News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

This is serious. This is real. Mubarak Bala

Started by Tank, April 29, 2020, 07:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Tomorrow, Wednesday 28th April 2021, is the anniversary of the abduction of Mubarak Bala. If you call him friend you need to post about his predicament in public if it is safe for you to do so. He and his wife and son need your support.

Let's absolutely swamp Buhari and Ganduje's Twitter with messages of support for Mubarak. Please ask your friends to support this protest.
Buhari is @MBuhari
Ganduje is @GovUmarGanduje
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

My FB post today.

Day 581, 1 year and 216 days, of the Shame of Kano.
327 days since the federal court first ordered the release of Mubarak Bala.

Mubarak Bala the Hero of Humanism and President of the Humanist Society of Northern Nigeria is still alive and being held as a political prisoner in Kano state by Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje OFR.

The Quran was written by an atheist con-artist. Mohammed was a smart cookie who saw a gap in the religious market for an Arab centric faith. He exploited the desires and gullibility of the men around him. He told them what they wanted to hear and they lapped it up. He offered power, an Arab centric paradise and sex in the shape of 4 wives. His faith ticked all the boxes. And he paraded himself as the ultimate believer.

Who else have we seen who exploited the gullible like this? John Smith the founder of the Mormon faith. He was a convicted con-artist who realised he could say anything he wanted to in the name of religion. He realised that Americans wanted an American centric faith. So he piggy-backed on Christianity to sound credible. He told people that Jesus had travelled the world in the 'lost years' of the Bible and had come to America. He said he had seen the commandments, not on stone but gold tablets! These conveniently disappeared. People wanted to hear what he said so they lapped it up. Oh and don't forget you can have 4 wives too!

This is what religions do. They deceive the gullible, needy and oppressed. And because they are religions they are deemed 'untouchable' by sanity and the civil law. Well now we can see the myths, lies and scams that form religions. And we are in a position to spread these truths. This is all Mubarak did. He opened his eyes and told the truth.

#FreeMubarakBala #FreeMubarakBalaNow #ShameOfKano #ArrestHabuSani #EndBlasphemyLaws #WhereIsDadiyata
mubarak.bala.568847

Mr. B

It may or may not please you to know that he was officially charged in June of last year.

QuoteProsecutors in the northern state of Kano cited posts on Bala's popular Facebook account as evidence for charging him in June 2021 in secular court. He faces 10 charges, including alleged insults to Prophet Muhammad and "insulting the religion of Islam, its followers in Kano State, calculated to cause a breach of public peace," according to court documents provided to AP by Bala's legal team.
https://www.news-journal.com/nonbelievers-across-africa-risk-freedom-and-family-support/article_1f907076-7583-11ec-90e8-7b4f8ca5910e.html

Considering only 28% of inmates in Nigeria have been charged and convicted. I don't know if they do "Time Served" over there. The charge for blasphemy is two years. If he is convicted on all 10 charges does that mean 20 years?

The article mentioned a 13 year old boy convicted for disparaging language against allah.

Quotethere was widespread condemnation last year led by UNICEF and the head of the Auschwitz museum, after an Islamic court sentenced a 13-year-old boy to 10 years in prison for "disparaging language on Allah." The sentence was eventually overturned by the secular court.

They are not freeing him but at least the case is moving forward in a secular court.

Hope.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Tank

As a matter of interest he finally appeared in court and was charged in early Feb 2022. I have a PDF of the charge sheets. He will apply for bail in April. I am in touch with his legal team, wife and support team in Nigeria.

Tank

It's an interesting question about consecutive or concurrent sentencing policy. I'll find out.

Blasphemy is not a crime in Nigerian constitutional law. Some states in Nigeria operate Sharia law. However it only applies to Muslims and even Muslims have the right to have their case heard under constitutional law. Mubarak Bala renounced Islam in 2014 so can not be charged with blasphemy. So he is charged with variations of incitement which were a result of his blasphemous comments.

Corruption is rife in Nigeria and their legal system is no different. Part of the time taken has been because we won't pay bribes to court officials.

Mr. B

That is good news. I understand from the article I read that Amina has concerns about staying in Nigeria and raising a family there. That's a tough spot to be in. Do you know if he is planning on staying and fighting?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

Quote from: Tank on February 14, 2022, 08:33:14 PM
Corruption is rife in Nigeria and their legal system is no different.

No kidding. I have dozens of emails from widows of generals and various Nigerian nobility telling me I was to be the recipient of vast sums of money....for a small up front processing fee.

Tank

Quote from: Mr. B on February 14, 2022, 08:34:33 PM
That is good news. I understand from the article I read that Amina has concerns about staying in Nigeria and raising a family there. That's a tough spot to be in. Do you know if he is planning on staying and fighting?

Even if I did know I could not confirm his intentions.

Tank

Quote from: Mr. B on February 14, 2022, 08:39:29 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 14, 2022, 08:33:14 PM
Corruption is rife in Nigeria and their legal system is no different.

No kidding. I have dozens of emails from widows of generals and various Nigerian nobility telling me I was to be the recipient of vast sums of money....for a small up front processing fee.

The good old 419 scam. I get friend request daily from Nigerians. The first message from some is "I need help.... etc please send money!" Insta-block.

Tank

Today's Facebook post.

Day 895, 2 years and 165 days of the illegal detention of Mubarak Bala the President of the Humanist Society of Nigeria. He is being held as a political prisoner in Kano state by the Islamist extremist Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje OFR.

You can believe whatever you want, that is your right as a human being. You have every right to tell people what you believe. But the only person your belief controls is you.  You have absolutely and utterly no right whatsoever to force your belief onto others. You have absolutely and utterly no right whatsoever to force or expect other people to behave according to what you believe. You have absolutely and utterly no right whatsoever to pass laws based on your beliefs. You have absolutely and utterly no right whatsoever to silence criticism of your beliefs. Your beliefs rule you and nobody else.

#justiceformubarakbala #FreeMubarakBala #FreeMubarakBalaNow #rShameOfKano #ArrestHabuSani #EndBlasphemyLaws #WhereIsDadiyata

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on October 11, 2022, 08:03:41 AMYour beliefs rule you and nobody else.
Hm... If only. There are people in Russia, who believe that Ukraine is one of their provinces. I'm pretty sure their beliefs pretty much rule Europe at this time.

It's a might-makes-right kind of world. Failing might - money. Money can also make right. Failing that... Yeah, you pretty much end up with this. A legal slog where there should be none.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Old Seer

The latest from my peers. It's now only a matter of when it all turns loose and the people of the planet go at each other. It's expected 20% will survive. Like a forest fire it will move across the land.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Tank

Quote from: Old Seer on November 09, 2022, 05:34:07 AMThe latest from my peers. It's now only a matter of when it all turns loose and the people of the planet go at each other. It's expected 20% will survive. Like a forest fire it will move across the land.

What the fuck are you talking about?