News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's Cooking?

Started by Bad Penny II, August 22, 2018, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

I'm experimenting with making stock.
Bones from a baked chicken in a pot on the wood heater.
The liquid from the baking tray put aside.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 22, 2018, 02:02:05 PM

Could be yummy.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Sounds picture worthy, what with the wood heater.

I'm trying to make bean soup in a crock pot.  I have a hard time getting beans to cooperate with me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Friend wife brought home a cheap "air fryer" thingie.   It actually made some day old french fries taste pretty good.  The recipe book that came with this doo-dad tells how to roast broccoli, mushrooms, and how to make fried onion rings or fried sweet potato strips in a just a few minutes.  Will wonders never cease? The thing works, all for $29.95 at the Target store.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on August 22, 2018, 11:22:43 PM
Friend wife brought home a cheap "air fryer" thingie.   It actually made some day old french fries taste pretty good.  The recipe book that came with this doo-dad tells how to roast broccoli, mushrooms, and how to make fried onion rings or fried sweet potato strips in a just a few minutes.  Will wonders never cease? The thing works, all for $29.95 at the Target store.

Sounds very healthy; I assume no fat used, but does it taste as good as traditionally fried food?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 22, 2018, 08:01:50 PM

I'm trying to make bean soup in a crock pot.  I have a hard time getting beans to cooperate with me.

I'm calling it a success.

I've been baking chickens for decades, add lemon garlic and soy and the disposal of residue is an issue.
Until recently I haven't been a soupy person.

I started the boiling of the bones on the stove.
The wood heater imparted enough heat to keep it going at no extra cost.
Boiled it a bit more on the stove this morning.

Remember the put aside baking liquids?
I wastefully discarded the top layer fat and used the jelly.

A cup of lentil/barley added to the mix
A couple of onions
Result: two large bowls of edible soup.

It's proof of concept, I can build on it.

Feck'n fools paying $3 a litre for stock.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 22, 2018, 08:01:50 PM

You have to speak to them very firmly - but they still usually come back with a rude remark behind your back later.

My usual ploy is to just chop up and pre-cook the ingredients - mushrooms or whatever - add 2/3rds to blender with stock and herbs and/or spices and whizz. Place in pan with un-whizzed ingredients and simmer for few minutes. Last night it was diced frozen veg (hit use-by date) with curry spices, great with naan bread!

I use porridge oats well whizzed in the blender with the stock, then add the veg or whatever and whizz again, to thicken if needed. Might be pea and bacon tomorrow, maybe even pea, sweetcorn and bacon.

I have not been that lucky with fish soups though, given up on those.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Essie the air frier thing is the hot number right now, hereabouts.  Yes, you use some oil on vaious items to maintain the taste that we have become so accustomed.  The items to be cooked are only coated with oil, not soaked or submerged.    Many of the recipes call for no oil at all.

Example: Fried onion rings.   separate onion into rings, dredge them in  dry flour.  use a beaten egg and panko breadcrumbs to make a dipping sauce.  Dip onion rings in the egg sauce and bread crumbs.  Place them in the air frier thingy. Set temp at 400F, cook for about 15 minutes.    Yummy!   A similar routine with sweet potato sliced into long slender strips.  make a mixture of cornstarch and a bit of salt.  toss the strips into the coating mixture to coat them lightly.  Set temp at 350 F and cook for 10 minutes,   Also yummy and perhaps more healthy than oil drenched french fried white potatoes.

This machine cooks the items with rapidly circulating hot air rather than conventional methods.  You can also cook meats the same way. No oil needed unless you want it oily. 

I'm pleased with this device ..........I will probably get over the fascination pretty soon.

Dave

The old "air fryers" used to be a sort of doughnut shaped pan that let the hot air from a gas cooker in to circulates under the cover, they were fashionable here about 30 years sgo. More like baking than frying, not as "convenient" as the deep fat fryer but far healthier.

I see they are more "sophisticated" now from the pictures in Amazon - self heating and electric. Some look just like my halogen cooker. In that I have to constantly keep turning stuff so the top layer does not over-cook, even turn to cinders! I do little actual frying, think I'll keep to my non-stick pans and oil spray were necessary!

Got no room for more gadgets in my  little kitchen anyway,
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on August 24, 2018, 12:28:22 AM
Essie the air frier thing is the hot number right now, hereabouts.  Yes, you use some oil on vaious items to maintain the taste that we have become so accustomed.  The items to be cooked are only coated with oil, not soaked or submerged.    Many of the recipes call for no oil at all.

Example: Fried onion rings.   separate onion into rings, dredge them in  dry flour.  use a beaten egg and panko breadcrumbs to make a dipping sauce.  Dip onion rings in the egg sauce and bread crumbs.  Place them in the air frier thingy. Set temp at 400F, cook for about 15 minutes.    Yummy!   A similar routine with sweet potato sliced into long slender strips.  make a mixture of cornstarch and a bit of salt.  toss the strips into the coating mixture to coat them lightly.  Set temp at 350 F and cook for 10 minutes,   Also yummy and perhaps more healthy than oil drenched french fried white potatoes.

This machine cooks the items with rapidly circulating hot air rather than conventional methods.  You can also cook meats the same way. No oil needed unless you want it oily. 

I'm pleased with this device ..........I will probably get over the fascination pretty soon.

Sounds very interesting. There are so many types of worktop cooking gadgets now, it seems one could easily get by without the traditional oven. My blender will even heat my soups using friction but it's so noisy I finish it off in the microwave.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

No one

Today I made:
Salmon roulettes served with spring mix and balsamic vinaigrette.
Seared Scallops with garlic Parmesan Risotto with a lemon beurre blanc.
Balsamic glazed Asparagus, grilled yellow squash, oven roasted pesto stuffed tomatoes. 

Tank

Quote from: No one on August 27, 2018, 07:53:56 AM
Today I made:
Balsamic glazed Asparagus, grilled yellow squash, oven roasted pesto stuffed tomatoes.
Who was the date? ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

No one:
Today I made:

Tank:
Who was the date?

Princess Buttercup

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on August 27, 2018, 07:53:56 AM
Today I made:

Sounds great. Did you pair with wine?

No one

No one:
Today I made:

Ecurb Noselrub:
Sounds great. Did you pair with wine?

Negative. I do not drink. Alcohol and chronic depression make for miserable bedfellows.