News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Outside Thread

Started by jumbojak, July 17, 2021, 04:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

This is a place for any and all outdoor adventures. Yesterday Liz and I went to a trail system in New Kent. Fairly well maintained trails with a mix of bike friendly and pedestrian only paths. The light was too low for any photos of crawdad holes or frogs and the squirrels were few and far between. Not a bad spot. One of these days I'm going back to find the graveyard in the far reaches of the trails.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

The outdoors, contains far too many humans for my liking.

Icarus

That is a wondrous place JJ.  I envy your outings at places like that. 

jumbojak

Quote from: No one on July 17, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
The outdoors, contains far too many humans for my liking.

You'd need a mirror to see anybody out there unless you brought them.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Icarus on July 18, 2021, 03:28:05 AM
That is a wondrous place JJ.  I envy your outings at places like that.

I think my next trip will be to Ragged Island. I need to figure out how to get my canoe close enough to reach the creeks. Later this fall I may try to chase some ducks there if my brother is recovered enough.

jumbojak

Something has been wrong with my pond for the last month. The water went from a deep, clear black to a soupy green almost overnight. With that the fish stopped biting. No bass, no bluegill, nothing. I went several times and threw everything from crankbaits to topwater poppers and didn't even get a bite.

The other day I went down now lark during a storm and decided to try my hand at skipping bait. Much to my surprise as soon as I tossed a soft lizard out this fellow decided it looked like a tasty snack.

Apparently they've taken a bit of time to adjust to the changes but I caught three more in twenty minutes. By then I was almost out of light and my plastic lizard was so mangled it wouldn't stay on the hook.

billy rubin

thats odd

wby would the algae change their diet preferences

something is different

they might eat anything during a storm, as anything might get washed in. do tbey still take the lizard without the storm?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

I don't think it changed their diet, just their ability to find food until they had adjusted to the reduced visibility. Bass and bluegill are visual ambush predators. I suspect that such a sudden shift would change things up for them. It was probably nice for the minnows while it lasted.

billy rubin

outside the kitchen porch. cant remember the flower. my wife is the plant prson, but she caught a bumble bee worker on it.

ohio is a place where the culture is into acres of closely mown grass surrounding the houses. no one ever uses the space, its just a showcase for lawn. people consider mowing a recreational activity.

our place is overgrown with weeds and purposely planted insectories. from the road, it looks like a third world jungle slum, but up close we're a riot of hummingbirds, pollinators, and native insects. my son has a pet mantid in front of his door that he watches. currently a mud dauber wasp is busy building a mudnest on the kitchen wall by the door that she will stuff full of spiders or caterpillars before laying an egg.

i suppose we're the scorn of the neighbors, but we have butterfiles and they dont

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

You should give your kids a book called Following the Wild Bees by Thomas Seeley. If you have a pollinator plantation I imagine your family would be interested in how far the bees are coming to reach The Oasis.

billy rubin

bee hunting is mostly a lost art. nobody does it these days because you can buy bees and don't have to locate a bee tree. but its still really useful to be able to figure out where your bees are going. ill see about getting a copy of seley.

the farthest ive ever seen was severak miles. i had bees in a safflower field-- nasty things, safflower-- and one afternoon they all started bringing in bright yellow pollen, different from the burnt orange stuff the safflower  generated. i could see a patch of yellow star thistle about two miles to the northwest (california is flat around there) and so i drove the truck over to look, and sure enough, my bees were hitting them and hauling it back. around here there aren't many wild hives in the woods, and the four or five i have behind the warehouse have been mostly left to their own devices since i split them in the spring.

i'll see what i can do to build them up for the winter here and then we'll see what survives the snow.

billy rubin

i have just ordered seeleys book, to arrive in two days, while i am gone hauling steel to the factories of america

jumbojak

I really need to set up my new trail cam. There's a travel corridor I need eyes on for the fall but I've been dealing with a series of migraines this week. I may go in the morning but Monday evening is more likely. My injured brother has a camera he said I can use so I may throw his up once I have a bit of data.

I also want to plant some wildflowers. I've always enjoyed clearings with a good spread but think this fall might be the year. There's a section by the mill swamp that would be perfect.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on August 01, 2021, 02:42:22 AM
I really need to set up my new trail cam. There's a travel corridor I need eyes on for the fall but I've been dealing with a series of migraines this week. I may go in the morning but Monday evening is more likely. My injured brother has a camera he said I can use so I may throw his up once I have a bit of data.

I also want to plant some wildflowers. I've always enjoyed clearings with a good spread but think this fall might be the year. There's a section by the mill swamp that would be perfect.

Which vaccine did you get? I don't remember which one my youngest brother got, atm (or exactly when), but he's been having migraines lately. Not having any teeth, and stenosis from chemo/radiation/surgery for laryngeal cancer certainly hasn't helped his situation.

As far as "outside" goes, he came by for a surprise visit last Thursday, and we sat out on the front porch. Had a nice chat. It's been a couple of years since we've seen each other, and when I looked through the peephole in the front door, I didn't even recognize him, at first. Cancer has ruined him, I will say. Tobacco is a scourge on humanity. :(

jumbojak

Beating around today I found the last of the trumpet vine flowers.