News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Santorini

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 12, 2021, 11:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Papasito the guy is obviously talented.  Shredding is not the magnum opus of music. It is, in my snootiest mood, a display of loosely structured noise.  I quietly refer to it as headache music.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on May 23, 2021, 04:09:18 AM
Papasito the guy is obviously talented.  Shredding is not the magnum opus of music. It is, in my snootiest mood, a display of loosely structured noise.  I quietly refer to it as headache music.

"headache music."
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on May 23, 2021, 04:09:18 AM

I'm sorry Icarus, seriously I am...I didn't realize you suffered so. You know it is often said that music in a universal language, why it even bridges different species.

Did you know they found that dogs in kennels slept the most, and showed less stress when they listened to all types of classical music, indicating that this type of music helped them relax. However. The dogs, like you had the opposite reaction to metal or hardcore music, which provoked increased body shaking, a sign of nervousness.

This comes from a 2012 study published in the Journal of Veterinary Behavior. Strangely enough these results are consistent with human studies, the researchers noted, which have suggested that music can reduce agitation, promote sleep, improve mood, and lower stress and anxiety.

The study also found that for most animals, human music falls into a grating, unrecognizable category, with vocal ranges and heart rates very different from humans, they simply aren't wired to enjoy songs that are tailored for human ears. Animals generally respond to human music with "a total lack of interest."

Anyway, not all music is enjoyed by everyone...

I often meditate, or practice yoga to Anugama...sometimes I listen to it while working (Especially this last year, as I've had to work remotely)

Peace

https://youtu.be/XXY_X3MYWpU

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Santorini is an island. They have music there.

Icarus

Papacito, Thank you for your sympathy.  Actually, I do not suffer.  I simply avoid, or turn off, sounds that are unpleasant for me. 

Rock and its family of sounds is characterized by loud percussion that overwhelms the melody, when or if if there is a melody. 

I am perfectly happy to live and let live in terms of music or the sounds that others enjoy..  I mean what the hell?  Tastes vary. We do have chocolate, vanilla, and tuti fruity with Ice cream and many other things. 

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on May 25, 2021, 02:52:40 AM
Papacito, Thank you for your sympathy.  Actually, I do not suffer.  I simply avoid, or turn off, sounds that are unpleasant for me. 

Rock and its family of sounds is characterized by loud percussion that overwhelms the melody, when or if if there is a melody. 

I am perfectly happy to live and let live in terms of music or the sounds that others enjoy..  I mean what the hell?  Tastes vary. We do have chocolate, vanilla, and tuti fruity with Ice cream and many other things.

You're welcome Icarus 8)

I was having some fun with my reply to you, but for me personally the music I listen to is tied very closely to both my mood, and also what I'm doing while listening.

I'm on a computer all day for work, and I have music playing in the background most of the day, but it has to be a certain type of music. Usually it has to be something instrumental, with no vocals less I get distracted and start singing along, so my music while working ranges from classical, jazz, certain electronic ambient sounds to the meditative music I posted in my earlier thread.
Certainly if you are on a road trip the music you play is extremely important, especially if its a beautiful, sunny day and you have your windows rolled down while cruising along....I'd probably pick the Allman Brother's over some Beethoven in this situation.
Same goes for when I'm reading, I enjoy having music in the background, but I don't want it interfering or distracting me while I'll read. So I can listen to both instrumental, like Ottmar Liebert, or Anna Vidovich, to perhaps somewhat quieter vocals, perhaps Bossa Nova or some Sade, Norah Jones.
I cook a lot, so when I'm in the kitchen I want a catchy beat, something fun, so anything goes,...from Bebe to Frank Sinatra.
Anything I can sing along with and maybe shake the hips!

To be honest, some of the music from my youth I no longer listen to. First concert I ever went to here in Detroit was Kiss, with Cheap Trick. I was about 12-13 years old at the time, and both the performance and sounds of these two groups at that time in my life were invigorating and fun, but you won't find me listening to either groups anymore. Once in a while I be in the car flipping through the radio stations, and I'll come across one of these olds songs from my youth, and I'll go ahead and tune in,...usually amazed with myself that I can still remember not only the words of the song, but even the notes and breaks.

Same goes for old Joe Santriani. When I originally posted my reply above, I went ahead and listen to a few of his better know tracks on YouTube, again the memories came flooding back of concerts, and small venue shows, and hanging around with my friends, but I haven't listened to him in some time. (Butt once in a while we got to shred!!! :rimshot:)

Music is magical isn't it? 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on May 25, 2021, 01:15:12 PM
Music is magical isn't it? 8)

Possibly magical, inexplicable anyway, although we go on explicking about it anyway.
Can you be passionately pleased by "good" sounds without being passionately displeased by "bad"?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

OK, in an effort to get this back on track, I've linked a song about Santorini below.

WARNING - once you've seen this you can't unsee it or unhear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZWSfKJ--8

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 25, 2021, 10:20:54 PM

WARNING - once you've seen this you can't unsee it or unhear it.

:rofl:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames