News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

James Webb Space Telescope

Started by Tank, December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

James Webb Space Telescope Mirror Installation Reaches Halfway Point

After Hubble you can bet your life this one will have been tested to death!

EDIT: Generalised the thread title.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

That thing is spectacular. It is a testament to the human dedication to discovery. I am justifiably proud of that small segment of humanity that has developed the science and the intellect to make such things possible.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

i think the most impressive thing about the hubble project was that they were able to fix it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on December 24, 2021, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

i think the most impressive thing about the hubble project was that they were able to fix it

I agree. The optics that they used for the correction were/are the most accurate ever made.

Icarus

I am a bit confused about the schedule for the Launch of that spectacular piece of scientific endeavor. According to news, spread of the separate leaves are being tested to determine the dependability of the machine to do what it is supposed to do.

The leaves of the golden mirror must be folded so as to fit inside the rocket body that will deliver it some one and a half million miles into space.  The last I read was that the actual launch is scheduled for some time in October 2022. The hugely expensive project of 30 years of expense and effort had damned well better get it right the first time.  The involved individuals are being more than extremely careful about the whole deal.

Dark Lightning

I used to work in aerospace and defense. The launch of booster vehicles and the deployment of payloads is a very mature technology. Then again, things can go wrong in a myriad of ways. Knowing the people who worked on the alignment and deployment efforts over the years, it should be OK.

Tank

Tank

Tank

Icarus

I have obviously misread the launch date from a BBC source. My Bad.   

Hooray, it is on its' way.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on December 25, 2021, 09:27:50 PM
I have obviously misread the launch date from a BBC source. My Bad.   

Hooray, it is on its' way.

No, it was supposed to go up earlier. The most recent delay was a catch that snapped open and subjected the telescope to 'unexpected shock'. So it had to be checked over.

Recusant

Glad it got safely out of our gravity well. It appears to be carrying on with the "two weeks of terror" in good fettle as well. Touch wood.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

A successful deployment.  :dance:

"Webb Space Telescope's 'Golden Eye' Opens, Last Major Hurdle" | Voice of America

NASA's new space telescope opened its huge, gold-plated, flower-shaped mirror Saturday, the final step in the observatory's dramatic unfurling.

The last portion of the 6.5-meter (21-foot) mirror swung into place at flight controllers' command, completing the unfolding of the James Webb Space Telescope.

"I'm emotional about it. What an amazing milestone. We see that beautiful pattern out there in the sky now," said Thomas Zurbuchen, chief of NASA's science missions.

More powerful than the Hubble Space Telescope, the $10 billion Webb will scan the cosmos for light streaming from the first stars and galaxies formed 13.7 billion years ago. To accomplish this, NASA had to outfit Webb with the largest and most sensitive mirror ever launched—its "golden eye," as scientists call it.

Webb is so big that it had to be folded origami-style to fit in the rocket that soared from South America two weeks ago. The riskiest operation occurred earlier in the week, when the tennis court-size sunshield unfurled, providing subzero shade for the mirror and infrared detectors.

Flight controllers in Baltimore began opening the primary mirror Friday, unfolding the left side like a drop-leaf table. The mood was even more upbeat Saturday, with peppy music filling the control room as the right side snapped into place. After applauding, the controllers immediately got back to work, latching everything down. They jumped to their feet and cheered when the operation was finally complete two hours later.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank