(
~Just curious.
Edit:

No one bailed also? I don't mean no one, but No one. (That never gets old)
He said some wild stuff at times, but I liked it!

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on July 19, 2016, 03:37:51 AM
~Just curious.
Edit:

No one bailed also? I don't mean no one, but No one. (That never gets old)
He said some wild stuff at times, but I liked it!
(It never gets old!)  :smileshake:

I think I spoke too soon... ;)
He just said, "Hi" to me.  :grin:

Tom62

I'm glad Tom62 is back. I noticed he wasn't posting and I worried that he had also left us.

That is so sweet of you. But don't worry. I can't leave HAF, because I'm part of the furniture ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

OldGit

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on July 20, 2016, 08:35:09 PM
I'm glad Tom62 is back. I noticed he wasn't posting and I worried that he had also left us.

That is so sweet of you. But don't worry. I can't leave HAF, because I'm part of the furniture ;)
Quote from: OldGit on July 20, 2016, 08:37:43 PM
Which part?
:lol:
This is why I find it difficult to leave this place.
You guys are so funny!  ;D

gentle_dissident

I'm glad Gloucester and gentle_dissident joined us and stayed.
It's good to not be unwanted.

Magdalena

Quote from: gentle_dissident on July 20, 2016, 10:09:42 PM
I'm glad Gloucester and gentle_dissident joined us and stayed.
It's good to not be unwanted.
Awwww.  :hug:
It is nice, isn't it? The difficult part is keeping it like that for many years.  ;D

Tom62

Quote from: OldGit on July 20, 2016, 08:37:43 PM
Which part?

It is a bit hard to find. If you enter the Laid Back Lounge then turn left after approx. 100 meters. Walk straight through the hall of "Memorable and Honorable Members" This brings you to a section called "HA[L]F Forgotten Heroes". At the end, you'll see some stairs going down to the cellar. Be careful when walking down the stairs, because these are the "Stairs of Eternal Doom". There are rumours that the stairs were build by M.C. Escher and are haunted by the lost souls of banned HAF members :o. Once you are down in the cellar, turn right. What ever you do, don't turn left, because you might find out whatever happened to Whitney. On the right side you should find a curtain hanging on the wall. Behind that curtain is a small door, with a warning sign on it that says "Enter at your own risk". Behind the door you'll find a very small room that mainly filled with long forgotten HAF memorabilia and stuff. I'm part of the cupboard that is hidden the darkest corner.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

It'd have to be a tallboy cupboard.   :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

I've noticed that JJ and Claire haven't been around, does anyone know if they left us also?  :(
~Just curious.

I believe Claire went over to the States to visit JJ, so I guess they're.......busy?  ::)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 29, 2016, 03:46:06 PM
I've noticed that JJ and Claire haven't been around, does anyone know if they left us also?  :(
~Just curious.

I believe Claire went over to the States to visit JJ, so I guess they're.......busy?  ::)

Yeah, they must be reading books, or something.  :-\

:grin:

Arturo

This is one thing I see that deters me from talking so much. TOO MUCH READING! That's why I'm never here. I take an hour just to catch up on what I've missed. The threads are too long and that might be why new members don't show up. It takes time to integrate into a forum and nobody wants to jump right in when there is literally hundreds of pages to read before you can figure out what the heck is going on.

Maybe we can post more new threads and keep them short and sweet. Because the pages themselves are even long enough to read. I haven't even read page 1 of THIS thread because I just wanted to put my input out there since I'm one of those members that don't show their face.

EDIT: And this is just me, but the way we keep up with the forum by just looking at the "unread replies to your posts" section is just exclusionary. I constantly go to dead or almost dead threads because it's the most convenient way to connect with the forum. I think it causes me to leave out other active threads and make me feel excluded when people talk about things from other threads I had no idea were active.

Also it creates a competing set of functions where I could go to the "Show new replies to your posts" or manually search the forum where they show the most recent post anyway. I hope that's not just me but I find the two functions really competitive.

Maybe we could get rid of that feature and just get used to a regular way of searching a forum?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱