News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

I feel like Pence needs a thread of his own

Started by Pasta Chick, July 21, 2016, 12:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

This video is making the rounds--I found it on Moran's Sandwalk. The Creationist Mike Pence yammers:

So, he says that his training was in "law and history," then almost immediately presents a complete falsehood about law and history. At 0:47 --

"1925; in the famous "Scopes monkey trial" this theory [evolution] made its way, through litigation, into the classrooms of America . . ."

The Scopes trial was about a teacher who presented evolution in his classroom, so it's not true that it was because of the trial that evolution started being taught in the US. As anybody who knows something about the trial can tell you, Scopes was found guilty of violating the Butler Act. If anything, the trial resulted in the teaching of evolution being impeded, at least in Tennessee. Either Pence is ignorant about his supposed areas of expertise, or he's simply a bald-faced liar.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

If the film was anything like accurate it would seem that creationist lawyers have not evolved much since 1925.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

"Inherit the Wind" is of course a dramatization of the trial. It's more or less accurate, but rather unsympathetic to the Creationist side. H.L. Mencken attended the trial and filed reports on its progress (no surprise that he was also unsympathetic to Creationism). There's a series of podcasts done in the style of 1920s radio that presents his reports. They can also be read online.

William Jennings Bryan, the star lawyer for the prosecution, was certainly an interesting character in his own right. Mencken said of his efforts during the Scopes trial: "Once he had one leg in the White House and the nation trembled under his roars. Now he is a tinpot pope in the Coca-Cola belt and a brother to forlorn pastors who belabor halfwits in galvanized iron tabernacles behind the railroad yards....It is a tragedy, indeed, to begin life as a hero and to end it as a buffoon." I don't think Jennings was particularly dishonest, but I do wonder about Mike Pence.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

The video featuring Mike Pence has annoyed me thoroughly. The esteemed governor Pence  used the word theory, umpteen times and it is evident that he does not know the actual meaning of the word. 

Dave

Watched tbe clip again, yes, he uses "theory" almost like a swear word.

Kept thinking about Stewart Granger as I listened to the delivery. But, on reflection, I think Granger would have had trouble dumbing down enough for this act.

Poltics and religion is an alliance to be feared! Politics are science are bound to oppose. Unfortunstely politics always has the top cards - even if most of them are fakes.

Recusant

Found this collection of Mike Pence nonsense. The title is accurate, strange as that may seem.

"'Smoking Doesn't Kill' And Other Great Old Op-Eds From Mike Pence | BuzzFeed
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I was foolish enough to watch that vid a second time..  Mr. Pence is clearly behaving like a southern Baptist minister.  Is this goober to be our sure enough vice prez.?  May the rapture take him to his promised land before his term is up.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on January 24, 2017, 01:46:15 AM
. . .  May the rapture take him to his promised land before his term is up.

Like, today?

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 21, 2016, 12:12:58 AM
I mean, the absolutely asinine shit that comes out of this guy's mouth is off the charts. My newsfeeds are flooded with it already. I can't figure out what Trump is thinking partnering with someone who has this many blatant skeletons, but that's a topic for the Duke thread.

Here's a good one to start things off: Pence States Children Who Have Working Mothers Are Emotionally Stunted

Quote"So am I condemning anyone who has chosen the day-care route?" he wrote.

"Absolutely not. I am criticizing a culture that has sold the big lie that 'Mom doesn't matter.' These statistics should ignite a national debate about the family and precisely who should be raising the next generation of Americans.

"We should seriously rethink a tax code that makes it less and less possible for one parent to stay home with the kids and replace it with a family-friendly system of tax collection.

"Or we could just settle for another generation of adults with good language and cognitive skills but stunted emotional growth. Let's take these findings and put families first again."

Or, you know, ensure maternity leave and affordable child care, but then those rascally womenfolk might get away from the stove again!

If he believes that, and I was Freud, I would say he has an incestuous fascination for his mother.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Either Mike Pence is incredibly incompetent or what we have here is Pence lying to Fox News and the rest of the world on camera (skip to about 15:06 if the timestamp doesn't work and you don't want to listen to Maddow's setup).

— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2017, 01:40:29 AM
Either Mike Pence is incredibly incompetent or what we have here is Pence lying to Fox News and the rest of the world on camera [...[

I'll hedge my bets and got for an each way wager. He is a lying incompetent and an incompetent liar.

Recusant

If one were to choose "incompetent," then it would also imply that he is completely unable or unwilling to fulfill his duties as head of the Trump transition team.

I think that what the Fox interview shows is that Pence is a well-practiced liar who is rather good at impersonating somebody who is being honest. A normal politician, in other words. Why he would choose to lie about something like the date that he learned that Flynn has been in the employ of Turkey is another question. No immediately apparent benefit to him or the Trump administration accrues as a result of the lie.
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2017, 09:24:17 AM
If one were to choose "incompetent," then it would also imply that he is completely unable or unwilling to fulfill his duties as head of the Trump transition team.

I think that what the Fox interview shows is that Pence is a well-practiced liar who is rather good at impersonating somebody who is being honest. A normal politician, in other words. Why he would choose to lie about something like the date that he learned that Flynn has been in the employ of Turkey is another question. No immediately apparent benefit to him or the Trump administration accrues as a result of the lie.
I will still go for "incompetent liar". The competent liar does not simply divert the question, or answer the question he or she really wanted to be asked, they answer the question directly in a manner that cannot be challenged but is wrong ir serves their interest. I would suggest the averaage politician is barely more competent a liar than the average five year old, they just use bigger words and more of them to obfuscate the truth.

But, OK, that's mainly semantics.

(Been waiting for a long time for an excuse to use "obfuscate"! Wanted "obscurate" but that isn't a word (yet).)

Icarus

The latest rap on our Veep is that he is committed to the practice of the Billy Graham Rule.  That is a rule that forbids a man from having lunch or any other meal with a woman unless the mans wife is present. It also forbids the man from occupying a room or office with a woman unless his wife is present.

That is going to make a problem if Mr. Pence actually practices that crackpot idea on work days.  What if some political necessity involved having the VP meet with one of our female senators or representatives?  I have to snicker at the prospect of Pence becoming aroused by Nancy Pelosi, Claire McCaskel, Nikki Haley, or Elizabeth Warren.  (To be fair, there are a few lady reps that are pretty hot.)

I have news for him.... Mike you are a man of Jesus, right? You are duty bound to behave as he did, Right?  Jesus did manage his libido sufficiently in cases such as his almost famous meeting with the Samaritan woman at a well out in the boondocks. The woman was a Jezebel  but JC managed not to become all horny just because she was a scarlet woman, there was no witnesses around, and he had an ideal setup to get laid. ....See John 4:7.

The tale about Billy Graham goes like this......Billy was doing one of his spectacular gigs in Atlanta or somewhere. He went to his hotel room only to find that a naked woman was lying in his bed.  The intent was to discredit poor Billy G.  After that he promised never, ever, to allow himself to be alone with a woman unless his wife was present. Thus the Billy Graham Rule.

Pence describes himself as a "Catholic Christian" because in his youth he was a catholic but later became a born again type.

Davin

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-39993725/mike-pence-university-address-hit-by-student-walk-out

QuoteIn his address, Mr Pence decried the "increasing intolerance and suppression" of free speech that he said was sweeping university campuses.

As a vice president and a politician, he should know how the freedom of speech works.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.