News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Facebook dead!

Started by Tank, October 04, 2021, 06:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

The World if Facebook stays down forever!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Since I'm not on it, I don't miss it.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 04, 2021, 08:14:45 PM
Since I'm not on it, I don't miss it.

I'm quite liking the time off. And it's also Instagram and Whatsapp too. Must be a serious problem to take all three down worldwide.

Ecurb Noselrub

My oldest granddaughter is probably going nuts. She lives on Instagram.

Tank

It's almost 5 hours now so nothing trivial.

xSilverPhinx

It didn't die, it just took a short nap.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

My thoughts were that someone made a mistake.  Years ago when I was working at HP a friend of mine was setting up a (then) brand new Windows NT PC.  He was attempting to follow the Microsoft instructions and managed to crash the entire world wide HP network because he made an error in setting up DNS.  He had inadvertently made his PC the root domain controller and every time sysadmins tried to reset their DNS servers the fault would repopulate.  HP had to shut down their entire DNS network and then bring it up one server at a time in a coordinated process.  An investigation into the incident found that the instructions were ambiguous and that no blame pertained to my friend.

From what I have heard something similar seems to have happened to FB, an error in updating a DNS server.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

shoot that stuff is more common than i thought , then

back when i was a contract technical witer for IBM we used to send short macros to each other over what was an intracompany email system, before there was email

one december a contractor wrote something called CRISTMA.EXEC, which when you opened it and pressed enter would display a cute christmas message. but it also went into the recipients contacts and sent a copy of itself to everybody there. after a hour or so th etraffic with the exec was so great it crashed IBM europe, iirc

look wiki has it too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Tree_EXEC

a guy in my office got a cop[y but the jig was up by then and he deleted it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

I have seen very little from Facebook about this. But is worrying and interesting that such a massive set of networks all crashed. It demonstrates the potentially chaotic nature of large systems.

jumbojak

Losing Marketplace after they killed Craigslist would be a shame but, alas... I think we'd be better off without it.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz