News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Principal Proclivity: Procrastination Problem Persists

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 18, 2018, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 10, 2020, 09:09:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 10, 2020, 09:07:07 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 10, 2020, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on February 10, 2020, 08:22:26 PM
i had a difficult time getting my palaeontology thesis out. my profezsor was a procrastinator, and took way too much time reviewing draftz. i had a job offer 1500 milez away and a deadline.

eventually i just left, worked at tge job for a year and flew back for the defense. me actually juzt leaving finally got him moving.

Yeah...I don't know if I'll even be able to wait for my professor to review my final draft. He's abroad and only returns on the 20th.

Do you need time off from HAF?

I'm trying to control it without having to be that drastic. :P Besides HAF there are other distractions such as Youtube and Netflix so if I can't find it within me to manage my time better nothing will change. :sad sigh:
Do the things you have to do, and be prepared to take the losses of things you can't do. Among the things you can do- what are the most important and do those. There's no need to worry about things you can't do if you can't change the circumstances as worrying won't change them. Handle the Things that can be done. Temporarily put aside things you won't need until the important things are taken care of. Whatever losses occur, you'll have to live with. Then you can return to having peace of mind.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Well, I got more done these past couple of days than I did in the past week. :grin: Taking a break now to catch up on these juicy HAF threads and posts...

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 10:31:58 PM
Well, I got more done these past couple of days than I did in the past week. :grin: Taking a break now to catch up on these juicy HAF threads and posts...

Well done.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2020, 10:33:35 PM

Well done.

Grazie! :grin:

Magdalena

Good to "see" you, again.  :hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on February 17, 2020, 10:58:13 PM
Good to "see" you, again.  :hug:

Likewise! :hug:

:grin:

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

It's getting bad. The crippling anxiety and frustration I feel has eclipsed any pleasurable feelings I gain from writing my thesis and any attempt at crafting each sentence feels hopelessly misguided. I get caught up in the minutia of technique, something I feel I have no competence in and what I get on the page are Frankenstein's Monster agglomerations of words and ideas. The entire text feels like an ugly, pieced-together monster that's going to suffer at the hands of the evaluators and make my life miserable.   

I don't know what to do.  :(

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 08, 2020, 01:50:31 PM
It's getting bad. The crippling anxiety and frustration I feel has eclipsed any pleasurable feelings I gain from writing my thesis and any attempt at crafting each sentence feels hopelessly misguided. I get caught up in the minutia of technique, something I feel I have no competence in and what I get on the page are Frankenstein's Monster agglomerations of words and ideas. The entire text feels like an ugly, pieced-together monster that's going to suffer at the hands of the evaluators and make my life miserable.   

I don't know what to do.  :(

Put the core ideas as bullet points on one page.
Put them in order.
Flesh out each point.
Join them together.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

^^^do that.

write out the outline of what you want to have, just the structure, whatever the standard format is.

then bullet point each section with one-sentence tag lines, put in the titles of tables and figures

take each section and bullet point it as well. each of these will be a paragraph.

write the paragraphs one at a time

put em together

sprinkle in whatever you forgot and left out.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

^^^ this.

I suggest that you start with a single page of basic bullet points as this will force you to include the critical and leave out the crap. It also forces you to synthesise your own points/arguments down to a manageable number to allow you to gain focus that your supervisor can get their head around. A thesis is like a joke (no joke intended) with its conclusion as the 'punch-line'. You only put into a joke the necessary information to build to the punch-line. Only put into your thesis that which supports your conclusion. 

xSilverPhinx