News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Epi. 7.2, Stormborn

Well, that was depressing.  So has Dany lost her fleet now?  Didn't look like there was much left.  And not sure if she still has the Dorn army if the Sands are either dead or captured.  Probably someone else will take over Dorn and might not care so much about Oberyn being dead, and even throw their support Cersei's way. 

On the plus side, at least Grey Worm and Missandei had a good time pre-parting. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Claireliontamer

It answered the question about whether Arya knew about Jon and Sansa or not.  Something tells me her trip there isn't going to be straightforward.

I usually have a strong stomach but I had to turn away when Sam was treating the greyscale.  Yuk.

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 23, 2017, 10:28:13 PM
I don't know that I agree suicide is always a reasoned decision, rather than a rash impulse, particularly in kids and teenagers who haven't really grasped what death is yet.
I'm buying this line of thought, by the way. It does seem thin to me, but then I'm not the kind of person who would for example find religion quite as easily as Tommen did, so I suppose he may have been that easily influenced and that impulsive. 

And an instant later it's all gone.  His mother has destroyed it and he's back looking at dragging thru a dismal life as her puppet again but now it's from the perspective of having briefly known freedom and love.  Given his youth, immaturity and generally passive nature I can see using the impetuous of grief for the single assertive act of freeing himself by going out the window.
Well... Yes. Gravity is a weird weapon choice for the situation, but those were different times... In another universe...

I might need to watch the next episode. I have me an urge to find out what The Dwarf™ is up to. Asmos approve of dwarves.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

I could not get past the fact that Grey Worm and Missandie didn't close the door before their little tryst.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 25, 2017, 01:15:38 AM
I could not get past the fact that Grey Worm and Missandie didn't close the door before their little tryst.

Obviously too overwhelmed by passion for such concerns.
Sandy

Asmodean

The Asmo has seen the episode now too.

He has NO intuition about such things, but Himthink Jon Snow and Dana... The dragon lady, however the hells you spell her. In any case, those two will get their asses nearly-married at some point, mark His intuition-about-such-matters-lacking words. Perhaps even fully-married.

But latest Gray Analysis;

Arya's wolf no longer likes her. Good, neither does The Asmo.

Poor Reek is still paying for being a dick (That was... Clever. Was that clever? In a sort-of obvious ways? The Asmo claims cleverness.) in the early seasons.

Sansa is not paying nearly enough for being an insufferable bitch around those same times, but then... As a character, she evolved well. Has some leadership-rlated whatchamacallems that her half-ish-brother-ish lacks.

The sea battle went to the Pirate™. Somewhat unexpected, and it was far too dark and suddenly bright and generally confusing, but good for him. The Asmo approves.

The Queen Xerxes will soon have her a daughter to murder slowly in front of a mother who murdered her own daughter. I predict that will happen.

Is Reek's bisexual sister alive, The Asmo wonders? He would like her to be alive and rescued for some undefinable reasons.

Did anything else important happen?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Watched the second episode yesterday so I'm all caught up. I didn't dare read these posts until then because this thread is dark and full of spoilers. :grin:

Random thoughts:

So, Stormborn begins with Dany Stormborn on Dragonstone, where she was born, during a storm. The scene felt a little meh because of the association with her name. Could have done without. Anyway after the group's brief conversation on what is to be done, Lady Olenna tells her to not be a "sheep", like the other lords, but instead be a "dragon" and conquer Westeros with fire. I think Lady Olenna might be a contender for the moniker "The Mad Lady", it just seems to me that she's so focused on burning Cersei alive that she stopped making sense. What's the point of destroying the realm you mean to rule? It would be a lot to rebuild. I just don't get it.

The realisation that Jon is a wight dawned on me while watching this episode, I dunno why. :shrug:
He's obviously not the same breed of zombie as those the Night King resurrects, maybe they're lacking something the Fire God gave Jon and Beric  Dondarrion (the guy brought back multiple times by Top-Knot), their "spirits" and memories maybe.

The Sand Snakes. Finally something was done to alleviate this show from the Sand Snakes! Their "Mama this" and "Mama that" talk prior to being attacked was cringe-worthy. 

Theon Greyjoy, such a broken man. He left his sister to her fate...or did he? Perhaps he only fled so that he could come up with a master plan to rescue her at a later point. :notsure:

That Euron Greyjoy is a mad dog. Is Yara going to be the "gift" he brings Cersei?

Littefinger down in the crypts with Jon, trying to wreak chaos again so that he can climb the ladder. I wonder what he's planning to do...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2017, 12:26:09 PM
The Asmo has seen the episode now too.

He has NO intuition about such things, but Himthink Jon Snow and Dana... The dragon lady, however the hells you spell her. In any case, those two will get their asses nearly-married at some point, mark His intuition-about-such-matters-lacking words. Perhaps even fully-married.

That could get complicated when Bran arrives with the information that Dany and Jon are aunt and nephew.  Altho, considering they're Targaryens, maybe not.

QuoteArya's wolf no longer likes her. Good, neither does The Asmo.

That made me sad, but I can see the wolf's point of view.  She has a pack of her own now, after all.

QuoteThe sea battle went to the Pirate™. Somewhat unexpected, and it was far too dark and suddenly bright and generally confusing, but good for him. The Asmo approves.

The Queen Xerxes will soon have her a daughter to murder slowly in front of a mother who murdered her own daughter. I predict that will happen.

Is Reek's bisexual sister alive, The Asmo wonders? He would like her to be alive and rescued for some undefinable reasons.

I had to watch that sea battle twice to figure out what was going on, and I'm still not sure I got everything.  Pretty sure two of Ellaria's daughters were killed, and she and the third daughter were taken captive along with Yara.  I expect they'll turn up in episode 3 as the gift Euron promised Cersei.

I'm unhappy about Yara, don't really care about the Sands.  I really can't figure Ellaria out anyway -- according to the daughter-chatter, she now accepts that Oberyn's death was his own fault (and it was) so why is she still so peeved at the Lannisters? 

QuoteDid anything else important happen?

Well, there was Sam Tarley starting to cure Jorah Mormont of greyscale.  It looks like this treatment will take some time, and won't the maesters notice that Jorah isn't dead and his cell isn't vacant?  And does this mean we're going to have to watch Sam get greyscale?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 25, 2017, 09:52:58 PM

The realisation that Jon is a wight dawned on me while watching this episode, I dunno why. :shrug:
He's obviously not the same breed of zombie as those the Night King resurrects, maybe they're lacking something the Fire God gave Jon and Beric  Dondarrion (the guy brought back multiple times by Top-Knot), their "spirits" and memories maybe.

That never dawned on me at all.  I thought Jon and Dondarrion were in a different category from the zombies.

QuoteThe Sand Snakes. Finally something was done to alleviate this show from the Sand Snakes! Their "Mama this" and "Mama that" talk prior to being attacked was cringe-worthy. 

Yeah, no love lost here either.  They're just mindlessly violent and sadistic, which I do realize a lot of characters on this show are but I never liked any of them either.  And Ellaria just strikes me as being too many sandwiches short of a picnic to be truly interesting.

QuoteTheon Greyjoy, such a broken man. He left his sister to her fate...or did he? Perhaps he only fled so that he could come up with a master plan to rescue her at a later point. :notsure:

Broken was exactly what I thought about him abandoning Yara too, but my girlfriend is sure he has a master plan for rescuing her.  I'll hope for the best, but Theon just does not seem a master plan type to me.

QuoteThat Euron Greyjoy is a mad dog. Is Yara going to be the "gift" he brings Cersei?

That's my assumption, along with the remaining Sands.  Perhaps Cersei will kill the Sands like the Asmo predicts, and delay killing Yara long enough for a rescue to happen?

QuoteLittefinger down in the crypts with Jon, trying to wreak chaos again so that he can climb the ladder. I wonder what he's planning to do...

I don't know but he practically broke into the happy dance when Jon handed the North over to Sansa in his absence.

Speaking of Jon's absence, I'm wondering what will happen when Davos and the Red Witch meet up again at Dragonstone.  Didn't he promise to kill her the next time he saw her?
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 11:19:43 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 25, 2017, 09:52:58 PM

That never dawned on me at all.  I thought Jon and Dondarrion were in a different category from the zombies.

They're fire wights.

I dug up the article (Time)(contains annoying autoplay video) I briefly scanned:

QuoteInterviewer: And Jon Snow, too, is drained by the experience of coming back from the dead on the show.

George Martin: Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he's a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he's got all these scars, he's becoming more and more physically hideous, because he's not a living human being anymore. His heart isn't beating, his blood isn't flowing in his veins, he's a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we're getting back to the whole fire and ice thing.

:chin:

QuoteThe Sand Snakes. Finally something was done to alleviate this show from the Sand Snakes! Their "Mama this" and "Mama that" talk prior to being attacked was cringe-worthy. 

Yeah, no love lost here either.  They're just mindlessly violent and sadistic, which I do realize a lot of characters on this show are but I never liked any of them either.  And Ellaria just strikes me as being too many sandwiches short of a picnic to be truly interesting.

Yeah, the whole killing Mycella thing went beyond power-grabbing and into plain cruelty. I lost interest in her as a character after that. She just seems like some one-dimensional, spiteful and vengeful psychowoman.

QuoteTheon Greyjoy, such a broken man. He left his sister to her fate...or did he? Perhaps he only fled so that he could come up with a master plan to rescue her at a later point. :notsure:

Broken was exactly what I thought about him abandoning Yara too, but my girlfriend is sure he has a master plan for rescuing her.  I'll hope for the best, but Theon just does not seem a master plan type to me.

He doesn't seem like a master planner but maybe that's to his advantage? He could become the best planner of them all if people didn't expect that sort of thing from him. I don't know, I'm just sitting here hoping he has some redeeming quality left in him. Fleeing like that purely because he is a coward just makes him...a coward.

QuoteThat Euron Greyjoy is a mad dog. Is Yara going to be the "gift" he brings Cersei?

That's my assumption, along with the remaining Sands.  Perhaps Cersei will kill the Sands like the Asmo predicts, and delay killing Yara long enough for a rescue to happen?

Yes, I'd bet that's going to happen as well.

QuoteLittlefinger down in the crypts with Jon, trying to wreak chaos again so that he can climb the ladder. I wonder what he's planning to do...

I don't know but he practically broke into the happy dance when Jon handed the North over to Sansa in his absence.

Speaking of Jon's absence, I'm wondering what will happen when Davos and the Red Witch meet up again at Dragonstone.  Didn't he promise to kill her the next time he saw her?

I don't think he'll get the opportunity to kill the Red Witch much less be allowed to, even if he made that promise. Or maybe he throws everything to the wind and kills her anyway. Either way, there's going to be a lot of tension.

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 11:05:44 PM

I had to watch that sea battle twice to figure out what was going on, and I'm still not sure I got everything.  Pretty sure two of Ellaria's daughters were killed, and she and the third daughter were taken captive along with Yara.  I expect they'll turn up in episode 3 as the gift Euron promised Cersei.
I thought Ellaria and her one captured daughter were the two women hanged from the bowsprit at the end.  :???:

And while Theons action in that battle was certainly not , on the surface, the most honourable thing to do he was in a no-win situation. "Those who fight, and run away..." and all that.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 26, 2017, 03:10:06 AM
I thought Ellaria and her one captured daughter were the two women hanged from the bowsprit at the end.  :???:

I couldn't figure out who those two were, but I did wonder why the camera was spending so much time on them.  If all four Sands are dead, that will certainly put an end to nearly half of Dany's invasion forces -- she's lost her armada, and the Dornish army.  I can't imagine whoever takes over ruling Dorn after the Sands will want to push on fighting their frankly silly personal vendetta.
Sandy

Asmodean

Well, there was Sam Tarley starting to cure Jorah Mormont of greyscale.  It looks like this treatment will take some time, and won't the maesters notice that Jorah isn't dead and his cell isn't vacant?  And does this mean we're going to have to watch Sam get greyscale?
Hmm... Methink that maybe Sam will lose an appendage to that, yes.  But also, he will probably succeed in um... I wouldn't call it "curing," but at least effectively treating Ser Whatshisname.

Also, I know Sam is supposed to be a fat person, but why does he shamble about like an old fat person? The Asmo shall figure it out eventually, see if He doethn't!  >:(

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 11:19:43 PM
Oh, he's a Z. A different kind from the Walker King's Zs, but still... I can see how Martin had to demand that as a price for reanimation. Otherwise, it would more or less have broken the game. "Dead but intact, you say?! No worries! Drag them priests over 'ere for a visit!"

I agree. While they did provide some sort of light-hearted whatsitcalled, totally boring.

That said, I don't think too many other characters have been mindlessly violent or sadistic. King Got-His-Ass-Poisoned was a pampered sociopath, and in his case, I do think that the description applies. Lord Bastard Ramsay, however, was... Intricately psychopathic, and smart/wise enough to know that he was good at it and to use it to his advantage. Ser Mountain... He just likes fighting and killing, I think. In a simple sort of way. Also, he's a Z now, so his ways must be excused, yes? Zs are a murderous bunch, on the whole. Ser Hound is more of a knight than most knights, despite his impolite and sometimes murderous ways... Who else is on the mentally disordered list of one sort or another? Queen Dragon Lady... That one still has a lot of learning to do before I find her likeable beyond the blondness of her hair. Queen Xerxes (I shall learn to spell her name one day. Shall too!) uses violence as a tool. The elderly Frey feller was deeply unpleasant, but same story - a path of least danger to his person may have sometimes involved some backstabbing baby-murdering ways, but I don't think there was much mindless cruelty to him, more... Him being a product of his time in his universe.

I agree, and yet I do think he ran to find a way to fight another day.

Here is to hoping! I like Yara in a sort of I-would-date-her kind of way.

Well, if he wants to rule the seven kingdoms with Sansa at his side... If there really is no more to his ambitions... (Grand as they are, in him, I find the scope slightly... Disappointing)

Still, at the end of the day, I think his loyalty to Sansa extends just as far as he can use her, so... Maybe there is more to it. Now, to avoid killing his ass until his endgame is certain.

...If she came North, he would. That's what he said.

I think there will be an insufferably long scene of "ooh, this is awkward" and that all participants will emerge disappointingly alive.  :(

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

And while Theons action in that battle was certainly not , on the surface, the most honourable thing to do he was in a no-win situation. "Those who fight, and run away..." and all that.

That's what I thought, although usually we get a much clearer picture of a major character death and the entire scene was extremely confusing.

It doesn't outwardly make as much sense to kill them as take them prisoner, however I suppose his "thing" is being batshit and somehow that's just worked for him up until now. Not sure why Cersi would want to be so closely aligned with that, unless she's planning to use him for a singular purpose then kill him but even then he doesn't seem reliable. I foresee him pulling a Custer in the next few episodes.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 26, 2017, 02:44:07 PM

That's what I thought, although usually we get a much clearer picture of a major character death and the entire scene was extremely confusing.

It doesn't outwardly make as much sense to kill them as take them prisoner, however I suppose his "thing" is being batshit and somehow that's just worked for him up until now. Not sure why Cersi would want to be so closely aligned with that, unless she's planning to use him for a singular purpose then kill him but even then he doesn't seem reliable. I foresee him pulling a Custer in the next few episodes.

Pulling a Custer. This expression is new to me. Is it in reference to the Battle of the Little Bighorn?