News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

poop continues. in six-ton increments.

the cardboard to the right is what i hide behind while i open the door on the box. it will get scooped up and taken to the landfill on the next trailer out.

as for me, poop every day now except yesterday. more poop tomorrow.

the settling tanks are 40 feet by 20. one is still half full and the other two thirds.

i anticipate more poop in my future.

and tom, what was the result of the testing?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on November 12, 2023, 09:19:10 PMpoop continues. in six-ton increments.

the cardboard to the right is what i hide behind while i open the door on the box. it will get scooped up and taken to the landfill on the next trailer out.

as for me, poop every day now except yesterday. more poop tomorrow.

the settling tanks are 40 feet by 20. one is still half full and the other two thirds.

i anticipate more poop in my future.

and tom, what was the result of the testing?

:yeahok: I hope that that cardboard is good and stout! Do you get an scba?

billy rubin

you cant see it, but to the right is the recycled cardboard pile, some 18 feet high. i can choose a good piece of cardboard out of tons of possibilities.

and seriously, this stuff is ugly looking, but its been macerated, treated, and settled out. no smell anymore, i think. but i have no sense of smell so it maybe it does.

dont want to swim in it tho so i try to plan the procedure

Dark Lightning

That process removes or kills the bacteria and viruses, I trust?

billy rubin

i believe so. its always been thought to be benign.

except these days we have discovered forever chenicals that are NOT benign that remain in it.

spreading it on farm fields used to be okay. now its turning out to have been a mistake

Dark Lightning

The reason I ask is because California has forbidden the use of even treated sewage for crop fertilization (this may have changed, but I doubt it). Not for bacteria or viruses, but for heavy metal contamination. California provides a large percentage of the nation's food. People in this state don't really understand the issues with waste. Example- One can get free compost from the City of LA simply by asking for it. It comes from recycling bins for yard trimmings that the city provides for that purpose. They take it and compost it and then you can get it. One of my son's friend's parents had some delivered to their house. That load had ground up tooth brushes and other plastic waste in it. A friend of mine works at a water treatment plant. Wet wipes people use for baby's and other asses aren't supposed to be flushed into the waste water, because they clog the digestors. It's a giant problem here in the US, because people do it, anyway. Don't get me started on seeing disposable diapers tossed onto the parking lot at any major department store.

Icarus

I am constantly grumpy because my damned phone rings so often. I get as many as 12 robocalls per day. That is making me more than grumpy.  I am a night person and go to bed in the wee hours. Then I sleep until late morning. I am really pissed when some goober rings my phone at 8 AM while I am sleeping.

That is my land phone, but my cell phone has also begun to ring because of those damned robocalls that want to sell me gold or leaf filters or insurance, or solar panels. I mostly ignore the ringing but the ringing sound itself is annoying.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2023, 03:55:05 AMI am constantly grumpy because my damned phone rings so often. I get as many as 12 robocalls per day. That is making me more than grumpy.  I am a night person and go to bed in the wee hours. Then I sleep until late morning. I am really pissed when some goober rings my phone at 8 AM while I am sleeping.

That is my land phone, but my cell phone has also begun to ring because of those damned robocalls that want to sell me gold or leaf filters or insurance, or solar panels. I mostly ignore the ringing but the ringing sound itself is annoying.

We have a system in the UK called the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ You register your number landline and mobile and if a marketing company calls it they can be fined up to £10,000. We get maybe on call every couple of months. All I say is 'Have you heard of the TPS system?' And they hang up. I can't remember the last time I got an automated call.

When the TPS first started one of the major banks tried to get around it by calling from Ireland. I didn't know this when I picked up the call. I asked if the they had heard of the TPS system. They replied that as the were calling from Ireland it didn't count. Later that day I went to the local branch of the bank and demanded to see the manager and have him explain to me why he thought his company was above British law? He apologised and a week later the bank stopped the practice. By all accounts they had been inundated with complaints :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Do you not have an opt-out service which... Well, opts you out from marketing by the more-serious actors?

Or are you getting spammed with scam calls?

My ISP (also phone provider) actually has an opt-in system that filters probable scam calls. Sometimes, I get a single ring before it hangs up - sometimes not even that.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

We have a phone that requires the caller to press "one" before putting them through. Robocalls went from many a day to zero. Base station and four handsets cost $120 at CostCo, several years ago. Well worth the expense.

billy rubin

i use a spam filter that creates a database of reported spam calls among all its users snd blocks them.

it works pretty well but has glitches occasionally

i also block all international calls so the guys frpm jamacia dont even get a hearing

Asmodean

They might by using voip with a spoofed local number :smilenod: That's how ""Microsoft"" India operates over 'ere these days.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I will explore. There may be some sort of robocall blocking program similar to TPS. Also looking into the phone system that DL suggested.

Thanks for the clues.

billy rubin

look into the "Hiyah" app. it has a member database of spam numbers and can flag or block calls completely, however you set it up.

i just hae it notify me of the nature of the call and then make up my own mind whether to answer. and some numbers i will never see.

my telephone service also has a feature that will block all numbers that i do not have in a list, and will respond to the caller with a message that says i do not accept calls from new numbers, and to please disconnect and send a text that identifies the caller and the purpose. legitimate new callers will text with a message about who they are and i can call them back if i want to.

in general, i mostly do not answer any calls from numbers i dont have in my caller ID, and certainly i never answer calls from private accounts that hide thier number.

Asmodean

One thing to be mindful of with spam number databases;

While this mostly applies to scam calls rather than people wanting to sell you crap you don't need for money you don't want to spend, the numbers they use are often spoofed.

What this means is that someone may be calling from one number, but broadcasting another as their caller identity. That number can be random or lifted straight out of the yellow pages. Technically, ""Microsoft"" India could call you from "your wife's" number. If that number happens to have been spoofed before, it may be in one or several such databases, and you will not receive calls from it until and unless it is discovered that the number is in fact legitimate, and the database is updated accordingly. I suspect some more sophisticated services may run number lookups to avoid blacklisting spoofed numbers.

It's mostly a non-issue, but I have seen examples to the contrary.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.