News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

questions on Ny thing

Started by billy rubin, May 20, 2021, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on September 07, 2021, 03:36:42 AM
Some don't care if a man made a stupid mistake, and they won't judge him or label him by the law of men or the law of a god.
:shrug:

I don't care about the other somes and I don't feel constrained by this modern "don't judge" twaddle.  I'll apply a label if feel like it, maybe remove it later if the bastard behaves himself.  I really hate those smarmy songs, the ones that go something like this:

I really love you baby, I'm so so sorry
Please take me back baby, baby please
I'll never sleep with your sisters again
Is Sue coming home for Thanksgiving?
Baby I'm sorry, look at my Belushi face!
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

do morals exist apart from any human activity?

seer, you say morals must be disvovered, andt that right and wrong must be created.

if that is true, then morals do not deal with right and wrong.

what does the moral/immoral scale actually measure?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

I'll have to leave it here, otherwise this should be taken to the anteroom, as I see it. :-)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 07, 2021, 12:28:36 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 07, 2021, 03:36:42 AM
Some don't care if a man made a stupid mistake, and they won't judge him or label him by the law of men or the law of a god.
:shrug:

I don't care about the other somes and I don't feel constrained by this modern "don't judge" twaddle.  I'll apply a label if feel like it, maybe remove it later if the bastard behaves himself....

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Philosophically, morals is a subset of ethics. As it is normally used, ethics usually applies more in the realm of public life or business, whereas morals deals with individual human behavior. Non-ethical behavior also often has legal ramifications, whereas immoral behavior usually results in social consequences.  What is considered moral or ethical often differs from culture to culture, so it is basically impossible to come to a consensus among cultures (whether the culture be defined in social, religious or other terms).  Just as there will be no universal consensus about morals and ethics, so there will be no universal consensus about right and wrong. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 07, 2021, 06:24:57 PM
Philosophically, morals is a subset of ethics. As it is normally used, ethics usually applies more in the realm of public life or business, whereas morals deals with individual human behavior. Non-ethical behavior also often has legal ramifications, whereas immoral behavior usually results in social consequences.  What is considered moral or ethical often differs from culture to culture, so it is basically impossible to come to a consensus among cultures (whether the culture be defined in social, religious or other terms).  Just as there will be no universal consensus about morals and ethics, so there will be no universal consensus about right and wrong.

:boaterhat:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

why isnt the past tense of

be-lieve

be-left?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

im not sure about ethics. i have generally thrown up my hands and defined ethics as the application of morality, where morals are general principles and ethics are rules for using them.

but im listening.

billy rubin

are houseflies sensitive to sound, or to percussive waves in their substrates?

its late summer, and in a house with no screens we have flypaper everywhere that i replace every few days.

i notice that if there are several houseflies around me and i smack at one with a flyswatter, that thr little buggers disappear for two or three minutes.

do they notice that i am after them? or is it an illusion on my part because i am paying more attention?

enquiring minds want to know

billy rubin

why do i wake up in the morning with cats asleep on my chest?

i mean , i knoe ultimately the cause of cats, but my questionis why the chest thing

why do cats do that?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on October 23, 2021, 01:08:21 AM
why do i wake up in the morning with cats asleep on my chest?

i mean , i knoe ultimately the cause of cats, but my questionis why the chest thing

why do cats do that?

If you are insufficiently weak, constitutionally, they are waiting for you to die so that they can be first in line to consume the vermin that will come to consume you. Cats are evil, incarnate. YMMV

billy rubin

ive known catsthat wouldnt waitforthe vermin to start eating

billy rubin

i had a really puzzling question i couldnt figure out the answer for.

then i forgot what it was.

but look at this.

https://i.imgur.com/I5eEYnV.mp4

what does it take to be intelligent? is intelligence problem solving? creativity? the ability to invent philosophy?

we have big brains and use them to mess up the world we live in. but the cephalopods supposedly diverged from the rest of the mlluscs in the cambrian, like 600 million years ago, and theyve been through multiple continental break ups, meteroite strikes, transgressions and regressions of i dont know how many shallow seas, and theyre doing just fine in a harmonious balance. or were.

it seems like th ebest measure of intelligence is that th emore you have, the worse you are for everything.

Ecurb Noselrub

Once evolution started going down the intelligence path, destructive beings like humans was probably inevitable. But nature has even more destructive things to rid itself of intelligent beings. Fortunately, we are confined to a small planet in the corner of an ordinary galaxy, so our influence is limited.  Woe to the universe if we ever hook up with other intelligent beings. What calamity would ensue!!!

billy rubin

this brings up th eelon musk dilemma. ive mentioned it before, but hes all gung ho on colonizing the rest of the galaxy, so that human beings can expand across an infinite frontier, because . . .

because ?

none of these intergalactic gene spreaders ever adresses the question of  . . . because, why?

at least that i have noticed. its a giant cosmic manifest detsiny. for you people unfamiliar with weird american political history, "manifest destiny" was how 19th century united states people in the east looked at the north american continent. we had a frontier in the east, and mexico to the south, canada to the north, and afterwe threw the mexicans out of california, we had a fringe over there from mexico to oregon/washington that were entering official statehood. anyway it was considered the manifest destiny of white northern european americans to gradually seep over the whole north american continent, and all other political and ethnioc entities were to be swept aside. this is actually what happened, and oklahoma and arizona were the last of the contiguous territories to be admitted as states.

so th eelon crowd seems to have this same manifest destiny idea towards space, th eidea that its important for us to spread our DNA across light years of the universe. in spite of the fact that we obviously cant take care of what we already have here on earth, and that its our DNA-driven drive to splash more DNA everywhere thats driving the overpopulation thats fouling our household here and will do the same everywhere else too

do we really need a univers full of more elon musks? next time, we can launch billionaires into space from mars instead of texas? turn video game star wars into cool reality? make flash gordon and the emperor ming the future of everything we re involved in?

why?

i dont understand the idea that this is even a useful thing, much less at all likely.