News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

american primary elections

Started by billy rubin, March 03, 2020, 12:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

I don't think white men are looked down upon. At least not any more than any other group. I do feel like white men have less shit to deal with so when they are "attacked" it tends to, in contrast, seem like it's a bigger thing than it is.

Oh, you're being criticized? I'm sorry, that's so terrible. And all black men had to deal with was barriers put in place by white men in power for centuries. Truly we should be more careful about white men's sensitive feelings when talking about them, they've had a lot of nothing to deal with for a long time. White men had to actually commit crimes to be harassed by the police, so lets be gentle with their emotions. White men in power were able to rape women with impunity, so let's be delicate with them as they transition to being held accountable for things they did. A black kid who steals $45 will spend years in prison, so let's be extra careful about how we address the problem when rich white people defraud people out of billions of dollars pick one of them to fall on their sword and has to spend a few months in house arrest. Let's try to hold back viciousness when minorities selling pot get life sentences and the white people directly responsible for the opioid epidemic have to pay less than 0.0001% of the money they made from it in fines and avoid any jail time at all.

Come on, won't some one think of the white men? They've had it so easy for so long, so let's be extra careful with their emotions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kusa

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PM
I don't think white men are looked down upon. At least not any more than any other group. I do feel like white men have less shit to deal with so when they are "attacked" it tends to, in contrast, seem like it's a bigger thing than it is.

Oh, you're being criticized? I'm sorry, that's so terrible. And all black men had to deal with was barriers put in place by white men in power for centuries. Truly we should be more careful about white men's sensitive feelings when talking about them, they've had a lot of nothing to deal with for a long time. White men had to actually commit crimes to be harassed by the police, so lets be gentle with their emotions. White men in power were able to rape women with impunity, so let's be delicate with them as they transition to being held accountable for things they did. A black kid who steals $45 will spend years in prison, so let's be extra careful about how we address the problem when rich white people defraud people out of billions of dollars pick one of them to fall on their sword and has to spend a few months in house arrest. Let's try to hold back viciousness when minorities selling pot get life sentences and the white people directly responsible for the opioid epidemic have to pay less than 0.0001% of the money they made from it in fines and avoid any jail time at all.

Come on, won't some one think of the white men? They've had it so easy for so long, so let's be extra careful with their emotions.
That's a lot of lumping people together. You sound like a racist.

Magdalena

Quote from: Kusa on March 12, 2020, 12:07:53 AM
You triggered me.

I'm curious...
Which "triggered" are you talking about?

QuoteTriggered
An emotional/psychological reaction caused by something that somehow relates to an upsetting time or happening in someone's life. This reaction is often found to happen in war veterans, people suffering with PTSD, depression, and other mental disorders.

OR...or...

QuoteTriggered
"upset and annoyed"
An individual's unwillingness to accept that people have different opinions. 

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kusa

Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2020, 01:10:36 AM
You triggered me.

I'm curious...

QuoteTriggered
An emotional/psychological reaction caused by something that somehow relates to an upsetting time or happening in someone's life. This reaction is often found to happen in war veterans, people suffering with PTSD, depression, and other mental disorders.

OR...or...

QuoteTriggered
"upset and annoyed"
An individual's unwillingness to accept that people have different opinions.
I was just trying to use a term that you would find familiar.

Magdalena

Quote from: Kusa on March 13, 2020, 01:18:22 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2020, 01:10:36 AM
You triggered me.

I'm curious...

QuoteTriggered
An emotional/psychological reaction caused by something that somehow relates to an upsetting time or happening in someone's life. This reaction is often found to happen in war veterans, people suffering with PTSD, depression, and other mental disorders.

OR...or...

QuoteTriggered
"upset and annoyed"
An individual's unwillingness to accept that people have different opinions.
I was just trying to use a term that you would find familiar.
You don't know me, kusa.
How can you say that?
I don't know you, that's why I asked. I don't know if you are joking or being genuine.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Mr. B

Not all white men are rich. The war on poverty is real and does not discriminate. Where I grew up was in a lower middle class neighborhood. My best friend lived in the projects just up the road. We're talking 99% white projects. I used to pick him up and drop him off to and from high school. Maybe once or twice a year there were mandatory police check points going into my neighborhood. Maybe two or three times a month there were mandatory police check points going into the projects.

Not all white people enjoy what you describe as white privilege.

Racism is more complex because there are plenty of examples, too many in fact, of middle class and affluent minority people being harassed by the police just because of their skin tone in relationship to the car they drive or the neighborhood that happen to be driving through.

But it does work both ways.

I once lived in a predominately poor black neighbor hood in Charleston S.C. At the time I was driving a sharp looking Dodge Intrepid. It was several years used but so what. It still looked fancy. So, I got pulled over driving out of my neighborhood. Typical poor neighborhood police sting kind of thing. Long story short, I was pulled over because I was white, driving a "nice" car in a poor black neighborhood. My car was searched. My friend and I were separated and questioned separately.

I wish you could have seen the surprise on the officers face when I showed him my license which proved that I lived where I said I lived.

They literally pulled me over because I was a white guy driving a halfway decent looking car in a black neighborhood because they thought I was rolling around selling drugs.

I was just heading out to pick up my future brother in law from work because he didn't have a car.

White privilege?

Yeah, I'd like to have some please?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Bad Penny II

I don't think white men are looked down upon. At least not any more than any other group
Ye, some places they maybe and probably deserve to be and, well, let's not be sexist.
Lots of pales go to Bali and act oafish, halfish of them are female, maybe they're only half as oafish as the males, I don't know, an area for investigation, I'll apply for a grant from the Trump Institute.

I do feel like white men have less shit to deal

OK, in general, but, but, but... the danger of generalisation
THEY taught us racial discrimination was bad.
"Racial discrimination is any discrimination against individuals on the basis of their skin color, or racial or ethnic origin."
Is it OK now in the 2020s?

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PMwhen they are "attacked" it tends to, in contrast, seem like it's a bigger thing than it is.
I don't acknowledge it as an attack, it's just stupids being incomprehensibly  stupid.

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PMTruly we should be more careful about white men's sensitive feelings when talking about them, they've had a lot of nothing to deal with for a long time.

Shit, fuck, Ok.
The oldest building in town is a 1820s church built by white convicts, do you know their story?
I had a daughter that didn't want to eat for a few years
I had a wife, a strong wife, wringing her hands in desperation
I've been unemployed, less than nothing, no not now praise the lord.
The deal is launching your offspring, there's always things to deal with.

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PM. White men had to actually commit crimes to be harassed by the police,
FALSE

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PM. White men in power were able to rape women with impunity,
Whilst non white men in power were the epitome of virtuousness.

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PM. A black kid who steals $45 will spend years in prison, so let's be extra careful about how we address the problem when rich white people defraud people out of billions of dollars pick one of them to fall on their sword and has to spend a few months in house arrest. Let's try to hold back viciousness when minorities selling pot get life sentences and the white people directly responsible for the opioid epidemic have to pay less than 0.0001% of the money they made from it in fines and avoid any jail time at all.
I tell them not to steal but they still pass of pine nuts as carrots at the self serve checkout, it's in the genes I suppose.

Quote from: Davin on March 12, 2020, 02:54:08 PMCome on, won't some one think of the white men? They've had it so easy for so long, so let's be extra careful with their emotions.

It's not easy, we just make it look that way

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Kusa on March 13, 2020, 12:52:02 AM

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Mr. B on March 13, 2020, 01:31:30 AM

Not all white men are rich. The war on poverty is real and does not discriminate. Where I grew up was in a lower middle class neighborhood. My best friend lived in the projects just up the road. We're talking 99% white projects. I used to pick him up and drop him off to and from high school. Maybe once or twice a year there were mandatory police check points going into my neighborhood. Maybe two or three times a month there were mandatory police check points going into the projects.

[...]

White privilege?

Privilege doesn't mean that people who have it have easy lives and no cares in the world.

What it is...

If you are low income, no matter what race or gender you are, you get a set of shit to deal with just like every other person who is low income. But for some minority groups, they get a an extra set of shit to deal with.

That is true with all levels of income. And white men also get their tiny bag of extra shit as well, but compared to others, it's pretty small. That's privilege. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have privilege.

That's why white men crying about being treated unfairly because they're white men are irrationally overreacting.

Magdalena

Mr. B

Quote from: Davin on March 13, 2020, 04:57:40 PM

[...]

White privilege?

Privilege doesn't mean that people who have it have easy lives and no cares in the world.

What it is...

If you are low income, no matter what race or gender you are, you get a set of shit to deal with just like every other person who is low income. But for some minority groups, they get a an extra set of shit to deal with.

That is true with all levels of income. And white men also get their tiny bag of extra shit as well, but compared to others, it's pretty small. That's privilege. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have privilege.

That's why white men crying about being treated unfairly because they're white men are irrationally overreacting.

I don't think you understand poverty. That is to say I don't think you have ever experienced poverty yourself. It's not a political talking point when the cashier at Walmart huffs in disgust as you try to use your EBT card but the magnetic strip is worn out so they have to take precious time out of their busy day to manually input the 15 digit code into the card reader or even worse, if the strip doesn't work they lie and say you can't use the card to buy your groceries at all.

The fact that you argue impoverished white people still have more privilege than non white people is remarkable. The war on poverty is real, and it does not discriminate.

You may dismiss my quibble as a minor inconvenience for poor white people but would you be so bold as to proclaim that it is a minor inconvenience for poor people of color?

But I guess you are right, I should be grateful that I am white and just take my slightly smaller bag of shit and say thank you.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on March 13, 2020, 04:52:55 PM
Quote from: Kusa on March 13, 2020, 12:52:02 AM

You don't understand Kusa, Davin is on a mission from... Davin
Normal rules don't apply here. I'd post an animated pic of hippopotamus nodding and agreeing with my point, making  all that that didn't agree know what utter contempt I hold for them, but I don't have one. I know a priest mentality when I see one.

Bad Penny II

Our Barack Obama not entirely white, Hilary a woman offered up last time, Bernie this time dismissed as an old white man, there's never been a Jewish president, after all they've added, I could be wrong, has there? And he's dismissed, look away, there's no diversity.

The following is a list of Jewish political milestones in the United States.

First Jewish member of a colonial legislature (South Carolina): Francis Salvador (1775) [1]
    First Jewish soldier killed in the American Revolutionary War: Francis Salvador (1776)[2]
    First Jewish member of the U.S. Congress (U.S. House of Representatives): Lewis Charles Levin (1845) [3]
    First Jewish member of the United States Senate: David Levy Yulee (1845) [4]
    First Jewish mayor of a major American city (Iowa City, Iowa): Moses Bloom (1873) [5]
        Two years later, Bailey Gatzert became a mayor of Seattle (1875) [6]
    First elected Jewish governor of a U.S. state: Washington Bartlett (California) (1887) [7]
    First Jewish Cabinet member/Secretary of Commerce and Labor: Oscar Straus (1906) [8]
        Not including Judah P. Benjamin, who served in the Confederate cabinet as Secretary of State and War [9]
    First Jewish Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States: Louis Brandeis (1916) [10]
        President Millard Fillmore offered to appoint Judah P. Benjamin to the Supreme Court in 1853, but Benjamin declined.[9]
    First Jewish female member of the U.S. Congress/U.S. House of Representatives: Florence Prag Kahn (1925) [11]
    First Jewish Secretary of the Treasury: Henry Morgenthau Jr. (1934) [12]
    First person of Jewish ancestry to run for President of the United States on a major party ticket: Barry Goldwater (1964) (Goldwater's father was Jewish; Goldwater was raised Episcopalian) [13][14]
    First Jewish candidate to receive an electoral vote for Vice President: Tonie Nathan of the Libertarian Party, from a faithless elector (1972) [15]
    First Jewish Secretary of Defense: James R. Schlesinger (1973) [16]
    First Jewish Secretary of State: Henry Kissinger (1973) [17]
    First Jewish Attorney General: Edward H. Levi (1975) [18]
    First Jewish female mayor of a major American city (San Francisco): Dianne Feinstein (1977) [19]
    First Jewish female governor: Madeleine M. Kunin (1985) [20]
    First Jewish openly gay member of the U.S. Congress/U.S. House of Representatives: Barney Frank (took office 1981, disclosed homosexuality 1989) [21]
        Jared Polis was the first Jewish Congressman to be openly gay upon first election: (2009) [22]
    First senate election in which both major party candidates were Jewish. (1990 Minnesota U.S. Senate Election) (1990) [23]
    First independent Jewish member of the U.S. Congress/U.S. House of Representatives: Bernie Sanders (1991) [24]
    First Jewish female members of the United States Senate: Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein (1993) [19]
    First Jewish female Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1993) [25]
    First Presiding Officer (Speaker) Of the Nassau County New York Legislature: Bruce Blakeman (1996) [26]
    First Jewish female Cabinet member/United States Secretary of State: Madeleine Albright (1997) [27][28][29][30]
    First Jewish nominee for Vice President of the United States on a major party ticket, and first Jewish candidate to receive an electoral vote excluding faithless electors: Joe Lieberman (2000) [31]
    First Jewish elected official representing large constituency to serve past ninety years of age: David Cohen (2004) [32]
    First Jewish whip in the U.S. House of Representatives: Eric Cantor (2009) (also first Jewish party whip in either house) [33]
    First Jewish floor leader in the U.S. House of Representatives: Eric Cantor (2011) (also first Jewish floor leader and Majority Leader in either house) [33]
    First Jewish American to win a U.S. presidential primary: Bernie Sanders, New Hampshire primary, (2016)[34][35][36][37] (Barry Goldwater, the 1964 Republican presidential nominee, was the first winner of Jewish heritage, but was a Christian).[38]
    First Jewish American to receive an electoral vote for President: Bernie Sanders (2016, from a "faithless elector")[39]
    First Jewish floor leader in the U.S. Senate: Chuck Schumer (2017)[40]
    First Jewish American to win the popular vote in the first three primaries: Bernie Sanders, Iowa caucus (2020), New Hampshire primary (2020) and Nevada caucus (2020) [

Magdalena

Bad Penny II, I would love to stay here and talk with you, but I have to go plan your 2014 posts celebration. :grin:

Davin

Quote from: Mr. B on March 14, 2020, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: Davin on March 13, 2020, 04:57:40 PM

[...]

White privilege?

What it is...

I don't think you understand poverty. That is to say I don't think you have ever experienced poverty yourself.[...]
It's OK to think things that are wrong. You can always correct your thinking.

Quote from: Mr. BThe fact that you argue impoverished white people still have more privilege than non white people is remarkable. The war on poverty is real, and it does not discriminate.
Yes. 12 is more than 10 even if some values are in the billions. That you can't understand that is remarkable. You might try to address my specific points instead beating around the bush like this.

Quote from: Mr. BYou may dismiss my quibble as a minor inconvenience for poor white people but would you be so bold as to proclaim that it is a minor inconvenience for poor people of color?
I did not.

Edit: I did not dismiss your quibble and I would not say anything as irrational that poverty is a minor inconvenience for anyone. People of color, women, and white men in poverty are all in the same shit as each other. However, I'm not so blind to see that white men have it a little easier because they don't have to also deal with racism intentionally and unintentionally built into the system. Black men receive sentencing lengths 19% longer on average than white men convicted of similar offenses. That's not to say it isn't shitty for the white man convicted for something stupid like pot, but there is cold hard data that shows that a black men are treated worse. That is a white privilege.

Quote from: Mr. BBut I guess you are right, I should be grateful that I am white and just take my slightly smaller bag of shit and say thank you.
Why would you do that? That's an irrational conclusion to jump to based on what I said.