News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, could be. Well, since the episode was named "no one" it must be something big. I'm curious to see how it plays out.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 17, 2016, 12:14:29 AM
Yeah, could be. Well, since the episode was named "no one" it must be something big. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I caught a discussion of the episode with the show runners, and one of them said that Jaquen's "no one" remark meant that while Arya might not be ready to be a Faceless Man yet, she was no longer Arya Stark of Winterfell either. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 17, 2016, 12:36:04 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 17, 2016, 12:14:29 AM

I caught a discussion of the episode with the show runners, and one of them said that Jaquen's "no one" remark meant that while Arya might not be ready to be a Faceless Man yet, she was no longer Arya Stark of Winterfell either.

Interesting.  :chin:

Ali

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2016, 02:39:19 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 13, 2016, 09:49:22 PM
Arya has marginally made it onto the death list. Mostly because of the "just fucking no" factor.

Why Arya is one of my favourite characters, this episode has left me staggered with disbelief. Running through the streets like that with the kind of wound she had suffered, I think no amount of adrenaline would have allowed anybody to achieve that.

It's great that she killed The Waif though, I felt really sorry to see the actress who helped Arya dispatched in such a way. 

What was all that about Jaquen saying that Arya was finally no one? I don't get it. If they were as good at mind-reading and lie sensing as shown in previous episodes, then he would have sensed that Arya was definitely no letting go of who she is.  :scratch:

I never expected Arya to die. Reason being is that she is a plot line into her own and has been for quite some time. Arya doing all of that work to become a Faceless Man only to be killed by them would have been more realistic, but it wouldn't have moved the over all plot line forward. If she's going to die, it's going to be after she rejoins at least one other main character's plot line. Otherwise, that's a lot of screen time wasted that does nothing to advance the overarching plot. Major characters die all of the time in GoT but it's never pointless, it is either a catalyst to new events, or because their use to the plot has been fulfilled. Her dying in Bravos wouldn't have done either.

Pasta Chick

I'm surprised at the lack of death in this season. I think Martin has kinda written himself into a hole where he can't spare any major characters. So we're getting all these lame secondary characters and strangers being murdered.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on June 18, 2016, 01:08:56 AM
I'm surprised at the lack of death in this season. I think Martin has kinda written himself into a hole where he can't spare any major characters. So we're getting all these lame secondary characters and strangers being murdered.

Not only the lack of death but one major character was brought back (I'm still not forgiving that one!  >:( ) Jon Snow hasn't been doing much this Season now that Sansa has joined him and  is taking the reigns.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2016, 08:54:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2016, 02:39:19 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 13, 2016, 09:49:22 PM
Arya has marginally made it onto the death list. Mostly because of the "just fucking no" factor.

Why Arya is one of my favourite characters, this episode has left me staggered with disbelief. Running through the streets like that with the kind of wound she had suffered, I think no amount of adrenaline would have allowed anybody to achieve that.

It's great that she killed The Waif though, I felt really sorry to see the actress who helped Arya dispatched in such a way. 

What was all that about Jaquen saying that Arya was finally no one? I don't get it. If they were as good at mind-reading and lie sensing as shown in previous episodes, then he would have sensed that Arya was definitely no letting go of who she is.  :scratch:

I never expected Arya to die. Reason being is that she is a plot line into her own and has been for quite some time. Arya doing all of that work to become a Faceless Man only to be killed by them would have been more realistic, but it wouldn't have moved the over all plot line forward. If she's going to die, it's going to be after she rejoins at least one other main character's plot line. Otherwise, that's a lot of screen time wasted that does nothing to advance the overarching plot. Major characters die all of the time in GoT but it's never pointless, it is either a catalyst to new events, or because their use to the plot has been fulfilled. Her dying in Bravos wouldn't have done either.

You have a point. I didn't expect her to die either (and hoped she didnt), but the knife wound that was inflicted seemed like a fatal one.

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 18, 2016, 02:31:02 AM

Not only the lack of death but one major character was brought back (I'm still not forgiving that one!  >:( ) Jon Snow hasn't been doing much this Season now that Sansa has joined him and  is taking the reigns.
Ah, but his brooding is... Impressive.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on June 18, 2016, 05:38:02 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 18, 2016, 02:31:02 AM

Ah, but his brooding is... Impressive.

I don't have the patience for brooding characters.  >:(

They might as well confirm the R+L=J hypothesis already, since they brought him back. He doesn't have much of an arc now.

Sandra Craft

Speaking of pairing, I'm just going to leave this here --

Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Sandra Craft

Well, the Battle of the Bastards was certainly an extravaganza of good guys winning for once.  I wonder if this is the result of decreased GRRM presence? 

In any case, favorite parts included . . .

Grey Worm's double throat cutting (wonder how much the actor practiced that, or is that the sort of thing they do with CGI these days?).

Davos finding the pyre with Shireen's skull and the wooden stag he carved for her.  Oh, there will be hell to pay for this one and I can't wait to see it (and hopefully they'll wrap it up in the season finale rather than dragging it out to season 7).

That shot of Jon facing down the charging Bolton knights, and then their clash with his knights coming up suddenly from behind. 

The arrival of the Vale forces -- yes I know we were set up to expect that but it was still happy-making.  Even enjoyed Baelish's smug look, which I usually want to wipe off his face.

Wun Wun's death scene, tho his death upset me nearly as much as Hordor's.
Sandy

Asmodean

The latest episode was good.

...But.

The first epic battle was unconvincing. They invented torsion catapults or even trebuchets for naval use, but not surface-to-dragon ballistae? How cool would the battle have been with the dragons causing mayhem while dodging volleys of ballista bolts?!

In the aftermath, Denarys' subtly-intrigued expression when discussing a marriage alliance with Theon's sister almost got them both off the death list... Not quite, though.

The second battle was way too predictable with the de-facto lord of the Skydoor castle coming to the rescue. In my opinion, they have also killed the wrong Stark. The kid was pretty much a nobody story-wise. They could have built on that. Also, apparently, he managed to survive what..? 14 or so years in the alternate universe Dark Ages Europe without understanding the concept of running zigzag from arrows..? They could still have killed him, only a bit more convincingly, is all I'm saying.

The  Bolton spear wall was a high point. The jolly grey giant not having a club was a low (although he'd be a game ender with one) The battle except for that spear wall was utter bullshit.

Ramsay and Stark Jr. are obviously off The Asmolist.

I'm somewhat disappointed at hopw cheaply "the good guys" got off in both battles when it comes to losing major players. One kid who got literally a half hour of screen time across the seasons and one giant and the rest got off with barely a scratch..? Come on!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Jimmy

I have just started reading the first book in the series, so I made sure I went to the last post of this thread to avoid seeing any spoilers. I want to read the books before I watch the television series.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Ali

Haha Asmo, as I was watching last night I was yelling at the screen "ZIG AND ZAG, RICKON!!!! ZIG AND ZAAAAAAAGGGGG!!!"

STBMA pointed something out, which is that that scene was useful in illustrating how easily manipulated Jon Snow is, which makes him a liability to his army. Yes, I was relieved that his cavalry came and saved him, because like most people I have an emotional attachment to Jon Snow (even though he knows nothing) but on the whole I was a little pissed at him for forcing his army into that ill advised confrontation. As STBMA also pointed out, Ramsey had marked off the distance with his flayed men, so the plan was pretty obvious from the start (to STBMA, I was still too busy yelling for Rickon to zig and zag to concentrate on battle strategies. I would also be a shitty leader for an army.)

BCE, I was also sad when Wun Wun died. Not as sad as when Hodor died, but sad nonetheless.

I'm wondering what the renewed alliance between Sansa and Littlefinger will cost Sansa. I imagine that Littlefinger wants to marry her and finally become the Warden of the North.

I like the alliance between Danaerys and Theon's sister. I can never remember her name, but she is my favorite Greyjoy.