News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Tired of being negative

Started by Jose AR, December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 09:13:44 PMMaybe, just maybe it has more to do with the louder-than-HAF Atheists...but then again one need only look to a certain image thread on HAF which speaks volumes to the theist on HAF also.

I'm not familiar with this.  Can you point me to it?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 04, 2012, 01:06:27 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 09:13:44 PMMaybe, just maybe it has more to do with the louder-than-HAF Atheists...but then again one need only look to a certain image thread on HAF which speaks volumes to the theist on HAF also.

Oh, I think he means the atheist image dump in laid back lounge.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 04, 2012, 05:20:44 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 04, 2012, 01:06:27 AM

Oh, I think he means the atheist image dump in laid back lounge.
Yes, apparently finding religious things funny is worse than people hoping the worst things happen to you for all eternity.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 02:40:15 PM
Yes, apparently finding religious things funny is worse than people hoping the worst things happen to you for all eternity.

Some of those things I find funny too.  However if the point evades you, it's ok.

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Some of those things I find funny too.  However if the point evades you, it's ok.
Or... you could just clearly express the point you intended to make. Some of us do not like to make leaps into what another person means and would rather the person just say what they mean. Or maybe that's just me.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

No need to needle people.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 04:25:28 PM

Or... you could just clearly express the point you intended to make. Some of us do not like to make leaps into what another person means and would rather the person just say what they mean. Or maybe that's just me.

I didn't think it would be so difficult to get the point.  The image thread is one example of the respect the average Atheist has for the Christian beliefs.  Some things that are of importance to one person which may be held in reverence, others have no issue in stomping on.  It's bullying at the core.  No difference.  We think that if we make fun of something, it brings our own thinking to a higher position...and this is in all things.  I'm guilty of doing the same in other areas of life.  (so while I'm speaking to "you", I also am speaking to myself) It's no different.

It's similar to being home invaded by your neighbors...and them not hiding that they have such low respect for you that they flaunt the fact in your face.  They have a garage sale to sell your stuff from across the street.  They don't sell your family photo albums, but instead, take each photo out and burn them one by one as they giggle.  What harm are they doing anyway?  Just burning paper really.  It is of no REAL consequence.  But those are pictures of family that you hold near and dear.  It doesn't matter if it is irrational to feel sad over a picture of your loved ones being burned, it's the blatent disrespect your neighbors have for you.  Then the next day your neighbors act as though nothing has happened.  "Hi neighbor..." 

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 05:10:56 PM

I didn't think it would be so difficult to get the point.  The image thread is one example of the respect the average Atheist has for the Christian beliefs.  Some things that are of importance to one person which may be held in reverence, others have no issue in stomping on.
Because beliefs expressed publicly can be responded to publicly. There is no reason to respect something merely because a person holds it as a belief. All things posted in the image section are publicly expressed things.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtIt's bullying at the core.  No difference.  We think that if we make fun of something, it brings our own thinking to a higher position...and this is in all things.
I don't think that at all, I think that making fun of something makes me laugh, that is it, I just think it's funny.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtI'm guilty of doing the same in other areas of life.  (so while I'm speaking to "you", I also am speaking to myself) It's no different.
I don't do that.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtIt's similar to being home invaded by your neighbors...and them not hiding that they have such low respect for you that they flaunt the fact in your face.  They have a garage sale to sell your stuff from across the street.  They don't sell your family photo albums, but instead, take each photo out and burn them one by one as they giggle.  What harm are they doing anyway?  Just burning paper really.  It is of no REAL consequence.  But those are pictures of family that you hold near and dear.  It doesn't matter if it is irrational to feel sad over a picture of your loved ones being burned, it's the blatent disrespect your neighbors have for you.  Then the next day your neighbors act as though nothing has happened.  "Hi neighbor..."
I'm sorry... what?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 05:45:04 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 05:10:56 PM

I didn't think it would be so difficult to get the point.  The image thread is one example of the respect the average Atheist has for the Christian beliefs.  Some things that are of importance to one person which may be held in reverence, others have no issue in stomping on.
Because beliefs expressed publicly can be responded to publicly. There is no reason to respect something merely because a person holds it as a belief. All things posted in the image section are publicly expressed things.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtIt's bullying at the core.  No difference.  We think that if we make fun of something, it brings our own thinking to a higher position...and this is in all things.
I don't think that at all, I think that making fun of something makes me laugh, that is it, I just think it's funny.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtI'm guilty of doing the same in other areas of life.  (so while I'm speaking to "you", I also am speaking to myself) It's no different.
I don't do that.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtIt's similar to being home invaded by your neighbors...and them not hiding that they have such low respect for you that they flaunt the fact in your face.  They have a garage sale to sell your stuff from across the street.  They don't sell your family photo albums, but instead, take each photo out and burn them one by one as they giggle.  What harm are they doing anyway?  Just burning paper really.  It is of no REAL consequence.  But those are pictures of family that you hold near and dear.  It doesn't matter if it is irrational to feel sad over a picture of your loved ones being burned, it's the blatent disrespect your neighbors have for you.  Then the next day your neighbors act as though nothing has happened.  "Hi neighbor..."
I'm sorry... what?

Even after an explanation?  Never mind.

Ali

If people need to call me anything (or I need to call myself anything) I prefer Ali.  Alissa if you want to be formal or are my mom.

Beyond that, I think I like the term freethinker best of all, because I hate it when people try to tell other non-believers what is acceptable to think or do.  Some atheists (like my husband, sometimes) think that atheists shouldn't celebrate religious holidays or hold out reservations on whether or not ghosts exist, or whatever, trying to define what is acceptable dogma for a "real" atheist.  My response is a cheerful "Shove it.  The great thing about being an atheist is that I can think/celebrate/feel whatever makes sense to me."  

I find it interesting that freethinker is the term that most religious folks I have spoken to find the most objectionable.  

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 05:48:57 PMEven after an explanation?  Never mind.

Can you at least explain how laughing at/making fun of something someone expresses publicly is similar to someone breaking into a private residence and destroying personal property?

Whitney

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 06:13:56 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 05:48:57 PMEven after an explanation?  Never mind.

Can you at least explain how laughing at/making fun of something someone expresses publicly is similar to someone breaking into a private residence and destroying personal property?

It's not the same...the only way a connection could be drawn is if we were a christian forum.

This forum has a civility rule, yes...but that doesn't mean making everyone bite their tongue because someone might be offended nor does it mean having to respect a belief system.  It's possible to be civil towards someone and even think they are a nice person without having to hold any respect for their beliefs (aside from respecting their right to have said beliefs).

AnimatedDirt

I don't know what nationality you hold dear, but let me try a different route.  Take your flag.  Mine is the U.S. flag.  Let's say a person or group of persons is dragging it though mud, stomping on it, pissing on it, burning it...use your imagination on all the different ways one can defile a piece of cloth to insult the one(s) that hold that cloth/flag dear.  Is there anything wrong with this?  It is just cloth afterall.  Why would such actions of one group cause another grief over a cloth?  What worth is there in defending or even feeling the need TO defend a piece of cloth?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Whitney on January 04, 2012, 06:19:32 PM
It's not the same...the only way a connection could be drawn is if we were a christian forum.

This forum has a civility rule, yes...but that doesn't mean making everyone bite their tongue because someone might be offended nor does it mean having to respect a belief system.  It's possible to be civil towards someone and even think they are a nice person without having to hold any respect for their beliefs (aside from respecting their right to have said beliefs).

No, I don't mean this at all.  I refer you to the flag analogy.  I don't wish for anyone to bite their tongue because another might be offended.  My point is simply that the reason there is a stereotype of angry Atheist (I think was the original question) is that the typical Atheist, as evidenced IMHO by our Image thread here at HAF, is that the Atheist has NO respect for another persons beliefs.

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 03, 2012, 03:43:27 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 03:04:07 AMIt's sad, but there really seems to be a lot of negativity associated with the word 'atheist.'

And that's entirely the result of theist ignorance and intolerance.

To which was my response that it may not be ignorance, but something more substanciated...basically disrespect.

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 06:25:55 PM

I don't know what nationality you hold dear, but let me try a different route.  Take your flag.  Mine is the U.S. flag.  Let's say a person or group of persons is dragging it though mud, stomping on it, pissing on it, burning it...use your imagination on all the different ways one can defile a piece of cloth to insult the one(s) that hold that cloth/flag dear.  Is there anything wrong with this?  It is just cloth afterall.
I was born and raised and am still an American, I don't see anything wrong with that. But I still don't see how that is similar to finding something funny. When I make fun of a concept (religious or not), I'm not dragging anything out and burning or peeing on it or trying to do anything I can to defile it, I just express what I find funny. That is like looking up at the flag and laughing, then moving on.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtWhy would such actions of one group cause another grief over a cloth?
For many different reasons.

Quote from: AnimatedDirtWhat worth is there in defending or even feeling the need TO defend a piece of cloth?
I have no idea.

Maybe instead of trying to analogize what your problems are, you could just say what your problems are.