News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Rules we should all be able to live by?

Started by Tank, April 12, 2011, 03:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Are there a set of rules that it would be reasonable to expect all people to live by irrespective of their world view? If you think there are put one here. Don't make a big list please, it gives the chance for more people to contribute.

One may only kill another person:
    1) To save your own life in self defence
    2) To save the life of another person who can not defend themselves

Agree/disagree?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Those will be great until we get to the point where we are so overpopulated we are competing for resources... not at the world political level, but at the local levels within borders.  Some day the choices will be kill proactively or die starving.  When the deer population here gets too high, extra deer tags are issued out of season in a practice called "culling."  Eventually we'll need to cull the human population, as horrifying and heartless as that may sound.

Edit*  Since Twentythree cannot tell this is an opinion, I offer my disclaimer.  All things I say in forums are opinion, or in jest, unless I say otherwise.  I did not feel I presented anything in the above as fact, as I did not say "facts are" or "that's a fact," nor did I present studies, statistics, nor "as the god known as fester30 has written."  I'm just chatting in a forum, not presenting my dissertation.

Twentythree

Do not speak or write anything presented as fact that you cannot prove. Opinions and analysis may be expressed but these opinions may not be camouflaged as truth.

fester30

Quote from: "Twentythree"Do not speak or write anything presented as fact that you cannot prove. Opinions and analysis may be expressed but these opinions may not be camouflaged as truth.

Does my edit to my previous post satisfy the forum rules police with your 59 posts?

*Source for 59 posts was from the profile information to the right side of Twentythree's post directly above mine.  That total will change whenever he adds posts.  The "his" was taken also from that same profile information, where it says twentythree is male.

Cecilie

On my screen it says he has made 54 posts.
The world's what you create.

fester30

Quote from: "Cecilie"On my screen it says he has made 54 posts.

D'oh!

I formally submit a retraction on an earlier post when I said Twentythree had 59 posts.  If he had more than 59 posts right now, it would be more understandable (opinion) as the profile information seems to update with the number of posts an author has made (no statistics, studies, or proof, just assuming here, so take that for what you will).  Twentythree to this point has made 54 posts.  I humbly apologize for any confusion or for any questioning of childhood numerical education this may have caused.

Whitney

Quote from: "fester30"
Quote from: "Twentythree"Do not speak or write anything presented as fact that you cannot prove. Opinions and analysis may be expressed but these opinions may not be camouflaged as truth.

Does my edit to my previous post satisfy the forum rules police with your 59 posts?

WTF are you going on about?  This thread is about "rules we all should be able to live by."  Twentythree posted a rule we should all be able to live by; it had nothing to do with your post or the number of posts twentythree has made.

Twentythree

Fester, it was a rule we should live by. More directed at the slew of infotainment that is hurled our way on a daily basis than the posts presented in this forum. Also the suggestion was made from a stance of "in an ideal world..." I know that it is impossible to expect purely factual information to be presented in every argument it's just what I would prefer and under this topic i thought it fitting. I apologize if I offended you and I certainly did not mean to come across as an authority figure for this or any other forum.

fester30

Quote from: "Twentythree"Fester, it was a rule we should live by. More directed at the slew of infotainment that is hurled our way on a daily basis than the posts presented in this forum. Also the suggestion was made from a stance of "in an ideal world..." I know that it is impossible to expect purely factual information to be presented in every argument it's just what I would prefer and under this topic i thought it fitting. I apologize if I offended you and I certainly did not mean to come across as an authority figure for this or any other forum.

I'm sorry.  Coincidence of timing after my post where I had mentioned overpopulation and all.  I'll work on getting that foot out of my mouth :)

AreEl

Quote from: "Tank"Are there a set of rules that it would be reasonable to expect all people to live by irrespective of their world view?

There are none. Your very question reeks of religious overtones. Indeed, it stinks. I suspect you burn incense to a fat little Buddha you keep hidden somewhere in your home.
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

fester30

Quote from: "AreEl"
Quote from: "Tank"Are there a set of rules that it would be reasonable to expect all people to live by irrespective of their world view?

There are none. Your very question reeks of religious overtones. Indeed, it stinks. I suspect you burn incense to a fat little Buddha you keep hidden somewhere in your home.

Yes, our legal system is based on that of the Greeks and Romans with all their numerous gods.  Do you believe in their gods?

Whitney

Everyone should be able to not murder...yet pesky religious and political ideologies drive wars.

Are you looking for objective rules or are you just thinking about what ought to be objective but isn't because some people are easily manipulated by political/religious beliefs?

Quote from: "AreEl"There are none. Your very question reeks of religious overtones. Indeed, it stinks.

:hmm:  Care to elaborate?

Twentythree

Quote from: "fester30"
Quote from: "Twentythree"

I'm sorry.  Coincidence of timing after my post where I had mentioned overpopulation and all.  I'll work on getting that foot out of my mouth :)

No worries, I actually agree wholeheartedly that overpopulation will ultimately be our downfall. When we are forced directly or indirectly to compete for basic necessities will be when our precious societies collapse.

Tank

Quote from: "AreEl"

Then you suspect wrong and presume far more than you should given the evidence you have to hand, but then being a theist that's the way your world works isn't it? Know next to nothing and assume everything  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AreEl

Quote from: "Tank"Then you suspect wrong and presume far more than you should given the evidence you have to hand, but then being a theist that's the way your world works isn't it? Know next to nothing and assume everything  

Now my feelings are hurt!  

:hissyfit:
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker