News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why God?

Started by Tank, September 04, 2011, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on June 13, 2020, 05:45:49 PM

I remember the day I was "saved". I was in high school, a private Christian school although I don't remember which year. But I remember the headmaster / preacher / owner of the school praying with me to allow Jesus into my heart. I felt love.

lol

my number two son was saved a while back, when he was about seven. he came home from christian education camp (my wife was running it at the meetinghouse) and the other kids were howling. he was trying to look very inconspicuous.

what's up?

ask starbuck! ask starbuck!

starbuck, what are they laughing at?

nuttin

tell him! tell him!

starbuck didn't want to. eventually, looking down at his feet, in a very small voice, he said

. . . i asked jesus into my heart.

why did you do that?

they were giving away bibles, and i wanted one.

quakers don't do that sort of thing much, even the theist ones, so starbuck is th eonly one of my kids who is officially saved

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Has he ever renounced his savior?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

to be honest, i havent asked him. he s 18 now, and i believe he is currently agnostic

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Here are a few words about another kind of pandemic. Once an inconsequential belief pattern for the less sophisticated, The matter has become much more than the harmless babbling of a few insecure people.

https://religionnews.com/2020/08/17/qanon-the-alternative-religion-thats-coming-to-your-church/

Randy

I'd dare say that Qanon has become something to worry about. I've only recently heard about them but their message infiltrates a lot of people. Heck, I don't even think they have a message but a bunch of conspiracy theories. I don't even know why they are called theories, they are more like hypotheses.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on August 31, 2020, 12:23:24 AM
I'd dare say that Qanon has become something to worry about. I've only recently heard about them but their message infiltrates a lot of people. Heck, I don't even think they have a message but a bunch of conspiracy theories. I don't even know why they are called theories, they are more like hypotheses.

I don't think the average person has a single clue what a hypotheses is, much less the difference between it and a theory.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 31, 2020, 04:15:36 AM
Quote from: Randy on August 31, 2020, 12:23:24 AM

I don't think the average person has a single clue what a hypotheses is, much less the difference between it and a theory.
You're right. It's just that the lack of distinction seems to say that a theory is just a guess.  It's amazing how people will pick up on conspiracy theories as fact but the theory of evolution is just a guess in their minds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on August 31, 2020, 02:39:45 PM
It's amazing how people will pick up on conspiracy theories as fact but the theory of evolution is just a guess in their minds.

It makes me weep.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Some of the conspiracy theories are pitifully absurd.  One that sticks in my mind is the one about Mayfair furniture.  Mayfair advertises numerous cabinets.  Each of them has some kind of name. The conspiracy people say that the names are code words that apply to a certain kind of child. The child is to be sold and will have their blood drained and used as a vaccine for use by members of the cabal.

It is said that the word cabal  came from a committee of five ministers under Charles II.  The committee surnames happen to begin with the letters  C,A,B,A,L. 

Randy

And people really believes this tripe? I knew that some conspiracy theories were way out there but this one takes the cake.

Bluenose

Quote from: Randy on September 01, 2020, 04:39:04 PM
And people really believes this tripe? I knew that some conspiracy theories were way out there but this one takes the cake.

It's no more stupid than believing 5G causes Covid 19.  But then the idiots will believe almost anything it seems...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on September 02, 2020, 01:45:51 AM

It's no more stupid than believing 5G causes Covid 19.  But then the idiots will believe almost anything it seems...

Drop bears?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on September 02, 2020, 08:16:45 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on September 02, 2020, 01:45:51 AM

Drop bears?

Yeah, but Drop Bears are REAL!!! ::)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Randy

I found the read intriguing. Well worth looking at.