News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

american primary elections

Started by billy rubin, March 03, 2020, 12:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i'm luckier than most people. my wife runs for the government so i get to vote for her. today she and i and the number two daughter went down to the precinct to vote in the presidential primary, and when i got my ballot, there she was as the democratic candidate for congress.

i confess i had forgotten that she would be there, because we had been discussing the presidential primaries instead.

if she wins and goes to the capitol, i will quit my job and run the house instead. but she won't win. lasttime she only managed 30,000 votes to her opponent's 70,000.

but where else in the world can you vote for your wife to represent you in the national government?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Some eminently qualified people do not win. Never mind that they may have more intelligence and a higher moral character , and sense of duty than whoever the ultimate winner is.

In the past two days there were some good presidential aspirants who folded their cards.  Steyer, Mayor Pete, and Klobuchar.  All  gave up the seemingly fruitless fight.  Damn!  I liked all three of them. 

What we have left is a strange set.  Bernie and Elizabeth are pie in the sky dreamers and Biden and Mayor Mike are the  ones who are being realistic.  I fear that the voters will not be able to, or not choose to, separate the options with suitable common sense.    I Like them all, even the pie in the sky ones. What the hell I even like Tulsi Gabbard who is the lonely, never happen, hanger on.  In fact I would vote for a ham sandwich if it was possible that it could defeat Trump.  Oops, never mind ham sandwich....two of the major candidates are Jewish.  One must wonder if Jewish might influence some of the voters. I fear that it might.

What we need to do, more important to do, is to concentrate on the down ballot candidates.  If we are not careful we will keep electing nutters like Matt Gaetz, Ted Cruz, Jim Jordan and other off the deep end goobers.  If we do not wrest the Senate from the likes of Mitch McConnel then we are in for another long and painful four to six years.

billy rubin

old jordan has a moderate running against him in the primary and might lose.

i'd like to see warren in the white house because she best represents what i'd like to see this country become, unlikely or not.

and i would really, really like to watch her debate donald trump.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

I will vote tomorrow.

No, I'm not what Trump calls, an "illegal alien." And, No, I will not put on a different hat and vote many, many, many times  --either.  ::)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kusa

billy rubin

things should fall into place after tomorrow, i hope.

Sandra Craft

Voted weeks ago by mail.  Fortunately, my candidate is not one of those that dropped out.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

From all the remaining candidate, I like Warren the most. Sanders would be a more interesting candidate, but I find him too old.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Kusa

Quid Pro Joe will win the primary and then lose the election.

Icarus

Quote from: Kusa on March 04, 2020, 01:40:37 AM

Please dear FSM do not let that happen.  Joe may not be my favorite but I will vote for him and cajole my friends to do the same.  Any one but Trump will do. I take that back. Not Pence, the Jesus incarnate one, either

Where the fuck do those Trump people get their information?  From the comic books?   A recent TV interview of the leader of a "Women for Trump" organization stated that Trump was more respectful of women than any previous president. The brain dead woman really meant it.  The interviewer was kind enough not to ask about the pussy grabbing, Stormy Daniels, and calling one of his banished female acolytes ; Horseface, Pelosi a low IQ bitch......and so on.   :foottap:

Aaaah! I feel better now.

Mr. B

A self proclaimed Native American woman, an atheist Jew and a townhouse cracker walk into a brokered convention.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Kusa

Dark Lightning

Yeah, I'd rather have Bernie in there, too. The chump (Trump, for those who don't know my favorite sobriquet for the turd that is currently infesting the White House) has way better lies than that meme attempts to communicate.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Kusa on March 04, 2020, 01:40:37 AM

People not voting for him, or the EC screwing things up again?  Biden's not my first choice -- or the second, third or fourth, for that matter -- but we're in a burning house so I'm fine with quibbling about the wallpaper later.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

The chances that Trump will be re-elected are sky high. None of the democratic candidates are appealing or charismatic enough for the general public. My favourite democratic candidate was Elisabeth Warren, but she has as much charisma as a piece of furniture. Sanders seems to have the best cards against Trump, but I think he is too old and has every expensive ideas that most voters in the USA probably don't want to support. Biden, I don't like at all. I find him a bit creepy, corrupt, mentally unstable and also too old. Trump has a lot of things going for him. The state of the economy is OK, unemployment is low (especially among minority groups) and the US isn't involved in another war. Yes, he is loud, selfish, a moron and obnoxious but that doesn't seem to reduce his chances for a re-election.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein