News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Jonty Bravery - Sentenced

Started by Randy, June 26, 2020, 04:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

A teenager who threw a 6-year-old boy from London's Tate Modern museum has been jailed for at least 15 years

This is disgusting. The teenager did it to get on TV.
QuoteJonty Bravery, of West London, admitted one count of attempted murder at London's Old Bailey court in December, saying he threw the child from a balcony of the Thames-side tourist attraction in August with the intention of killing him so he could be on the news.
The boy survived but suffered life-changing injuries as a result of falling five floors from a 10th-floor viewing platform. He suffered a bleed to his brain and a number of fractured bones.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

>:( He could also just have jumped off a cliff to get in the news. That is one messed-up act.

billy rubin

they're talking about him as if he were mentally ill.

is he diagnosable, or is that messed up act simply an indicator in people's minds of illness?

i used to hang out on the weekends with a pakistani motel keeper when i ran a farmer's market booth in the big city. we discussed the nature of violence and evil once. i said that i thought evil was a malady, that sane people wee not evil, and to like evil there had to be something broken inside you.

he disagreed, and maintained that perfectly ordinary and sane people practiced evil as part of their psyches while being sane.

i've never made up my mind about this question.

i never knew that pakistanis told sikh jokes the way americans tell aggie jokes.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Sikh jokes? What, just puns?  ;D I regularly plotted methods of demise for the jackasses who made everybody's life miserable on the freeway during the commute home in the afternoon. But I never acted on any of them, and never even felt compelled to.

No one

If it were my child, this prick would be taking the dirt nap. We'd take the scenic route.

billy rubin

theyre long jokez

you ll have to wait

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

It would be nice to see how the little boy is doing. We probably won't hear about him though, sadly.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on June 26, 2020, 09:26:41 PM
they're talking about him as if he were mentally ill.

is he diagnosable, or is that messed up act simply an indicator in people's minds of illness?

i used to hang out on the weekends with a pakistani motel keeper when i ran a farmer's market booth in the big city. we discussed the nature of violence and evil once. i said that i thought evil was a malady, that sane people wee not evil, and to like evil there had to be something broken inside you.

he disagreed, and maintained that perfectly ordinary and sane people practiced evil as part of their psyches while being sane.

i've never made up my mind about this question.

i never knew that pakistanis told sikh jokes the way americans tell aggie jokes.

That's an interesting discussion I think. IMO everybody has the potential to be evil (not going into what evil is) and some circumstances and environments are favourable for evil to flourish. Of course, not all people are the same, we have different experiences and genes -- but some have a lower threshold to commit evil acts than others.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i think i can define evil as the mental state that considerz performing or permitting harm to others to be acceptable or desireable.

i consider war to be evil, for example, for tge same reasons as murder.

after tbat it gets gray.

Randy

I've seen evil first hand. It's too long to print here but it's in my autobiography if I ever finish the darn thing.

Anyway, this evil came from a superiority complex along with an overwhelming selfishness. She ruined the lives of four people, my family. We had to rebuild after it was over. It took about six years.

I guess what I'm pointing out is there are all sorts of traits and all it takes is acting upon them to become evil.

billy rubin

so youre defining evil as an act, but not az a disposition?

ive been trying to decide.

for example, if it is evil to set cats on fire, is it also evil to enjoy thinking about other people doing it?

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on June 29, 2020, 03:51:40 PM
so youre defining evil as an act, but not az a disposition?

ive been trying to decide.

for example, if it is evil to set cats on fire, is it also evil to enjoy thinking about other people doing it?
That's a good question, something I've not pondered before especially if other people are burning cats for real and someone is enjoying the thought of it. Is that person evil?

Here's something else though; we watch action movies and get to see people killed in some form or fashion. Sometimes it's slow torture. It's fiction and no one is harmed but we enjoy it and root for whomever the protagonist is. Does this make us evil? Does it make the filmmakers evil? At what point do we draw the line?

billy rubin

where that line is drawn is a critical question that is not often asked in my culture.

my children grew up without television programming or motion pictures in their lives, except what they saw in motels while we were making our living doing farmer's markets selling honey bee stuff.  they have mostly developed a studied sophistication regarding brutality in television or motion pictures, but i have gone the other way.

the older i get, the less tolerant i am of watching depictions of violence or evil as entertainment. i havent watched a so-called horror movie in perhaps thirty years. accepting evil as entertainment to me is equivalent to performing it myself, and i refuse to participate. i walk out on violent motion pictures, and i won't play my kid's murderous GTA-style games with them. we have some sort of streaming video now in the house, netflix or hulu or something similar, but there is very little that i can watch with my family. i just stand up and leave.

you are what you eat, as i see it, and you become that which you accept.

Dark Lightning

Well said. I've been in the same boat for decades. The shite that passes for television programming is unbelievable. My wife watches the Lifetime Channel. I call it the Deathtime Channel. So much mayhem. We get inured to the violence we see, I think. I don't like going to the movies either because of the violence (and the sound levels are injurious). And I don't like chick flicks, needless to say. My wife wanted to go see the new "Robin Hood" movie awhile back. I figured guys hiding behind trees shooting arrows. Instead it was battle field loud in a lot of places. And I had forgotten my ear plugs.  :(