News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

James Webb Space Telescope

Started by Tank, December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on August 06, 2022, 05:27:16 AMWelp, the Webb telescope can see a slice of Spanish chorizo.  :thoughtful:

"French scientist Etienne Klein apologises after 'James Webb Telescope' image revealed as slice of chorizo" | ABC

QuoteA senior French scientist has apologised after tweeting a picture which he said was from the James Webb Space Telescope — but which was not quite what it seemed.

Etienne Klein, a director at France's Atomic Energy Commission, posted a picture purportedly showing Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our sun.

"This level of detail ... a new world is revealed every day", he enthused in the tweet, sent to more than 90,000 followers on Monday.

However, Professor Klein has now admitted that the glowing celestial body shown was in fact nothing more than a slice of Spanish chorizo sausage.

[. . .]

Apologising for what he described as "a scientist's joke", he said his aim had been to remind people to "be wary of arguments from people in positions of authority".

"I come to present my apologies to those who may have been shocked by my prank, which had nothing original about it," he tweeted.

[Continues . . .]

Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our sun? Or...

...A slice of Spanish chorizo sausage?

Answer: Both are alternative facts.

Truth:
A slice of a, "4D sausage along the time axis."

:reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena link=msg=420654A slice of a, "4D sausage along the time axis."

A slice across time and the plane of the telescope's field of view. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on August 06, 2022, 07:37:41 AM
Quote from: Magdalena link=msg=420654A slice of a, "4D sausage along the time axis."

A slice across time and the plane of the telescope's field of view. :smilenod:

Quote...the plane of the telescope's field of view.
Got it.

See?
I pay attention.

;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

He really should have waited till 1st April to do that :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

...Also, should never, ever apologize on Twitter. That place has honed clutching onto any perceived offence and never letting go to an art. A misplaced apology there is likely to have an person up to their neck in sins to repent, and repent immediately and to the mob's satisfaction. Except of course there is no satisfying the mob.

Me, I just tend to get banned from there. With a smile - every time.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I watched a Nova (PBS) program about the construction and testing of the JWST.  Fascinating stuff to be sure.  The scientists and engineers were extremely careful about every conceivable detail.  They compiled a list of 334 possible failures that could doom the whole 20+ yearlong project.  They systematically addressed every one of the failure possibilities. That is one of the reasons the project took so long to complete. 

The whole machine was shipped to Houston so that it could be tested in a vacuum chamber whose temperatures could be reduced to more than minus 200 centigrade.  It took 30 days to gradually draw the temp down in the chamber. The Telescope endured the temperatures well enough, then they did the vibration test where the macie was exposed to the vibrations expected during launch and flight in space. An unexpected glitch was revealed.  During vibration tests some bolts and nuts fell off which might endanger the sucess of the whole thing. One more of the failure possibilities was revealed and remedied.

Among the biggest dramas was when the machine was in place and had its heat shields deployed, That was a delicate process that took several days.  After that, the had to adjust each of the mirror leaves so as to focus correctly. All that done while a million miles away.

The whole project was a mind-boggling, spectacular effort on the part of the builders and operators. That is one helluva expensive bit of work. Billions and Billions of dollars were used in the process. At one time congress almost shut the whole thing down because of the enormous expense. Fortunately, they did not cut off the funding.

billy rubin

cool pictures.

are the hungry dalits in india helped on any way by the increased knowledge generated by the telescope?

asking for a friend

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on August 09, 2022, 12:55:32 AMcool pictures.

are the hungry dalits in india helped on any way by the increased knowledge generated by the telescope?

asking for a friend

No more than the world attack budget.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

billy rubin

Icarus

Jupiter has a belly button.  Who knew?

Tank

Tank

:frolic:  :frolic:  :frolic:

Webb telescope makes first unequivocal detection of carbon dioxide in an exoplanet atmosphere

"For the first time, astronomers have found unambiguous evidence of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of an exoplanet (a planet outside our solar system).

The discovery, accepted for publication in Nature and posted online August 25, demonstrates the power of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) to deliver unprecedented observations of exoplanet atmospheres."

Just wait until it detects industrial pollution!

Asmodean

JWST... What other things could that stand for, an person wonders?

Jehova's Witnesses Sex Therapy
Jews Who Sell Truffles
Jamaican Women's Soccer Team
Jim Wanks Sometimes Too

This. It is fun for easily-amused The Asmo. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.