News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

School murder

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 04, 2022, 12:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

In Belton High School today, about a half-mile from my home, an 18 year-old student murdered another student by stabbing him in the face and heart. It appears to have been over a girl. My grandson was there and experienced his first lockdown.  The victim was taken to the hospital where I work, but they could not save him. They could not stop the bleeding soon enough to save him.  Other than that, it was a good school day.

Icarus

Sorry that you and your Grandson has had to endure that kind of madness. Is there no end to irrational behavior?

Jealousy is one of the deadly sins. There is also the ill-conceived belief in sole possession.....that being a ramp up to jealous rage. 

Ecurb Noselrub

To answer your question, no, there is no end to irrational behavior. Humans are a bottomless pit of irrationality. If we could just stop killing each other it would be a start, but apparently that is impossible.

Tank

Absolutely horrific :( 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

I suspect that the accused will be tried as an adult, since he is 18. He brought the knife to school, so it would appear that his act was pre-meditated. He ran away after he stabbed the victim, so that suggests that he knew it was wrong. That would seem to undermine an insanity defense. The scene was bloody and witnessed by many students. It occurred in the bathroom, and then the victim dragged himself out, leaving a bloody trail.  I assume many will be traumatized by it. There is just nothing good to say about it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Furthermore, some students posted photos and videos on social media, adding an element of the macabre. Life has been devalued to such an extreme that events like this are bound to manifest in various circumstances. So sad, a life snuffed out right before graduation, right before he was about to launch out into adult life. I can't imagine his parents' grief.

Ecurb Noselrub

Today at least 14 children and 1 teacher were murdered at a Uvalde, Texas elementary school. The shooter was an 18 year-old student, and is dead. We are so fucked in this country. We can't even enact more stringent background checks, much less ban weapons of mass destruction.

billy rubin

it may not be constructive to say so,

but in my opimion

for what it is worth

if i might be so bold as to say . . .

what we need is a major mass shooting in the halls of congress, on that leaves multiple senators and/or congressmen dead .

if that happens, we might actually get some recognotion that change is appropriate.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Wolfen

Quote from: billy rubin on May 25, 2022, 12:02:52 AMit may not be constructive to say so,

but in my opimion

for what it is worth

if i might be so bold as to say . . .

what we need is a major mass shooting in the halls of congress, on that leaves multiple senators and/or congressmen dead .

if that happens, we might actually get some recognotion that change is appropriate.

Something similar already happened. I don't recall the event or year, but it wasn't too far back, and there was a shooting where Republicans were gathered. For a short while they somewhat woke up, but then they just went back to their old selves. People don't really change.

billy rubin

it needs to be in the the halls of congress, not a softball game.

right in the seat of government.

they wont pay attention until they know they are not safe, anywhere.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i dont like to see people hurt, but thesr assholes need to be as vulnerable as the little kids for whom they offer thoughts and prayers.

Wolfen

I don't disagree.

At a certain point, being the bigger man doesn't serve any valid purpose.

Ecurb Noselrub

The death toll is up to 19 now.

Firebird

19 kids and a teacher.
There was a shooting at a Republican baseball game a few years ago where at least one of the Congressmen was seriously wounded, and that did nothing. Nor did January 6th. Sandy Hook did nothing too.
You want to complain about someone, blame the Republicans. It's not "both sides" here. It's them.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

My thoughts are with the victims, their families and community. I have a thing or two to say about this, and it may sound "political" to a degree - I don't know yet. If it does, do let us not forget, should we end up in along-form back and forth, that these are more than statistics. They are actual kids no longer with us. They are parents, trying to deal with the worst kind of loss a person can be inflicted upon. They are members of the community whose sense of safety is shaken, if not utterly destroyed. Real human stories. Do let us not forget that. With that, I have a question;

What would you do though? (And this relates to the original post as well as the mass shooting)

- Make it harder to get hold of firearms. How? If you can't get one legally, you can get one in other ways. Heck, I could get a couple illegally in my otherwise very peaceful corner of the world, and there's more already in circulation in States. How do you stop a motivated (mass) murderer (looking at our own Fjotolf Hansen, born Anders Breivik) from getting the boomsticks and/or stabby things?

- Make certain public spaces into "fortresses." How, and respect people's freedoms? Who wants to, hyperbolically speaking, get strip searched before entering their school? How much would even that, if seriously implemented, actually help?

Personally, I think the problem is that in US culture ("Culture" not being the perfect word here, but it will do) it actually occurs to "a lot" people to go out and blast upon the innocents with deadly force. How do you fix that?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.