News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Toying with an idea...

Started by hackenslash, February 08, 2022, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyportne

Common sense isn't that common. But I agree that there are plenty of things we assume (ass-u-me) are true but are not true down where the rubber meets the road. I've collected a few sayings that sometimes are and sometimes are not true. I call them Opposites Attract. Maybe you can find something worthwhile in a few.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
When you change the way that you look at things, the things you look at change.
Myths are public dreams. Dreams are private myths
If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, let's get wasted and have the time of our lives.
Intellectuals say simple things in complicated ways. Artists say complicated things in simple ways.
I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was.
I'll believe it when I see it. You'll see it when you believe it.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Happiness isn't having the best of everything but making the best of everything you have.
If you fail to plan you plan to fail.
I said, "Better late than never." She said, "Better never than late!"
When the student is ready, a teacher will come. When the teacher is ready a student will come.
If you are too big for little things, you will be too little for big things.
When you don't feel like going to work, go to work and perhaps you'll feel like it.
Happiness is like moonshine. Make your own and you'll never run out. But keep in mind that life is not a playground. It's a classroom where you get the test first and the lesson after.

billy rubin

you dont have to fight to be a man

and

sometimes youhave to fight when youre a man

are absolutely not logically congruent. not sure whatkenny rogers point  was

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Mr. B

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 22, 2022, 12:09:57 PM
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I wonder if Dave is home, knock knock, wait ... wait ...wait, I'll try again tomorrow
I wonder if Dave is home, knock knock, wait ... wait ...wait, I'll try again tomorrow
I wonder if Dave is home, knock knock,
Ye what?
Hey Dave!

Dave's not home
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

The better you look, the more you will see.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Mr. B on February 22, 2022, 11:52:45 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 22, 2022, 12:09:57 PM
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I wonder if Dave is home, knock knock,
Ye what?
Hey Dave!

Dave's not home

In my universe where time is linear, it is impossible to do the same thing twice.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" isn't the definition of pretentious inanity but it is a good example.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Mr. B

Deep. I see your point. Now SEE MINE!

billy rubin

hack appears to have gotten on the bus with fightsong.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 26, 2022, 01:16:56 AM

He floats in and out.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2022, 07:53:03 AM

He floats in and out.

I highly doubt they take the same bus. ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 26, 2022, 07:20:47 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2022, 07:53:03 AM

He floats in and out.

I highly doubt they take the same bus. ;)

They'd probably be as nice as pie if they did. :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Mr. B