Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i love maine.

no moose yet but had a bear cub cross the road infront of b e

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

I communicate with a woman from Iran on Telegram. She tells me that having pets is not a part of Iranian culture. I informed her that in America, pets become part of the family. And, that dogs demonstrate emotions like joy, sadness and shame (when they poop on the floor and their humans confront them). The idea that dogs experience shame saddened her. She felt that humans had infected dogs with their negative emotions. I pointed out that the natural environment of animals is quite violent, and a human-pet relationship can be beneficial for both. I also informed her that dogs specifically look in the eyes of humans and can sometimes figure out their intentions. This surprised her.

Anyway, I wanted to ask people if they have ever seen a dog exhibit "shame".  I have - they hang their head, slink off, avert their eyes, etc. It is when they violate some "rule", such as "don't poop/pee on the floor, don't tear up the couch", etc.  Thoughts?

Icarus

I have been a dedicated dog person for many decades.  I have seen them express shame and many other emotional traits.

Just today i ran across a picture of my dog Sailor of 25 years ago.  He was my constant companion and my best friend,  We certainly had a mutual emotional attachment.  Sailor is gone and the picture made me tearful.   

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on July 18, 2021, 03:25:52 AM
I have been a dedicated dog person for many decades.  I have seen them express shame and many other emotional traits.

Just today i ran across a picture of my dog Sailor of 25 years ago.  He was my constant companion and my best friend,  We certainly had a mutual emotional attachment.  Sailor is gone and the picture made me tearful.   

Yes, the thought of some dogs I've had brings a similar reaction. I specifically remember Tex, Sugar, and Mugsy as real companions.

Dark Lightning

Dogs most certainly have and exhibit emotions. Our (Prince Charles Cavalier) spaniel mix has many examples. Our favorite is when she's pacing around, I go to the back door and ask if she wants to go outside. She will turn her head away and drop it, and won't go out. It's just a check on my part, because she was kept indoors by her previous owners and only allowed out when nature called. At least, that's what we think. I don't force her to go out, as it's obvious she doesn't need to go. When we first got her, she wouldn't go outside at all without someone taking her out, and wouldn't use the dog door.

hermes2015

Lulu, my parrot, looks me in the eye as well to figure out what's up with me. She expresses regret by kissing me when she nips me accidentally when we're playing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

mud dauber!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTXfW6NiWE

we have open doors and windows, no screens, so things are always invading the house. the mud daubers of the family sphecidae have been favourites of mine all my life. the various poter wasps will build tuvbes, like these, or big clumps of mud, or sometimes exquisite little perfect amphorae. then they stuff em full of paralyzed arthropods and lay an egg on em and seal em up.

i never knew whether they could sting until i finally picked one up and kept jabbing her against my arm to see. finally after about 20 jabs she stung stung me, but it was obviously not a hjigh priority of her behavioural regimine.

wonderful things. they congregate on teh edges of mudholes to pack up little balls of building materials, and the next time you see them theyre constructing apartments on your walls

billy rubin

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 18, 2021, 04:33:31 AM
Lulu, my parrot, looks me in the eye as well to figure out what's up with me. She expresses regret by kissing me when she nips me accidentally when we're playing.

i have always loved parrots, but i have enoughl long term commitments now.  bht they are fascinating animals

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on August 02, 2021, 12:46:13 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 18, 2021, 04:33:31 AM

i have always loved parrots, but i have enoughl long term commitments now.  bht they are fascinating animals

Their intelligence can be a problem, in that ones like mine need stimulation all the time. She is always curious to know what's going on and has learnt to open the lower kitchen cabinets to play inside and destroy any cardboard boxes she can find. Last week, when the technician was here to replace the filter in the water supply pipe to the ice maker of my fridge, she was following him around like a little dog to see what he was doing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i wonder why they are so smart. typically birds have sacrificed much of the space in their brain to make room for vision and motor control, so lots of their behaviours are fairly rigid and stereotyped. but parrots are different.

there used to be a parakeet in the continental united stares but it was killed ofg