News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Isn't somebody going to stop me?

Started by MarcusA, April 25, 2023, 03:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Why object to taxes? They are what makes the civilised world civilised?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Taxes in general, as a sort of lease for living in a civilised society, are OK. A necessary evil at worst.

The problem for me arises when I get taxed in different capacities towards purposes outside said capacities. So, if you want to tax me as a smoker (in ways, in which you do not tax non-smokers), that money should go entirely and specifically towards mitigating the ill effects of smoking. If you want to tax me for driving my car (again, in ways you do not tax the cyclist or the pedestrian), that money should, in its entirety, go towards the road network at the very least and preferably, personal transport. The list goeth on. What my government tends to do with such taxes, is put them in the common cauldron, stir well and job's a good 'un. It's not. I'm happy enough to pay for common necessities as a resident with an income. Specific taxes should be for purposes within their scope. To put it this way, why should I pay for your dental care as a road user?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

The problem with smokers is that they're too damn civil.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Whatever I do, it will be my choice.

Icarus

Marcus I take that you are an addicted smoker.  If that is the case I urge you to do as I say. Go into the bathroom look into the mirror at yourself. Now assume a serious posture and ask the mirror; Just who in the hell is in charge here? Is it me or is it the tobacco barons who persuaded me to become suicidal?

MarcusA

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2023, 02:50:56 AMMarcus I take that you are an addicted smoker.  If that is the case I urge you to do as I say. Go into the bathroom look into the mirror at yourself. Now assume a serious posture and ask the mirror; Just who in the hell is in charge here? Is it me or is it the tobacco barons who persuaded me to become suicidal?

I look in the mirror all the time, and I am seriously old.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2023, 02:50:56 AMMarcus I take that you are an addicted smoker.  If that is the case I urge you to do as I say. Go into the bathroom look into the mirror at yourself. Now assume a serious posture and ask the mirror; Just who in the hell is in charge here? Is it me or is it the tobacco barons who persuaded me to become suicidal?
And if those barons just happen to be too powerful and that sweet, sweet tobacco too pleasant, you can take The Asmoic route. Digitalise, then lose interest. :smilenod:

Of course, doing nothing about it is always an option as well. As long as you are aware of the potential consequences (and quite often, even if you are not), they are yours to potentially-incur.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I know the risks of smoking and willingly continue to smoke. Let's face it, I'm addicted.

The Magic Pudding..

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.