News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Sagittarius A*

Started by Recusant, May 12, 2022, 10:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

. . . AKA Sgr A*, aka Milky Way's central black hole. The video below gives a decent (if slightly technical) description of the new image of the heart of our galaxy.

Image credit: Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration

"Astronomers Reveal First Image of the Black Hole at the Heart of Our Galaxy" | Center for Astrophysics

QuoteAstronomers unveiled the first image of the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy in simultaneous press conferences around the world today.

The result provides overwhelming evidence that the object at the heart of our galaxy is indeed a black hole and yields valuable clues about the workings of such giants, which are thought to reside at the center of most galaxies. The image was produced by a global research team called the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) — which includes scientists from the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian (CfA) — using observations from a worldwide network of radio telescopes.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anne D.

Very cool indeed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/12/science/black-hole-photo.html
First paragraph:
"Astronomers announced on Thursday that they had pierced the veil of darkness and dust at the center of our Milky Way galaxy to capture the first picture of "the gentle giant" dwelling there: a supermassive black hole, a trapdoor in space-time through which the equivalent of four million suns have been dispatched to eternity, leaving behind only their gravity and violently bent space-time.
. . ."

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.