News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Kent Hovind of Turkey

Started by Squid, September 29, 2008, 10:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLeo

Using the popular jargon: "Adnan Oktar aka Harun Yahya is a mad man" (hopitalized and proven psychologically ill with several medical reports). He has no scientific background and he's the leader of a religious sect. Anything he says cannot be taken seriously. It is unfortunate that people are even madder to believe in his nonsensical mumblings.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

Recusant

Hadn't been following the progress of this malignant carbuncle, but he got himself in the headlines recently. He's apparently going to be a guest of the Turkish government for some time.

"Turkish Creationist Adnan Oktar sentenced to 8,658 years in prison" | Only Sky

QuoteAdnan Oktar, a Creationist preacher in Turkey, has been sentenced to 8,658 years in prison for a variety of crimes including running a criminal organization, sexual abuse, torture, and abduction. It comes after he was previously sentenced to over 1,075 years in prison, only to have that verdict overturned by an appellate court. The more recent jaw-dropping sentence came in a retrial.

[. . .]

Oktar ... wrote the "textbook" The Atlas of Creation (under the pen name "Harun Yahya"). He had been very effective in convincing people to ditch evolution. In 2017, Turkey removed evolution from the nation's science classes entirely.

Beyond that, however, Oktar was also running a cult, surrounding himself with an army of virtually identical women and calling himself a feminist, a move that angered Islamic traditionalists. He said he had over 1,000 girlfriends because there was an "overflowing of love in my heart for women"... and also because he was "extraordinarily potent."

[. . .]

QuoteOn Wednesday [Nov. 16], judges had their final say on the fate of 215 defendants, including 72 in detention, dashing the hopes of Oktar who was confident that he would be released, according to his statements in earlier hearings. This time, Oktar was sentenced to 891 years in prison on charges of running a criminal organization, sexual abuse, denial of education rights, torture, abduction and illegal storage of personal data.

Oktar, in total, was sentenced to 8,658 years as the court reasoned that he should be sentenced for crimes committed by his disciples as the head of the cult.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

It couldn't happen to a nicer man :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

...So he won't be a problem for another decamillennium or so. THEN what?!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It was good to see him sent down!!!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

LinuxGal

Quote from: karadan on January 18, 2011, 04:58:47 PMIsn't every fossil an intermediate fossil simply because almost all life forms past and present are in a permanent state of evolution?

Human fossils are not intermediate, what comes after us are terminators.

Dark Lightning

Asmodean

Quote from: LinuxGal on January 02, 2023, 05:04:29 PMHuman fossils are not intermediate, what comes after us are terminators.
:smilenod: We will probably either unleash the AI - or become/merge with it.

If there were to be life beyond death, I think it would speak "binary."
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: LinuxGal on January 02, 2023, 05:04:29 PM
Quote from: karadan on January 18, 2011, 04:58:47 PMIsn't every fossil an intermediate fossil simply because almost all life forms past and present are in a permanent state of evolution?

Human fossils are not intermediate, what comes after us are terminators.

Quite possible. Welcome aboard :)

Asmodean

Come to think iof it, my fossils are not transitional in a forward direction because no kids... Also, not quite fossilised yet, but mostly no kids. They can, however, be transitional in a backwards direction as in that sense, I may be an evolution of my parents. Or a dead end, which... Let's face it. 8)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.